Thursday 23 November 2017

Thursday 23rd - Saturday 25th November 2017 - Melbourne Trip # 3

Straight after work again but this time on the Thursday night rather then Friday night overnight trip on the XPT Sydney to Melbourne in Economy class for the annual Myer AGM held at 11 am Level 6 Mural Hall Myer Melbourne store on Friday 24th November 2017.

First a trip to the toilets upon arrival around 7.30 am at Southern Cross Station and brush my teeth, followed by a shower and change of clothes at Travellers Aid next door $7.50 (without towel hire) and recharging my phone whilst having a shower. Then a quick trip to Woolworths above the station for some breakfast.

I really wanted to attend this AGM as I anticipated there would be cat fights - disappointed there weren't any. The meeting was intense and very long but respectful to a degree.

My text message to my manager below summaries it all.

"That was the longest AGM I have ever attended  2.5 hours long with a barrage of questions and there was no Solomon Lew - he had Mr Leiberman as a representative who asked a zillion questions instead of the 2 allowed by each share holder but he claimed he was representing 5000 shareholders hence he was entitled to ask more then 2 questions. Nothing in the retail world we don't already know is happening! Full house lunch was under catered for - not surprised with the amount of people that attended. Could not take any photos or video. "

Question time by shareholders (some shareholders were actually taking copeous amounts of notes throughout the AGM including the older gentleman seated next to me) took up a large portion of the meeting running to 1.30 pm and beyond - some shareholders opting to leave earlier. A buffet lunch was served straight afterwards - a whole lot of vegetarian salads and some finger sandwiches which some shareholders missed out on because the lunch was under catered for due to the large amount of shareholders that attended the meeting.

Do shareholders come for the lunch or did they attend this year's AGM because they were concerned about the financial position of Myer? I only attend AGMs when company's I hold shares in are performing poorly that's for sure. Had no idea about the lunch afterwards until I attended my very first Myer AGM last year -  you could tell there were budget cuts again, lunch was pretty ordinary and "leaner" compared to last year's.

After the AGM and lunch I went upto the retiring chairman Mr McClintock and wished him the best for the future in whatever he does and same to Ann Brennan also retiring from the board and thanked Mr McClintock for keeping the AGM "respectable".

I would have loved to have spoken to the other board members but lunch and what was next on my agenda was more important. After all it will be my last trip down to Melbourne for quite some time. I was also unprepared with questions and there is always next year's Myer AGM! Maybe I should haved asked if I could have a job at Myers especially after a question in regards to having a Chinese representative on the board of directors in the future.

After the AGM and lunch I had a good look around the Myer City store at the gift emporium and even going on the "Santa Express Train" which for the first time was a virtual reality train! Way to go Myer I loved it! Rating 8/10 - it was short and sweet but free admission and not much of a queue - options after exiting the train ride free activities for kids or option to have photos taken with Santa for a fee.







Level 6 Myer Melbourne City department store where the gift emporium and Santaland virtual reality train is located.










Photos attached - no photos of the AGM as it is disallowed.




The festive spirit on Bourke Street Mall outside Myer and David Jones department stores in Melbourne


I was going to take a train trip down to Frankston to the Myer clearance store but it was getting too hot therefore am resting my feet in the members lounge  at the main NGV with a cup of hot green tea and a biscuit while recharging my phone - a better choice out of the heat. Cloaked my backpack and took a sneak peek of the Triennial  exhibitions being set up at the NGV. A whopping big blister has formed under the sole of my right foot where I place a rather large bandaid over to stop it from popping. A quick toliet stop as well.

I went to the incorrect NGV for the exhibition I wanted to see which just started this week and was at the Ian Potter Centre NGV at Federation Square and not the main NGV,  so off I went into the heat again with my phone barely recharged a few percents more.




I got to the Ian Potter Centre NGV and cloaked my backpack - had 15 minutes to see and photograph the exhibition on the 3rd floor and a quick visit to the members lounge to fill my Contigo with hot water for my long train trip back to Sydney. Done just in time before 5 pm closing. I had to also allow myself time to navigate my way up and down this NGV's floors as it has one way escalators going up only but to get back down to each floor you have to use particular lifts  or use the different sets of stairs - lost? I certainly was. Once I found my way to the members lounge I knew I could take the stairs directly down to the ground floor and cloaking. Alternatively I was advised to wait until 4.50 pm when all the escalators were reversed to go in the opposite direction only ie downwards.
























Finally onto my next destination - the Night Noodle Markets! It was my very last chance before they close on Sunday so off I go back in the heat. I was going to get some dinner there but decided it was too difficult to transport the food for my train trip therefore just had a Seven Eleven large $1 slurpy which I mixed all 3 limited edition flavours of pear gauva and lychee but they had run out of lids therefore I took one of the coffee cup lids which looked as if it would fit and placed it on my slurpy cup - with a bit of effort yes it did fit! This cooled me down but also made me sick! I didn't really feel like any dinner after this so just took photographs of the food trucks before heading back to Spencer Street Station from Flinders Street Station  by train as I could not bare walking any more.
















Once back at Spencer Street Station I purchased a custard filled dark chocolate covered churros - these are not very popular in Sydney but you find them around Melbourne city. I didn't think they would survive the heat and long trip back to Sydney therefore only purchased one but it did (I didnt actually eat it until I got back to Sydney and it was delicious). I was going to get some chocolates but they would not have survived the extreme heat yet again.



A final quick trip to Spencer Street Outlet for a pair of  what my work collegue calls "nappy pants"  or "poo pants" as I call them - extremely lightweight and comfortable to wear especially for long haul trips. Then to Woolworths for snacks and water for my train trip back to Sydney.


On time departure from Southern Cross Station tonight - hopefully no more riff raff as I am travelling in first class - this time they got it right car B seat 42 is an aisle seat with my right leg in the aisle as requested and not the left leg!!!

Certainly not as noisy in first class but still pretty full and I would have had a spare seat next to me until a couple asked if they could swap because they had been split up. Just one riff raff incident a man behind me would not sit in his allocated seat so there was a bit of abusive language used between him and the train officer.  Just kick him off! Not this time.

Another guy sitting across was unsure if he was on the correct train to Albury - I said you better check as in a previous incident a woman did get on the XPT bound for Albury when she was suppose be on the Vline! The train was fully booked all the way to Sydney and she did not find out until the XPT had departed Southern Cross Station that night. She was made to made the fare when the only available seat was found for her as it was her responsibility and not NSW Trains.
Yep all good the guy was on the right train and the train had not departed Southern Cross Station yet.

Next incident - electrical fault- we were told over the PA system if we see a maintenance officer walk by outside on the tracks on the right hand side to give him a wave. Yep there he goes in the rain. Delay of 15 minutes getting into Sydney.

Back in Sydney it is around 7.30 am and not as cold as it was during the night- pillow blanket and hooded top or jacket recommended. Those extra pair of pants I purchased at Spencer Street Outlet really helped too!


Finally almost caught up on my blogging - just a few more photos to upload!








No comments:

Post a Comment