Sunday 29 April 2018

Sunday 29th April 2018 - It's Apple Time

This weekend was a rare do nothing weekend and all weekend I went shopping - shopping for groceries and of course clothes. I purchased 2 pairs of full length black leggings which I like to wear all year round with dresses, a top for my sister, a long Jersey knit sack dress which I wore as soon as I bought it, lots of underwear and a fine linen white long sleeved shirt. No shoes yet - I really hate shoe shopping as my feet are small and everytime I see a pair of heels I like they are only available in sizes 7, 8, 9, 10 or even 11!

I went to Kmart for my basics ie leggings and underwear etc first then to the larger of the 2 Coles supermarkets in Chatswood - I rarely go into this Coles supermarket due to an allergic reaction each time I enter it that causes me to either continuously sneeze or have a constant coughing fit. Probably from some cleaning chemicals used .

Firstly I wheel my trolley to the produce section - I have never seen so many varieties of apples on display at once! I think I counted 9 side by side and I hope I didn't  miss any as I missed 2 varieties first time down the aisle. Yes a full asile dedicated to just apples!

I purchased one of every apple and will taste each one before they go into an apple pie I plan to bake . Results at a later date when I taste them






Here is a list of apples purchased. Would you be able to identify them if you saw them?

Jonathan -
price : $$$$$$
taste : very floury sweet not nice
distinguishing characteristics : even red not as spotty as other varieties of apples



Pink Lady -
price : $$$$$
taste : crisp crunchy sweet nice taste
distinguishing characteristics : spotty red and green patches uneven



Jazz -
price : $$$$$
taste : crisp crunchy sweet tones of pear or nashi nice taste
distinguishing characteristics : even red with green head


Modi -
price : $$
taste : crisp crunchy with slightly flour texture nice taste
distinguishing characteristics  : red & very waxy to the touch


Kanzi -
price : $$$$
taste : crisp crunchy sweet but similar to Jazz nice taste
distinguishing  characteristics : red with a small green head


Granny Smith -
price : $
taste : tart but usually crunchy
distinguishing characteristics : green & good for baking


Red Delicious -
price : $$$
taste : slightly floury but still crisp and crunchy nice taste
distinguishing characteristics : streaky red



Fuji - crispy crunchy sweet
price : $$$$$
taste : crispy crunchy sweet nice taste
distinguishing characteristics  : patch pale red and green


Royal Gala - 
price : $
taste : flour sweet not nice
distinguishing characteristics  : very even red


Out of all 9 apples the only one I am unfamiliar with is the Kanzi apple which is one of the two apple varieties I almost missed. All were suppose to have no added wax bit to the touch all the apples felt very waxy.

Onto my other grocery shopping before heading home and cooking. Borrow Future Park @ The Powerhouse Museum on its final day of exhibition.

Next weekend it looks like another jam packed one - multiple events on over the weekend that clash - I need to make a decision on which events to attend but all are one off annual events!



No comments:

Post a Comment