Friday 16 August 2019

Saturday 17th - Sunday 18th August 2019 - Free Entry Weekend to Thr Australian Museum & MAAS ( Powerhouse Museum)

It coincides with National Science Week and the the end of the Sydney Science Festival 2019. This weekend is a weekend of free entry to 2 of Sydney's major museums -  The Australian Museum on College Street for the very last time before it shuts its doors temporarily for a year long renovation on Monday 19th August 2019 & The Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences (MAAS) or as we know it as The Powerhouse Museum before it shuts its doors permanently for their move out to their new location at Parramatta in Sydney's Western suburbs however not until mid 2020.

I did not intend to visit The Powerhouse Museum today after The Australian Museum as I have visited it on several occasions and still have time to visit it before it closes. My focus this weekend was to visit The Australian Museum which I have not visited since my high school years.

I was so excited when I saw it was open to the public for a final free weekend before it closes its doors for renovations on Monday 19th August 2019 therefore purchased a ticket online in advance. When I went to check my ticket this morning upon arriving in the city I found that it was a Powerhouse Museum ticket and not an Australian Museum ticket. I did not want to go to the Powerhouse and when I arrived at The Australian Museum was told that I may not be able to enter by the security guard but  when I walked into the museum's entrance the volunteer guide at the entrance looked at my ticket and allowed me in saying it was fine although allocation for entry to the Australian Museum for the whole weekend were now exhausted on their website. I was lucky this time as most of the time I am always missing out by being denied entry.

Since it is a first visit I am again unfamiliar with the museum's layout. We are given a map so I studied it before walking through the museum. The museum is so old , it is not very accessable to prams walkers wheelchairs or anyone who has difficulty with mobility. The museum has attempted to place ramps to the front entrance but the interior of the museum is like a rabbit's warren. There are sets of stairs everywhere but apparently there is a lift for access needs. There seems to be 3 levels but I don't dare ask where the nearest toliets are - according to the map they are on each floor somewhere. Food with a view is apparently on level 4 and no food or drink is allowed in the galleries - looks like I have not found level 4 yet then again I don't think I have found past the ground floor entrance!

Yep I was correct, I have missed an entire 2 sections mainly the ground floor and level 1 200 Treasures.

I have just discovered the flights of stairs to Level 4 cafe with a view No. 1 William Street. It is nice to sit down and have a bite to eat and enjoy the view of the Stockland building & the surrounding city skyline Westfield Tower ( formally known as Centrepoint Tower) St Marys Cathederal The roof of the Cook & Phillip Aquatic Centre and the parklands of The Domain. That was quite a nice biscuit I purchased and ate from the cafe - an oversized light and fluffy round biscuit with pieces of chocolate popcorn and caramel through it - I expected to be like a dense extremely sweet heavy doughy cookie Mrs Field style but it was not at all like it. It was not too sweet and enough to satisfy my munchies.











LEVEL 4 CAFE & VIEW OF SYDNEY

In summary so far I have explored Level 4 cafe & its 180 degree view, all of Level 2 which included Surviving Australia, Pacific Spirit, Dinosaurs & Birds of Australia. On the ground floor I enteted via Wild Planet but missed the rest of the ground floor displays.

After taking more photos of the spectacular view today which is a perfect warm Spring like day, I will make my way back down to the 1st and ground floors to explore 200 Treasures of the Australian Museum, Garrigarrag First Australians Galleries & Bayala Nura as well as the Atrium and also pay a visit to the museum store to purchase a small souvenir ( after all the museum is closing on Monday for renovations). before heading home to do some essential weekly grocery shopping.

I rate my visit to The Australian Museum 7/10. Disappointing Search & Explore & Gemstones displays were both closed. Museum advertised it closed at 5.30 pm today but actually closed at 4.45 pm. I stayed until the end and purchased a small luggage tag as a souvenir from the museum shop. Some parts of The Australian Museum remind you of the movie series Night At The Museum staring Ben Stiller.
Photos below
LEVEL 2 














SURVIVING AUSTRALIA  











PACIFIC AUSTRALIA 





















BIRDS OF AUSTRALIA 

KIDS SPACE & EDUCATION ROOMS


























DINOSAURS

LEVEL 1 





200 TREASURES OF THE AUSTRALIAN MUSEUM

GROUND FLOOR






























FIRST AUSTRALIANS GALLERIES















































































WILD PLANET


200 TREASURES OF THE AUSTRALIAN MUSEUM





ATRIUM


MUSEUM STORE










CRYSTAL HALL ENTRANCE MUSEUM 






WALK MEMBERS LOUNGE/ BUSINESS ENTRANCE STROLLER PARKING/CLOAKING








No comments:

Post a Comment