Sunday 18 September 2016

Sunday 18th September 2016 - Blackmores Sydney Running Festival

As you all probably know from reading my previous blogs that I retired after 25 City to Surfs and this is the first year I did not do the 15 km City to Surf.

In it's place I am doing my first 9 km Bridge Run in place of  the City to Surf. My aim was to finish the race in 1 to 1.5 hours which I successfully achieved today (even taking time to take photos along the race course).

A few days ago I had spoken to one of my customers who was also doing the Bridge run about the weather forecast which was rain rain rain. The rain fortunately held off until about midday today when I had completed the race although at times there were a few very light "spits" of rain during my run.

As soon as I reached the finish line I grabbed a free bottle of  water then collected my medal picked up a free copy of the Sunday newspaper before heading down to the clothing bag collection area to collect the bag I had packed containing a change of clothes a bottle of water a pair of socks and some snacks including a bar of chocolate which I had dropped off a few days ago at the Race expo after picking up my race kit.

After collecting my bag, I headed down to the Recovery Village looking for a sausage sizzle that supports the Scouts but this year was unable to find one. I needed a free massage but the queues were too long so went straight to the first Blackmores stand and picked up some free fruit.

There was so many things to do in the Recovery Village - free yoga classes, first aid if needed, free coffee, more free water, free packs of  blue jelly beans, free wristbands, free photos, food and drink stalls, free activities and entertainment stage, Nova hosted a stand with free ice cream, tattos, sunscreen and other items, Rebel had a merchandise stall to purchase running gear and Blackmores even had a kids activity tent where free milk formula for todders was given out and face painting for kids.

It started raining quite heavily and became quite cold so the crowd started to leave the Recovery Village as they completed their races. However a die hard crowd remained to queue up for photos with the Harbour Bridge in the background and free coffee. (I have posted my photos on my Facebook page).

After collect a whole heap of free stuff which included 2 sets of photos via email and sms and 1 hardcopy with matching photo frame, 2 wrist bands, a free bottle of water, a banana, a mandarin, a kids t shirt, a sun visor, a mocha, a newspaper,3 packets of blue jelly beans, a sample tube of sunscreen, a nova tatoo and airfresher, and a calico bag containing a full can of toddler milk formula colouring book and pencils -   I headed back to the YHA I was staying at by train. On my way to the station I stopped to cheer on the full marathon participants who were already soaking wet from running in the rain. They were almost to the finish line which was located in the Opera House forecourt.

Back at the YHA I had a shower something to eat and drink and caught up with my blogging.  It is still pouring with rain and cold. A good rest of the day to sleep and stay indoors.

 


















No comments:

Post a Comment