Saturday 4 March 2017

Sunday 26th February 2017 - Old Montreal & The Notre Dame Basilica Sunday Service

It was freezing this morning but everyone was out and about down in Old Montreal.
I had no idea where I was going but knew Old Montreal was somewhere to the right from the hostel so I just kept walking in that direction.


When I hit a street that was close to where I thought Old Montreal started, I took a right turn up a street which led me towards The Notre Dame Basilica. What a church it was. In Toronto my roomate had mention that this was one of the attractions I must go and see whilst in Montreal but I think this was already on my list of attractions to see.

The exterior of the building was already quite impressive but I wanted to see the interior of the church.

20 minute daily guided tours in English and in French of the church did not start until 12.30 pm and cost CAN$6 admission fee used to finance conservation and restoration works. This was due to Sunday masses. It was almost 11 am when I arrived outside the church and after asking a few questions about what language the service was in and whether people of other religions were welcomed, I decided to attend the 11 am service which lasted approximately 1 hour. I was advised though that if I decided to attend the service to commit to staying the entire duration of the service.

The service was entirely in French however we were advised by the priest at the beginning of the service that a translation of the readings was available in English at the front of the church in the stands for English speaking visitors to the service.

I picked up a program of the service which was all in French and the English translation of the readings during the service. I think I made a logical decision to attend the 11 am service. It was cold outside and an hour inside the church would not only keep me warm but an opportunity to observe the grand interior of the church and also experience a service entirely in French. I think I wasn't the only one with this idea of attending the 11 am service just to see the interior of the church and keep warm.

Being a non Catholic I did not participate in Confession or Communion - it would not be right for me to do so as an Anglican.

The service was interesting - led by a pastorial team of a priest and there were at least 2 women in white robes and sash. I didn't quite understand this - I did not think women were allowed on the pastorial team in Catholic churches for one thing and were these women nuns? I don't think so as they would have been wearing their habits. The other thing I observed was one of the men on the pastoral team I suspect is gay just by observing the way he acted, the way he performed his pastorial duties at and around the alter and the way he walked - in a traditional Catholic church this would certainly have been prohibited. I began to wonder what type of Catholic church this actually was. Are the French Canadian Catholics more liberal with their faith? What does the word "Orthodox" actually mean when Montréalers are described as that? All the members of the pastorial team I observed also had very bad posture!

It was a beautiful service which actually bought me to tears. I loved the choir singing and the organ.

As the pastorial team left at the end of the service I did find it a little disrepectful that some of the congregation in the pews started taking selfies whilst the pastorial team were still inside the church and the music still playing. They could have waited a little longer.

After the service I went for a toliet break and took countless photos of the interior of the Notre Dame Basilica . I also spend quite a lot of time looking at different aspects of the church from the spiral stair cases to the stain glass to the doors the paintings the sculptures the candles the alter and the chapels attached. The dome shaped ceiling of the church was the highlight.

There are 5 main feature areas within the Notre Dame Basilica (excluding the stain glass windows)

1.The sanctuary and the altar
2. The pulpit
3. The organ
4. Chapel of Notre-Dame du Sacre-Coeur
5. Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament

After spending time inside The Notre Dame Basilica it was time for me to go outside into the cold again and explore the rest of Old Montreal (Vieux-Montreal)

I walked and I walked without a clue of where I was heading or how far I had walked, stumbling onto old hotels bars restaurants even musicians and quaint cafes - one of which looked really cosy and that I took photos of to remind me that I must return and have a meal here at a later date - typical I ran out of time and never got the chance to return - but there is always next time I visit Montreal.

I kept walking and knew I was somewhere near the ports of Old Montreal - but I was searching for one building in particular and that was another one of those grand old buildings - Bonsecour Marche. The exterior of the building may be grand from the oversized raised heavy double doors leading to the entrances of the building to the steep sets of stairs and of course the huge silver dome which I like to use as a landmark if lost. The interior of the building is not as exciting - totally refurbished to house restaurants boutique museums art galleries and boutiques selling expensive or exclusive products tailored to tourists. For me it was basically a toliet stop and regrouping time before heading back to the hostel. The top floor of the building was completely closed to the public as well.

It was getting late in the afternoon and without the aid of using the closest Metro subway which I had no idea of its location - I started my long walk back to the hostel through Old Montreal along cobble stone streets and old lamp posts towards hopefully The Notre Dame Basilica. Once I reach  landmark I will know how to get back to the hostel.

End of night 3 day 2 in Montreal.

As soon as I get back to the hostel it is dinner and planning for the following day's activities.

Photos still to be attached - Unfortunately no photos available please refer to Post Script in more recent blogs.















No comments:

Post a Comment