Saturday 4 March 2017

Saturday 4th March 2017 - Art Souterrain et Nuit Blanche!!!!

Art Souterrain or Art Underground in English is exactly what this is.

In Winter temperatures in Montreal fall way below -20 degrees c outside therefore they have created an underground city connecting major shopping malls buildings and subway stations via a series of tunnels which I found myself becoming lost in (my sense of direction is much better above ground!)

Art Souterrian is a free event between 4th and 26th March 2017 in conjunction with En Lumiere and consists of a series of 54 artworks installations and performances on exhibition throughout this underground city.

It starts at Gare Centrale Est continuing through Le 1000 de la Gauchetiere  onto Bonaventure , Place de la Cite Internationale OACI , Place Victoria , Centre de Commerce Mondial de Montreal with a split to Edifice Jacques Parizeau and Palasis des Congres de Montreal finally finishing in the Complexe Guy Favreau Ouest.

I really became lost between Place Victoria and Centre de Commerce Mondial de Montreal where the split started - as a result I missed artworks installations and performances between #s  24 and 33 inclusive. Besides failing to see all 54 artworks installations and performances, I was also disappointed that I could not find #3 a giant installation of inflatables at Gare Centrale - it was the only piece of artwork I really wanted to find and see . I was sure I was at the right location at Gare Centrale yet looking up down left and right I could not see any sign of the artwork therefore moved onto the next piece of artwork after spending at least 30 minutes looking for it!

I am so glad I made an effort to see as much of Art Souterrain on my own as I could having failed to complete the Illuminart circuit also on around the same dates around downtown Montreal (another event only held at night conisting of 25 artworks installations and performances also part of En Lumiere) twice over 2 nights with my German roommate.

I enjoyed Art Souterrain very much rating it an 8/10 however I did not enjoy Illiminart as much as it was much smaller and became unbearable to spend a longer period of time at due to it being an outdoor event where temperatures during the night did actually fall below -20 degrees c . I could not feel my hands, toes and ears a lot of the time and the wind chill was almost unbearable at times.

Photos of Art Souterrain attached







































































Nuit Blanche
Photos attached








No comments:

Post a Comment