Saturday 16 April 2016

Saturday 16th April 2016 - Part 1 Palm Beach Baths & Barrenjoey Lighthouse

Last weekend it was Janolan Caves, this weekend it is the beach - Palm Beach.

It was such a beautiful day today and I didn't want to waste it being indoors particularly when the forcast for tomorrow is rain.

I decided to skip my regular Saturday Lyrical Jazz class from 1 pm - 2.30 pm at Sydney Dance Company and hop on the L90 "tourist" bus from Wynyard Station to Palm Beach. The journey North of Sydney took approximately 1 hr and 45 minutes to arrive at its final destination dependent on traffic conditions.

Since I haven't been to Palm Beach for a while I was unsure what to expect when I arrived. Will there be "Home and Away" being filmed on location there? Will I see any wildlife?

I stayed on the bus and alighted at the very last stop at Palm Beach. My plan for the day was to take the ferry from Palm Beach Wharf to Ettalong Beach however I missed the stop.

I decided to walk along the beach and saw a bathing pool. I had my swimmers with me so decided to have a swim after taking a few photos. The water was cold however because I am used to swimming in outdoor pools in the snow, the cold water in the bathing pool was relatively pleasant once I started swimming in it. I lost track of time and must have been in the bathing pool for approximately 40 mins. No hot indoor showers here just cold outdoor showers. It didn't bother me as it was a very nice warm day.

Whilst I was swimming I kept looking at the lighthouse in the distance wondering how I could get up there.

After a quick Google on my phone I hopped back on the next L90 bus and got off at Governor Phillip Park. I then followed other groups of tourists on the long hike along the main road/ parking area, over the sand towards the Barrenjoey Headlands and National Park, then up a steep narrow pathway leading to hundreds of steps up to the Barrenjoey lighthouse (Smugglers Track grade 3 the steeper route option has 400 m steps but takes less time to get up to the lighthouse - think double blue diamond ski run in Whistler but skiing uphill - no ski lift to get up up to the top!).

I stopped to take quite a few photos of the beaches and coastlines below - the views were amazing! On the way I even saw a bush turkey twice - I'm sure it was the same one at the bottom that had made its way up to the top of Smugglers Track!

Because I took the easier but longer grade 2 track up to the lighthouse, I decided to do a complete circuit and return via the steeper grade 3 Smugglers Track route. Although easier and quicker downhill, I was still carrying a very heavy backpack containing a laptop and wet clothes from my swim previously. Some of the steps were very narrow hence having to stop on multiple occassions giving way to other hikers to pass.

Great full day trip - Many thanks to my work collegues who recommended it. Will have to return. Rating 9/10  Photos attached.

Barrenjoey Lighthouse 

Amazing views of the beach and coastline below from the Barrenjoey Lighthouse



Grave of the first lighthouse keeper

At the top of Smugglers Track grade 3 400m steps



No comments:

Post a Comment