Friday 14 April 2017

Friday 14th April - Sunday 16th April 2017 Sculptures @ Scenic World & The Blue Mountains Revisited

Being Good Friday (a public holiday) I did not expect anything to be open therefore I planned in advance by purchasing extra food on Thursday night (late night shopping) and packing extra clothes for my trip to the Blue Mountains on Good Friday.

After doing my laundry and finalising my packing I took the 4.18 pm train from Central Station to Katoomba.  It is about a 2 hour trip.

I arrive at Katoomba at 6.20 pm and walk to Katoomba YHA ( 3 nights booked in an 8 share female dorm - unfortunately on nights 1 and 3, 2 different roommates were loud snorers so I didn't get much sleep!) via the main street where I find there are plenty of cafes restaurants and takeaway places open - I had packed too much food!!! I think I could have survived easily even with the local supermarkets (Coles Woolworths and Aldi) being closed for 1 day.

I had not eaten dinner yet as I have just checked in and unpacked. My food is in the fridge and on a shelf in the kitchen downstairs.

Should I have pancakes or sausages tomorrow morning? Maybe both! With the works - spinach,  fruit, yoghart, eggs and cheese - I forgot the maple syrup, honey and nutella therefore will have to make a caramel sauce or melt some chocolate Easter eggs with some cream.  One thing is for sure on this trip - I will not be making a pasta dish from scratch - I did remember not to pack any pasta, tomato products or Italian herbs in my bag of food! I tend to make a pasta dish  or even better get someone else to make one for me (more then once usually) on every single trip therefore this will be a pasta free trip!!!!

Sorry no photos yet but there will be heaps tomorrow!

Woke up quite early on Saturday morning. First thing was to pack my lunch and make breakfast - no time for pancakes this morning I just prepared them for tomorrow's breakfast. Sausages (mini minty lamb organic ones) and orange juice it was then!

I then had a shower and walked up to the newsagency to recharge my Opal card in time to catch the 8.55 am 686 bus to Scenic World. I still had not purchased a ticket online yet but when I arrived a little after 9 am the queues at Scenic World were not very long and tickets before 10 am were discounted - I purchased a day ticket with unlimited rides on the Scenic Railway ( the steepest passenger train in the world), Scenic Cableway and Scenic Skyway (with a glass bottom that opens up) plus entry to Sculptures at Scenic World as well entry to Sculpture Otherwise on at the Blue Moutains Cultural Centre. 

Once I had purchased my ticket a time slot is allocated - on with the wristband which had 9.00 am printed on it. First stop the Scenic Railway. Again the queue was very short at this time of the day.

I had no idea where I was heading since the last time I visited Scenic World was in Primary amd High School and the Cableway did not exist then - only the Scenic Railway which was all open back then and the Scenic Skyway which did not have a glass bottom floor that opened up - all I know is I was given a map and the route was drawn on the map in black marker indicating down to the floor of the Jamison Valley by Scenic Railway, walk along the Scenic Walkway to see the Sculptures then back up via Scenic Cableway and across to the otherside towards Echo Point via Katoomba Falls Park via the Scenic Skyway.

The Scenic Railway - a lot has changed in terms of safety since I went as a school student on excursion many years ago - no more hanging out of open carriages - all carriages are now entirely caged in. The incline of the railway is 52 degrees apparently - that hasn't changed and I remember not been the least scared riding it all the way down but now as an adult I find that I actually had to press the seat adjustment button which has 3 options to the most inclined angle to compensate for the steepness! There was no one sitting next to me either so things can slide on the way down. The Scenic Railway starts off flat then travels downwards through a really dark tunnel before continuing downwards in the open rainforest to the floor of the Jamison Valley. Feel free to scream if you like I certainly did but I loved it . Ride #1 completed.

(Photos attached - not too good as I was too scared to let go of the hand rail to take photos on the way down - optional souvenir photos taken and to purchase which I did at the end of my day there from the gift shop).















The Scenic Walkway and Sculptures At Scenic World - once the Scenic Railway reached the floor of Jamison Valley it was up to everyone which direction they wanted to walk - I was so unsure of where to start so headed off in the direction everyone else was heading off in. So many interesting artifacts to look at along the trails but wait I was here to see the Sculptures at Scenic World so after following the crowds for a while and taking heaps of intetesting photos decided to find the entrance of the Sculptures exhibition and follow it's trail. Start found confusion starts to set in after finding artist # 1  it skipped to artist # 10 where was artist # 2 - oh that wooden panelling with slots cut out in it was artist # 2 and I walked straight past it not even taking a photo of it  - it quickly became apparent that the trail was a 2 way trail therefore artists could be on either side of the trail. To help me along the trail and to avoid missing sculptures, I photographed not just each sculpture but each of the signs which were all numbered and with the artist's name, title and description of their "work" (I say this because in some cases their work I thought didn't exactly qualify as a "sculpture" - refer photos and decide for yourself). Some sculptures blended so well into the natural envionment it was very easy to miss them. 36 sculptures including a school contribution concludes the Sculptures @ Scenic World trail at the base of the Scenic Cableway.

(Photos attached - hopefully in some type of order)

Sorry problems uploading photos again.




























































 









The Scenic Cableway - back up we go to where I started this morning. A smooth ride except for 1 tower to cross creating a bit of a bump and rock motion. Stand up only - no seating - reminds me of the Grouse Mt Gondola except that crosses over at least 2 towers creating a similar bump and rock motion and a little less smooth as it seems to be a little older then this Scenic Cableway (it's not called a gondola here).

(Photos attached hopefully)


The Scenic Skyway - no trip to Scenic World would be complete without a crossing on this cable car to the other side of Scenic World where you can walk to Echo Point or Katoomba Falls Park even back to Katoomba town centre. Back when I rode this during my school years there was no glass bottom that opened up to reveal the Valley below - it was a much rougher ride too. Now the ride is spacious shorter and smoother. The scenery from the Scenic Skyway is unbelievable - it is standing but the middle has a platform that contains the glass bottom and there are a few seats on either side of the cable car - not quite as modern as the Peak to Peak Gondolas in Whistler Blackcomb but same concept of the saggy cable between to points with the valley below and water somewhere along the way. Whistlers saggy cable is a lot longer and there is a river between the 2 mountains, here there is a magnificant water fall instead to look at!


Katoomba Falls Park and Return Scenic Skyway - seeing the falls from the Scenic Skyway , I wondered how I could get a closer view of them. Alighting the cable car I decided to follow the crowd and walk down a few sets of stairs along a path to Katoomba Falls Park then continued to follow the crowd down to the falls. Some continued to walk to Echo Point and Katoomba town centre others back to the main entrance of Scenic World. After taking quite a few photos I took the lazy route back to the Scenic Skyway to take it back to the main entrance of Scenic World. A good move in time to catch the 1.00 pm bus back from Scenic World to Katoomba town centre and to view Sculptures Otherwise at the Blue Mts Cultural Centre which I found out upon arrival closed at 2 pm that day. I arrived back in Katoomba around 1.30 pm giving me only half an hour to view it. I think I made the right decision not to stop at Echo Point on my way back on the bus to Katoomba - it was crowded with people (please refer to one of my previous Blue Mountain blogs on Echo Point)

A full 5 hour day next stop - Woolworths for some extra juice and water as well as some lunch for tomorrow's adventures whatever they may or may not be.

(more photos to be uploaded)














































Rating : 9/10 Scenic World a very enjoyable day out - Sculptures @ Scenic World is art for everyone to enjoy  and easy to understand and perhaps one of many smaller art events in the lead up to Sydney's main light music and ideas festival VIVID. 

My tips for visiting Scenic World - get up early  and avoid the crowds during peak seasons - day passes are often discounted before 10 am entry to Scenic World , travel on public transport it is cheaper using your Opal card although there are other options Trolley Bus or Big Red Explorer Double Decker Bus  if you want to visit other attractions such as toy and train museum . Travel on Sundays using public transport and Opal Card is even cheaper but always check timetables for first and last buses to and from Katoomba town centre/Scenic World - it is a long walk back to Katoomba if you miss the last bus! Pack lots of water and snacks even lunch - it saves money although it is nice to have a meal or snacks at Scenic World's eateries - great views of the mountains. Photos are taken while you are waiting for the Scenic Railway and Scenic Cableway - it is often nice to select and purchase these photos as souvenirs at the end of your visit from the shop (which I decided to do along with a pin which I collect) . Average time spent at Scenic World is 1.5 hours - my suggestion at least 4 hours especially in perfect weather. Don't hike alone and stay on the trails - one way Scenic Ride tickets are available to hikers. Always check the weather forecast and Scenic World website before planning your day there.

















Easter Sunday in Katoomba and it is 11 am - the line at the bus stop to catch the 686 to Scenic World and Echo Point is all the way around the corner almost outside the Trolley Bus Shoppe and I'm not talking about a single line either! So glad I visited Scenic World yesterday and early in the morning. Today I was able to sleep in and catch the 11.26am train to Leura to explore. I didn't end up making my pancakes for breakfast today because I slept in but I did pack my lunch, half of which I ate for breakfast!

On the train it is a quick 13 - 15 minute trip from Katoomba Station to Leura Station. This is the only form of public transport between the 2 suburbs unless you book the Trolley Bus or Big Red Explorer Double Decker Tour Bus. Remember there is usually only 1 train every hour or so between certain times in both directions on the Blue Mountains Line. 

Unsure of where to go or what to do in Leura for the day, I researched what was on in the Blue Mountains over the Easter weekend - The Everglades Historic House and Gardens was having an Easter egg hunt and family activities day for the kids. Since I have never been to these gardens I decided to try and find my way there. A little out of Leura's town centre it takes 7 minutes to get there by car however being a Sunday and a public holiday there was absolutely no public transport to get me there unless I book the trolley bus or big explorer red double decker tour bus. A large portion of people walked from Leura either the station or from town centre. Google maps indicated that it would take me 22 or 23 minutes to walk from Leura station to the Everglades however because it was downhill, return walk according to Google maps indicated a 25 minute walk which makes sense as it takes longer to walk uphill. I had no idea where I was walking to get there therefore relied on Google maps all the way - again Google maps took me the scenic route however being a fast walker I think it took me less time - another story walking back to Leura - I got a bit lost even using Google maps and I wasn't the only one - I spotted an Asian couple using their smart phone completely lost and having to ask for directions from the first local that walked past. On my walks I saw many groups of Asians - some stopping and sitting on fences and having a rest along their walk.

I arrived at Everglades Visitors Centre on Everglades Rd around 12 noon. Entry for Easter Sunday was only $5 flat rate for adults  - extra if you wanted to participate in the egg hunt. The car park and surrounding streets were full of cars.







The first thing I did after buying an entry ticket was getting a map of the Everglades.
Then I followed the main driveway and down a trail towards where I heard the sounds of excited kids. Kids with their families were everywhere enjoying a picnic on the lawns, participating in face painting, craft activities and other activities such as musical chairs and the 150 donuts eating competition ( watching the kids run to the trees where this activity started was fun - each kid trying to secure themselves a spot for one of the 150 donuts up for grabs - with the announcement that they shouldn't run out of them but they might straight after the number of donuts was announced) and of course the main activity the Giant Easter Egg Hunt complete with a rather skinny saggy and floppy Easter bunny (you could tell he was not real!)

As the tea rooms in the main Everglades House were closed, catering was available and there was a coffee van available for purchase of hot beverages as well as a food truck - most people bought their own picnic lunch and there was certainly plenty of lawn to spread out on around the historic house and gardens. Everglades House and the Art Gallery were both open for viewing within the gardens.



















After spending time in the area where the kids activities were, I followed the crowds again and took the trails that led to the following

#8 The Lookout - a magnificent view of the surrounding bush land covering the cliffs and the drop of the valley below. Also in the distance views of surrounding mountains. An alternative to the crowded Echo Point and trails to views of the 3 sisters and Jamison Valley.














# 9 Grotto Pool - a not so natural waterfall with a rockpool below. Debatable whether the pool is still swimable due to depth and water quality - it is afterall a man made waterfall and pool - my favourite spot in the gardens. This area can get crowded as it is quite small but worth the walk down to it. Parents should not leave their children unsupervised along this trail or near the water fall and pool. There is a cute little bridge at the bottom of the water fall which is a safer spot for photos as rocks and trail paths when wet can become slippery.











Log Cabin - I am pretty sure I saw this as it was sign posted and there is only one near Everglades House. You can't actually go into it - it is just a unique building.




Everglades House & Courtyard - as mentioned previously the tea rooms were closed but it was open for viewing. An original Art Deco house with most of its original fittings and features except the kitchen. It's curved stair cases with black iron bannisters typical of the Art Deco era. The upstairs female bathroom with a huge central poo brown on cream coloured tiled bathtub with 2 sets of  hot and cold water taps and what looked like 2 jet spa openings and a central drain with matching bathroom sink, toilet and bathroom tiles and the male bathroom of similar description downstairs except with a toliet, 3 extra large hooks and a large shower cubical and sauna instead of a bathtub. The dining area overlooks a courtyard with #6 "pool" with a water feature and the other rooms especially the living room has spectaular views of the Jamison Valley from a very large window.
































Art Gallery - free entry today and worth a wonder around in. An artist was there demonstrating her lino art skills. The 2nd #5 "pool" next to Art Gallery was interesting too. No longer a pool for swimming in just a shallow water feature surrounded by a border of topery shrubs - a lone duck was happy swimming and diving for whatever it could find in the pool.






Somewhere between #2, #3, #4 & #7 - there was something that looked like a maze according to a little kid. I skipped this but may revisit it next time I go there. The spectacular colours of Autumn reds oranges and yellows were everywhere around the Everglades Historic House and Gardens against the backdrop of shades of greens blue brown greys and blacks of the surrounding Jamison Valley. Sprinkles of purple folage were still visible in the courtyard.

Rating 8/10 - At least walk down to see the Grotto Pool and view Everglades Historic House. I spent around 1.5 -  2 hours there, I could have spent longer but was worried about it getting dark and having to wait for a train back to Katoomba which usually only run once every hour. Disadvantage as a tourist attraction it is a little too far from Leura town centre and kack of public transport to it doesn't help. Google maps not the best option as it always takes you along the scenic routes! At least it got me there but not all the way back!

Back in Leura town centre and I go for a shop at Woolworths and again in Katoomba at Aldi as well. Just in time to catch the next train - I had 6 minutes until the next train arrived at Leura station. The clouds are looming over Katoomba.



Back to Sydney tomorrow.

Sleep in then finally an attempt at making those pancakes - damn it - it didn't work again - either it is the hostel's fry pans which are of inferior quality or that I just can't use premade pancake mix from the supermarket - this is the second time I have attempted to make supermarket pancake mix at a hostel and failed! No problems with making them from scratch at home over and over again! Eggs tomatos and ham for breakfast much better.

Back in Sydney by mid afternoon - so tired.

Easter show tomorrow? Still thinking about it............








No comments:

Post a Comment