Saturday 12 January 2019

Saturday 12th January 2019 - Onto My Next Adventure ( End of My 3rd Week )

Saturday 12th January 2019 - Day 15

Another rare beautiful day. Woke up early had a shower and packed some lunch for a day out at Steveston Village









































Took loads of photos but walked both ends of  Steveston Village.

Highlight this year was not the boats selling frozen fish and buckets of various sizes of local prawns but the fresh herring sale for charity further down the wharf near Gary Park and the wild sea lions  waiting for their lunch.

The most magnificent creatures but they can take off your body parts therefore signs are posted everywhere not to interact or feed the sea lions as they are not the friendly circus types you find in zoos trained to perform tricks for treats.

A thorough walk around Gary Park including a small Japanese garden- my binoculars in my bag I always pack came in really handy spotting different types of tub boats and their barges carrying different types of cargo and also container ships and vehicle carrying ferries .

Then there was the wildlife ducks seagulls the size of chickens and other birds along the ponds and dykes. Cats tails and Rosehip bushes full of thorns. Interesting no swans or squirrels this year wandering around.

There is a community building housing dragon  boats and other boats in the restoration or building process on display as you walk past.

The old Chinese bunkhouse at the end of the board walk at one end, the old boatsheds and Japanese fishing village houses all turned into a museum site.

Then there was the Georgia Strait Cannery now also a museum open to the public at the other end of Steveston Fishing Village before Gary Park.

I considered some salmon nuggets or fish and chips from Pathos on the wharf however after sighting the prices decided maybe not. Disappointing no salmon nuggets anyway. A doorman at the Century Plaza Hotel told me about this place many years ago.

A walk around Steveston Village was next on the list. First stop the creepy man in his creepy bakery that has been there for years - look the door was actually open and there were people inside including kids so I felt it was safe to enter and sample his bread for the first time - yummy but not convincing enough to purchase a loaf of his sourdough in case he tried to lure me in again.

To get to Steveston Village catch the Canada Line to the end ie Richmond Brighouse then catch the 401 402 to Steveston Village. I caught the 401 to #1 Rd which seems quicker then catching the 402 bus ( scenic route via Spender & Minoru Richmond)

Sunday 13th January 2019 - Day 16

Another beautiful day - didn't quite make it on a ferry to Bowen Island but did spend a few hours in Horseshoe Bay. Not feeling the best today but hoping I am not coming down with the flu.

Photos to be attached.









6.16 pm and the buses from Park Royal to Vancouver are packed and there are heaps of people waiting for the next one. The beautiful clear day has turned into a very foggy night with very poor visibility.

Waiting for any bus to take me back downtown. Buses on Sunday night are few and far between.

Monday 14th January 2019 - Day 17

In all the years I have come over to Canada I have never been to Jericho Beach.

Today my intention was to go to Kitsilano Beach but I ended up walking all the way from Fir St to Jericho Beach and back onto West 4th. No gym today - I have no idea how many kms I walked today stopping at almost every access there was to the beach and through the park's along the way.

I saw Canadian Geese mowing the lawn at Kitsilano Beach a squirrel on a wire at Hastings Mill Park and then there were all the rabbits and Canadian Geese both mowing the lawn at Jericho Beach. Where did all the rabbits come from? I thought they were some type of large squirrel in different colours! The rabbits were happy chasing each other through the bushes and into the boat yards.







It started off as a beautiful day but became cooler and extremely foggy as the afternoon turned to night.

A stop off at 4th along the way to select 10 Purdys chocolates and some essential grocery shopping on my way back on Davie Street.

Dinner of my seafood chowder and a sandwich.

Catch up on news and my blogging.

End of another day.

Tuesday 15th January 2019 - Day 18

It is getting towards the end of my trip and I am getting stressed about returning home - I really needed a break not from work but from my so called family. It is not good for my health and my body knows it is almost time to go home. My skin is really suffering from stress and I am itchy all night.

Some days you just don't want to do anything just sleep in and have a long shower.

Today was one of those days but I did manage to make it to a late Zumba class at the YMCA on my way back from New Westminster and seeing the lights out at Lafarge Lake. I caught the Expo Line on the skytrain first out to New Westminister getting off to walk along the waterside boardwalk to take in the view of the boats on the working river. I visited the Riverside Market building and stopped off to look inside the grocery market the world's tallest soldier and the rather large Salvation Army Thrift Shop ( I never visit thrift shops as I always thought they were dirty places to visit but this one had a collection of some interesting glassware and gadgets which I photographed some pieces of). I also visited the Safeway Supermarket there and the Miniso that opened there as well as watch a fright train pull in or out??? ( it was going backwards)

Next stop to Loughheed Town Centre but decided nothing much had changed so stayed on the sky train back on the Expo Line towards Surrey Central just to cross over the bridge that spans over the Fraser River specially built for the sky train only. Unfortunately I could not video it as  the Skytrains in both directions I was on were old ones that were not walk through carriages. Visitors on a good clear day fight for the very front seat in the front carriage just to take photos and videos of the sky train crossing over this bridge. It is a really amazing view.

Back onto the Skytrain towards Production Way- University on the Millenium Line changing onto the Evergreen Extension Line to Lefarge Lake - Douglas ie the end of the line to see the lights around the lake.

So beautiful. As it became darker from late afternoon to night.

Into my Zumba class at the YMCA just in time with about 15 minutes to spare - quite a good class my last before leaving Vancouver for Whistler. Remember I wanted to compare it to the not so great one time only cardio dance class I went to a while back.

Back at the hostel a quick shower and laundry a day early to get it out of the way. Wash half an hour dry 1 hour. This time I threw everything in the dryer - nothing happened to them . Done by 11.30 pm . Sleep.

New roommate from Melbourne - not happy she snores and tosses and turns very loudly. She swapped rooms because she was complaining her roommates were where. Gee thanks for putting her in our quiet 2 person room!

Photos to be uploaded later.






Wednesday 16th January 2019 - Day 19

Today was a do nothing day . I packed in advance for my trip to Whistler. Last non rain day for the week.

No gym today - oh yeh that's right I went in search of my work colleagues recommendation Cartems Donuts on Symour & W Pender. I got a free one because it was my first visit. I ended up getting the house favourites Earl Grey and Apple Friter - Saving the earl grey for Friday's trip to Whistler, ate the apple fritter straight away and thought it was a little greasy for my liking but my favourite and I chose it double chocolate gluten free! Wanted to try the London Fog but it had heaps of cream in it. And I hate donuts!!! Have I changed my mind not quite yet? Will let you know when I try the Earl Grey donut!

Thursday 17th January 2019 - Day 20

Woken up at 5am in the morning by housekeeping searching for something or someone in our room. No warning given. Roommate lodged a complaint with front desk -  she was not happy. Apparently someone from room 415 made a call for assistance but we all thought we were the only 3 girls up on the 4th floor except for a guy who works for the hostel. Staff thought it may have been a prank call so decided to send someone up to check all rooms on the 4th floor. They didn't handle it very well and should have at least knocked first and announced who they were  instead of entering with their master swipe card and searching the room with a torch only saying they were looking for something - what drugs? A dead body from an overdose perhaps - Not in our room! Try level 2 & 3 where all the weirdos stay! ( the reason my latest roommate asked to move rooms)

Final packing day - fridge emptied into 1 bag, food locker cleared out and label removed non lactose milk to free food section both ski bag and main suitcase in storage downstairs in case the lift is out of order tomorrow morning.

Final trip before it started pouring with rain to Metrotown T & T and Chinatown T & T to purchase some last minute items to take to Whistler with me - I think Peking duck, Chinese whole wheat bread, Chinese croutons or donuts and golden berries will be non existent in Whistler!

Dinner of left overs, final blog then sleep by 10 pm. Wake up to shower 7 am alarm set.







No comments:

Post a Comment