Sunday 14 July 2019

Sunday 14th July - Bastille Day Festival Around Circular Quay

Today I decided to take a walk and ventured to Home HQ in the back streets of Artarmon near the waste management centre and to Bunnings next door to this dedicated Homewares Complex. Home HQ is no shopping centre therefore do not expect any supermarkets or clothing stores to be there. There is just one cafe in the entire homewares complex but they do have a book nook and toliet facilities and heaps of parking both in this homewares complex and next door at Bunnings.


First stop was OMF a mattress and bed store. I obtained a few quotes for mattresses in a bag/box.

Next stop Fantastic Furniture which was my intention of visiting Home HQ. I had a look around for sofa beds and matresses and was a little unimpressed. No purchase today.

I had a quick toilet stop and visited Beacon Lighting looking for an appropriate floor lamp again no purchase.

Next stop Bunnings next door - where was the entrance? Found it but only after spotting people exiting the Bunnings carpark with multiple sausage sandwiches. Now I must find the entrance to Bunnings as I was hungry and had not had lunch - the weekly Bunnings sausage sizzle is a must do. Proceeds go to charity and there is usually a different charity each week at Bunnings sausage sizzles.

Because it was my first time at this Bunnings I was u familiar with the layout. I could smell the sausage sizxle but could not see where it was. Surely it wasn't in the carpark? I followed everyone up the sets of stairs which took me not to the sausage sizzle but to the Bunning store. I had a quick look around then asked a couple with kids where there purchased their sausage sandwich sandwiches from as they were scoffing them down making me even more hungry. One level down and to tge right - yep in the corner of the carpark.

I purchased and limited myself to 1 sausage sandwich on wholemeal bread with onions. First the person that served me took my $5 note and didn't give me any change. Then the next person who served me took my order incorrectly - white grain bread rather then wholemeal bread. After helping myself to the sauces, I went back and questioned how much a single sausage sandwich actuaslly was - $2.50 and then advised the first person that served me that I gave her a $5 note but was not given any change. This was witnessed by the other person that served me therefore I was given the correct change. Either it was a very e pensive sausage on a sandwich or the people working on the sausage sizzle do not know wehat cash is anymore ( not possible they had been handling cash only all day and managed to give the person before me their change correctly!) - incorrect change incident #1 for today.





As I was holding my sausage sandwich and about to leave I bumped into my bus buddy Kathryn -" Fancy meeting you here!" (but thinking so this is where you hang out on the weekend!). Kathryn had not had lunch either yet so she was also looking for a sausage sandwich which she also purchased with onions on wholemeal bread - they seemed to get her order and change correct!

We quickly ate our sausage sandwiches and caught up before she heading up to the Bunnings store for what she intended ie a towel rail and I heading to my next intended event - Bastille Day Celebrations around Circular Quay. I could have caught the M20 direct to Wynyard however I didn't know where the bus stop was and the second bus was running late. I therefore walked up the hill onto the Pacific Highway and walked to St Leonard Station to take the train to Wynyard before walking to Circular Quay.

Where do I start? I could see the crowds of thousands of people everywhere from above the station.

I took some photos from the platform above  at Circular Quay Station before making my way down to the Eastern side of Circular Quay making my way around to The Rocks before making my way home by train and bus.

Bastille Day in Sydney is celebrated over 4 days and nights in the form of a festival. It starts on Thursday 11th July and ends on Sunday 14th July each year and is the largest Bastille Day festival in the Southern Hemisphere.

The Festival is divided into several "villages" which start at the Eastern end of Circular Quay and ends in The Rocks. This year featured a beach area complete with tiki huts selling food and wine , palm trees, a treasure hunt, tall ship, cocktails, beer and sand - loads of sand! ; an outdoor cinema ; mini kids ice skating rink ; artifical snow falling onto a Christmas In July Market complete with a Christmas tree and Christmas carols; a vintage kids carousel; cheese and wine tasting tours over 1 km long; foods stalls selling sweet & savoury dishes including Bouche Noels from Le Renassiance, muled wine both alcoholic and non alcoholic, French ciders & beers, truckloads of Racalette (or rancid cheese as I describe it) and a new hot alcoholic drink this year loads of "boozy chocolate" - who came up with this? I tried a non alcholic muled wine from the Chistmas In July Markets for the first time but skipped the boozy chocolate. which leads me to incorrect cash handling # 2. I gave a $50 note to the stall holder for a $5 cup of non alcoholic muled wine as advertised and only received $40 change. Wait on. The other person masnning the stall noticed and I received the $5 owing to me in change after advising them it was the 2nd time today I was short changed. Really! after this I did not purchase anything more at the festival and made my way back home.

Photos to be uploaded



Sunset around the forecourt outside the Overseas Passenger Terminal where food trucks and the vintage carousel are located


















No comments:

Post a Comment