Sunday 24 April 2016

Monday 25th April 3016 - ANZAC DAY " Lest We Forget"

This year is the first year the Anzac Day Parade has marched down an alternative routine down Elizabeth Street due to the closure of George Street and the construction of the light rail system.

I am fortunate to never have had to live through a war and I hope in my lifetime I will never have to.

My closest association with war were stories about my parents living through a civil war whilst they were living in Hong Kong and one of my former physics teachers also mention how his deafness was due to his time serving during a war. I never asked him which war.

Nothing brings together the pride of a nation like Anzac Day celebrations - the dawn service; the parade represented by so many countries allied together fighting so many wars, past and present servicemen and women, school cadets, marching bands, vetrans, decendants of the armed forces, emergency services, Legacy and volunteers just to name a few;  followed by drinks at the local pubs with mates or lunch and the friendly game of two up.

We should never forget the sacrifices made for our country's freedom. We do live in the lucky country. I hope that future generations will continue to remember and honor our past and present servicemen and and women.

"Lest We Forget."

One of the many overflowing pubs around Sydney after the Anzac Day Parade


Army

Veterans









No comments:

Post a Comment