Thursday 23 January 2020

Thursday 23rd January 2020 - Final Day & Night In Whistler

My last day in Whistler was spent cleaning washing drying packing taking out the rubbish and watching The Food Network for the very last time.

I went for my traditional last ice skate at Whistler Olympic Plaza unfortunately the outdoor section of the rink was being cut the entire session so I could only skate around in the indoor section of the ice rink.

My mission today however was to find Peaked Pies in Whistler and find out why everyone raves about them and drive 2 hours just to get one.

OK so they were featured on a morning news show the other day as it is Australia Day in a few days time.

Here is what I thought of the chicken mushroom and leek peaked pie I had as posted on Facebook.

The pie by the way was more expensive then the Lost Lake snowshoeing pass I purchased yesterday.

"I had to try Peaked Pies an Australian Pie Bakery in Whistler - people drive 2 hours just to have one of these pies. What did I think? A rather expensive version of Harry's Cafe De Wheels Pies. I could probably buy 2 of those for a single Peaked Pie!"

If I was going to have a Peaked Pie it had to be a Peaked Peaked Pie so that means a pie topped with a scoop of mash mushy pies and gravy. The mashed potato was good and did not taste like Deb packet powdered potato. The scoop of mushy pies was not too blended and you could make out the pea bits and the gravy was OK but after a while tasted very much like Gravox packet gravy with a slight chemical after taste. The gravy was pooled around the botton of the outside of the pie crust as if the gravy was a moat and the pie the tower. Was this flood of gravy intentional? It should have poured over the top of the peas mash and pie. The pie was in a cardboard box and there was no foil or pattycase enclosing it. OK now let's get serious. All I ever hear people say about the pie is the crust. I didn't think the crust was that good but it was nice. I didn't buy a pie just to eat the mash the peas the gravy or the crust - I purchased the pie to taste the pie and IT WAS "pretty ordinary" indeed as described by fellow Australians.  I could hardly taste the chicken mushroom and leek in the pie, all I could taste was the crust gravy mash and mushy peas. For about AUS$16 It would not be worth driving 2 hours for. Now you don't have to anyway as they are opening stores in Vancouver and have 1 there already.

Peaked Pies are not the first Australian Pie company to open in Whistler. Many years ago there was one called Four & Twenty Pies ( No relation to Four & Twenty Pies back home either).  Strange enough one of the guys in the hot tub actually told me that Four and Twenty was actually code for cannabis  - why isn't anyone surprised since it is now legal in BC however it wasn't back then. Oh now I get it "Pot Pies" ! Rating 6/10 another fad go to El Furniture in Whistler instead and get double the amount of good food and drink for the same price.






No comments:

Post a Comment