Monday 4 November 2019

Monday 4th - Tuesday 5th November 2019 - My Pretty Boring Birthday

It's always a good birthday when you get free stuff especially anything food and drink related!

First on my list Oporto who give you a free meal on your birthday. I remember a few years ago I couldn't redeem my free birthday burger from Oporto as I had just redeemed a free double chicken burger that I think I had just won and was all burgered out. I thought they only gave a single chicken burger but they actually give you a meal for your birthday. I purchased an additional chicken piece to make it more substantial. I asked them to hold the mayo and cheese on my burger but I still had the chilli sauce - this is what makes an Oportos burger an Oportos burger!

Sorry no photo - I get extra hungry on my birthday!

Second on my list my free birthday cake from IKEA - I thought it was a princess cake but it is now a cake of your choice for the value of $4 so I purchased a kids vegeball meal as well - I can't just eat cake. I was thinking of going to Ikea anyway for a few things why not make a day of it. The weather is not great so it was better to be indoors.

I forgot all about The Melbourne Cup today - The race that stops the nation at 3 pm  - I was walking around IKEA and missed it. I did place a bet this morning though on horse #8 in memory of my mum - it was her favourite #.

Sorry I ate the cake could not wait! It was a caramel chocolate and almond cake.



I better head back home and find out which horse won the Melbourne Cup.

Just checked online. Oh well I won nothing this year just as well I only bet a total of $10!
Better luck next year.

Here's  photo of my losing ticket :


Oops I forgot to post last Friday I stopped off at The Chatswood Mall Markets and purchased something I have made myself but have always wanted to try a street food version of from the markets. There were 2 styles of having this Japanese Pancake.
Osaka style or Kyoto style. I chose the Osaka style where the ingredients are mixed together with the pancake batter. With the Kyoto style pancake the pancake batter is cooked first before the other ingredients are placed on top of it. Ingredients usually include finely shredded cabbage, a protein of some type eg pork seafood etc and some other garnishes such as dried seaweed flakes Benito flakes sesame seeds fried or fresh finely chopped shallots either with Japanese mayonaise and/or a Japanese style BBQ sauce drizzled over the top.

I selected extra calarami as my protein to be mixed in with my pancake mixture and shredded cabbage.

Rating : 4/10 My Japanese pancakes were nothing like these. These were soggy with the batter uncooked, where was the calamari? I do not recommend this at all. Not nice to eat at all. At $12 a serve make them yourself. Far too much cabbage was all I could taste along with mouthfuls of uncooked flour batter and no flavour. Even the sauce and toppings did not compliment the soggy pancake.

photos below










No comments:

Post a Comment