Friday 22 February 2019

Saturday 23rd February 2019 - Balmain & Beyond Exploring Sydney's Inner Western Suburbs

I was in the neighbourhood of Balmain to inspect a rental property this morning around 11 am so decided to pop into see my work collegues and say hi before returning home.

The first bus that arrived travelling along the scenic route back to the city outside Gladstone Park was the 433 bus to Railway Square (Central). I usually catch the 442 or 441 bus back to the QVB which only taakes 15 minutes in good traffic but decided to take this bus instead and making a last minute decision  to get off on Darling Street ( which ia an extremely long street spanning through multiple suburbs) Rozelle. I get off in front of 2 old haunts I used to frequently visit as far back as the 1990s.

Belle Fleur Chocolates Darling Street Rozelle

A must visit tourist destination for lovers of fine Belgium chocolates that are made in Australia with some very unique flavours including an unlabelled mystery flavoured chocolate on display amongst countless other chocolates in their large glass display counter which I was later advised was vegemite however it was so subtle I could hardly taste the vegemite in the chocolate unlike that awful overpowering limited edition block of vegemite chocolate Cadbury bought out a while back - yes remember that horrendous marketing stunt? Yes it was definitely Vegemite chocolate but it was as if it was mixed in properly just dumped in resulting in blocks which were really salty in parts and others where there was no vegemite present at all.

Other flavours of Australiana included Lamington and Anzac. I didn't end up purchasing the Lamington or wattleseed as they were on my second choice list but did purchase the Anzac and that was very pretty with its poppy design and really did taste like an Anzac biscuit.

Other flavours I chose were
Yuzu in the shape of a cocao pod which was my favourite.

Gingerbread still to be tasted

Pear which had a jelly layer another one of my favourites

Saffron still to be tasted

Rose still to be tasted

Red Velvet still to be tasted

Black Sesame which I could not taste in the chocolate

Wasabi which I could also not taste in the chocolate

Jasmine another one of my favourites

Other flavours I am not tasting but have purchased for my work collegues because I know they like these flavours are expresso, popping candy and ravioli.

There are so many other flavours to chose from but I wanted to select the most weird.

The chocolate art displays on various shelves around the store which is climate controlled






















Onto my next stop conveniently next door to Belle Fleur Chocolates below - Victoire. Another institution I used to frequent although they originally were based at the other end of Darling Street in Balmain - now they just have a van they sell out of there and their main bakery /store is where it is now in Darling Street Rozelle.  I used to always buy their flourless chocolate cake as it was a huge slice and I always wondered how they managed to get it to rise so high and its texture was so light and fluffy. The slices are a lot smaller now and I ended up not purchasing anything there.



On Saturdays Rozelle and its surrounding inner Western suburbs of Glebe Balmain and Birchgrove there are a variety of markets.

Orange Grove Public School Markets is one of the best organic markets to visit on a Saturday - they are situated in a public school so it is great for picnics asnd kids to play and run around it. Has quite a variety of non food and drink stalls too.

Balmain Markets are situated in the church grounds on Darling Street and is small but has a variety of food and other stalls.

Glebe Markets is also a great market to visit also situated in school grounds on the main road of Glebe.

Finally Rozelle Markets situated almost directly across the road from Belle Fleur Chocolates and Victoire Bakery is a different type of market - it sells brick and brack ie second hand vintage stuff ie a decent sized flea market.

I was going to go to Birkenhead Point as well which is easy to get to with a bus transfer Rozelle but decided to leave it for another day.

Back to Railway Square on the 433 and transfer onto another trasin to Town Hall to pick up some grtoceries before catching tge M40 back home as there is trackwork yet again over weekend on the Northern rail lines. Tgere seems to be trackwirk every second weekend on tge Northern lines. Thank goodness for the M40 bus from Townhall during the day! More hassel getting home after 7 pm at night.



No comments:

Post a Comment