Saturday 3 August 2019

Sunday 4th August 2019 - Living Heritage Festival @ Discovery Park Wolli Creek

Damn it I missed the final day of Artvo in Melbourne today! I had no idea when it was on until and thought it would be on until the end of August. Oh well, I hope it comes to Sydney.

Today was a bit of an adventure for me. I wasn't feeling very well this morning when one of my work collegues messaged me around 6.30 am this morning whilst I was still sleeping in to ask if I could work for her again today. Unfortunately I had to say no to her today. Besides not feeling well , there was trackwork over the weekend yet again on the Northshore, Northern and Metroline as well as several other lines ( every second week there is trackwork and it seems the same for my work collegue needing someone to cover her every second Sunday).

I stayed in bed as long as I could then had breakfast, cleaned the studio including the bathroom, watched tv, changed my sheets and made my bed, took the rubbish out to the bins as well as sort my dirty laundry in a bag to be washed and dried later tonight when I returned.

By mid day I was feeling a little better so did some research of events happening around Sydney that I could get to easily with all the trackwork on.

I was going to travel out to Paddys Markets at Flemington but decided not to this Sunday and leave it for another Sunday as it would take me 2 hours or more to get to as well as changing modes of public transport at least 3 times due to trackwork.

Instead I found and opted to attend another event which is also another first for me. A small event The Living Heritage Festival run by the Historic Houses Association of Australia -  a 1 day only event between 10 am and 4 pm out at Discovery Park across the road from Wolli Creek Station
( pronounced "Woll Eye" and not "Wolly" Creek). I arrived after midday and spent about 1.5 hours at the festival departing around 3 pm. It was definitely faster getting home by public transport then getting to the festival.

Discovery Park is quite a nice park and a starting point to explore one side of the banks of the Cooks River. It is nestled behind  a semicircular series of new highrise apartment complexes named GREENBANK, VERGE, VINE, ARC & WATERVUE.

Within Discovery Park is a hidden community garden ( Discovery Point Community Gardens) behind St Madalgen's Chapel and Tempe House (which reminded me very much of other historical houses such as Elizabeth Farm & House and Rouse Hill Farm & House). There is a BBQ area below within the park on this side of the Cooks River ( look across on the other side of the Cooks River and you see another parkland area with it's own BBQ area.) Watch the commercial aircrafts ascend upwards and fly over the Cooks River from Sydney International Airport nearby. Take a walk up the sets of stairs and circular path on Mt Olympus ( a little disappointed the view was not that spectacular up there) - there was suppose to be native bees and plants of Mt Olympus up there which I could not find.

Rating : 8/10 - $10 entry fee tickets available at the event or  online in advance. Entry fee includes all talks demonstrations etc and self guided tour of Tempe House and access to Mt Olympus. There was a few food trucks parked in the grounds of the park and a boutique beer stall next to Bloomfields Pies outside Tempe House. Kids activities also present. Also view the range of traditional stalls inside the church's hall such as quilting, quilling, lace making and embroidery, casting for restoration work, vintage clithing shoes and acessories, glass bead jewllery, hand made candles, woodwork, beeswax wraps and cosmetic cases. Great half day out.

Photos below
























































































On my way home I have a late lunch of a vegetarian seeded pesto bun from Luneberger Town Hall and 5 calamari with a slice of lemon from The Little Fish Shoppe next door. Thenba toliet stop followed by shopping at Woolworths Town Hall for some extra food staples.

Home washing & drying as well as watch some tv and some fruit.

Sleep and end of another Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment