Monday 28 March 2016

Saturday 26th March 2016 - 20th Biennale of Sydney Cockatoo Island

Today I spent the day travelling by ferry from Circular Quay to Cockatoo Island my second Biennale site visited. This Biennale site is known as the Embassy of the Real and the weather was perfect to explore this Biennale site.

I heard quite a few disappointed visitors to this Biennale site. Mainly negative comments about having less artworks being exhibited around the island than in previous biennales.

I was excited to see what artist Lee Bul had install for this Biennale but was quite disappointed when I saw her actual artwork on exhibition - yes it was large but I have just returned from Canada and her artworks on exhibition over there were far more interesting.

There were some very good pieces of artwork on exhibition on the island and some leaving me to question "Is this actually art?"

If anyone remembers the "Google Train" from the last Biennale on Cockatoo Island through one of the 2 tunnels on Cockatoo Island, this year's exhibition through part of Dog-leg tunnel is just as memorable. However was it worth the 40 minute wait in a queue? You'll have to experience it for yourself to find out. Nobody that entered and exited the tunnel gave anything away about their experiences in the tunnel.

Out of the 21 or so artworks on exhibition I only have 3 favourite pieces of artwork on exhibition on the island this Biennale. One in the Industrial Precinct, one in the Upper Island/Convict Precinct and one in the Shipyard Design Precinct.

Did the artworks exhibited on this Biennale site portray the message of the Embassy of the Real ie "Virtual/Body/Sc-Fi"?
Yes I think it did. I rate this site 8/10


Please refer to youtube for video under 20th Biennale of Sydney - Cockatoo Island




No comments:

Post a Comment