Friday 14 June 2019

Saturday 15th June 2019 - Glebe Market(s )

Yep there was more then 1 market in Glebe today.

I got on the wrong bus and only found out the stop after it did not turn off onto Glebe Point Rd. I asked a passenger if it was a 438 or 433 bus I had boarded - it was a 438 oops. Off I got and tranferred onto a 433 bus at the beginning of Glebe Point Rd.




Cafes, restaurants and an eclectic hippy arty farty range of shops populate both sides of Glebe Point Road 

First stop was the Dr H D Foley Rest Park where the Glebe Artisans Market is held a few Saturdays a year ( refer their website for stall directory and market dates).

Some very interesting things for sale at this market. Below are just a few of them. Rating 8/10







these are some sort of diffusers in a rubbery bottle pendant on a rope. Very colourful and pretty to look at. The stall also sells hand made soaps





Chick Pea Australia sells Australian made baby bibs cosmetic bags hobby horses and shower caps. These are still the same quality as they were 10 years ago and the range seems to have diversified into cute hobby horses.


A variety of Australian made clothing


A variety of handmade glassware









Complex hand casted ceramics - chillies, pomegranates, pumpkins and bunyanuts, hand painted Australiana placemats, coastets and stationery by Helen Ashley amongst other ceramic and artists selling similar products


Sit on the grass and enjoy a coffee listening to the live music.



Framed hanging pot plants





Customised wooden boards and natural bees wax by Knave Design


A variety of unique teatowels including Australiana ones

Next stop a walk back to the main markets every Saturday in the grounds of Glebe Pubic School up the road possibly delayed via a look around an extremely busy jam packed Glebe Point Rd full of restaurants cafes and wierd and wonderful shops on either side of this main Inner Western suburb of Sydney. It is a really beautiful Winter day so I should take my time strolling. Now where do I start?

I delayed my visit to Glebe Markets  and took a detour into The Works. I could easily have spent an hour in there looking around. Difficult to describe what this shop is but it is a must visit shop full of interesting things on offer to purchase. Rating 8/10

photos below







I start with lunch below from one of the food stalls in the grounds of Glebe Public School. After walking backwards and forwards along the row of food stalls I finally decided on the below spinach and cheeze turkish pancakes.



Next onto a look around the Glebe Markets. Quite disappointed - hundreds of people wondering around within  the grounds of Glebe Public School  where the market stalls are held but not a huge variety of market stalls. Only about 20% of the market stalls sold new goods, 10 % were food and drink stalls, there was live entertainment (accoustic music) and the remainder of market stalls were vintage or used goods ( not so much homewares or kitchenware but shoes clothes jewellery and other accessories)  - absolutely no fresh fruit and vegetables or other food stalls. Glebe Markets was no artesian market and nothing like The Organic Markets at Orange Grove Public School or the arty farty Paddington Markets. I would describe Glebe markets as a giant garage sale  - if you love vintage or used clothes, accessories, shoes or jewellery in general,  Glebe Markets is the market for you. Not my favourite market. I prefer markets with either fresh fruit and veg, interesting hand made or mass produced unique items and a good variety of quality food and beverage stalls. Rating 5/10  wait for and visit the Artesian Markets Glebe.





















After a visit to the markets, it was time for my weekly grocery shop at Broadwa y Shopping Centre a 5 to 10 minute walk away. First a visit to Aldi then to Coles - this must be one of only a few Coles where you can earn Flybuys points just for recharging your Opal card which for me is also a weekly must do. I used to top up at my local Woolworths but they don't offer any incentives to recharge my Opal card there so I do my weekly Opal card recharge wherever I can. No time to do any other shopping not even at The Reject Shop which I love visiting as there is always something unique to purchase there. There is no longer a Reject Shop anywhere near where I live.

Home with my heavy loads of groceries.




No comments:

Post a Comment