Sunday 13 November 2016

Thursday 17th - Monday 21st November 2016 - My Long Awaited Belated Birthday Week Away in Melbourne

Stayed tuned for this Jam packed week away!

Thursday night
Straight from work overnight on 1980's XPT train Sydney to Melbourne - arrives on time at Southern Cross Station Friday morning.

Drop my luggage into a medium pay locker (that is all that is available) at Melbourne YHA then a quick shower and then off to my first appointment for today

Friday 18th November 2016
Stop # 1
9 am Melbourne Convention Centre pick up race kit for Sunday's City2Sea. Done! Bib # 15587 purple start 5 km only.




The Race Expo itself which took up hall 2 only, contained more stalls selling fitness related stuff then there were people picking up their race kits - there was hardly a line at the City2Sea counters situated right at the rear of the hall hidden away from view and by looking at the sequence of numbers in each start group the number of runners hardly totalled 30000 compared to the 85000 plus people who run the annual City2Surf in Sydney.
Australian Almonds had a stall and if you like them on Facebook you get a little free tin of almonds. This is now 3 times I've liked them this year and 3 tins of almonds I've received.

Took the tram to Flinders Street Station and walked to Myer on Bourke Street Mall.

Friday 18th November 2016
Stop # 2
10 am registration starts for Myer AGM starting @ 11 am. I cloaked my very heavy back pack. My very first attendance at a Myer AGM. An informative jam packed meeting. Very well organised except -  Why are all the shareholders that attended so old? I was one of a very few younger shareholders present and I took the meeting and voting very seriously.

The Mural Hall on the 6th Floor of the Myer Building on Bourke Street was packed with shareholders, the board of directors accountants lawyers auditors  and "the team of talent" all sitting in the front rows or on the stage or amongst the shareholders. I had no idea who any of them were and was so unprepared for the meeting because I did not request hard copies of the annual report to be mailed to me to read before hand ( I skimmed it whilst waiting for the AGM to begin whilst drinking a glass of orange juice) but there were some very good questions bought up at the meeting by shareholders and the meeting was very informative except for a very old man who seemed to be accusing Myer of being unable to repay its debts hence bankruptcy. He was assured by the chairman that Myer was not bankrupt.

I did not realise that after the AGM lunch was actually served - so this is why all the older shareholders attend the AGM! Myer actually put on a very nice buffet lunch - there was an assortment of finger sandwiches, freshly sliced fruit, macaroons, scones with jam and cream, pearl barley, chicken salads and a cabbage salad. Breverages included an assortment of teas, apple juice, orange juice and coffee with white or bown sugar cubes and milk. I ate my lunch whilst reading the Myer catalog.

Apologies but no photos as there was a sign advising no videoing or photography during the AGM also advised during the chaiman's address of this. The AGM was broadcasted live over the internet for all the shareholders that were unable to attend. I hope I was not caught on camera falling asleep during the AGM as I was so tired from my overnight Sydney to Melbourne trip and not because I was bored at the AGM.

After having some lunch at the AGM, I had a look around the Myer Gift Emporium followed by viewing of Myer's Christmas windows on Bourke Street. The Chairman had recommended we have a look around. I was impressed by the updates done to the Myer department store especially the upper level above the Gift Emporium.
I loved the Gift Emporium and of course the Myer Christmas windows. Rating 8/10 currently on until Christmas - a very Aussie Christmas must see for the kids

In Sydney there is the David Jones Christmas windows in Melbourne there is the Myer Christmas windows.

I am probably over impressed as I have not actually been to Myer in Melbourne for many years - last time I shopped there was when the basement was called the "Bargain Basement"!

After viewing the Myer Christmas windows I stopped off at the nearest Vodafone store to get a  prepaid sim card for my backup Sony phone. This took forever (hours) as the sim catd would not activate twice on my phone. Finally activated and tested I went back to Melbourne Central YHA to check in then onto my next stop.

Bourke Street Mall



Santa's Train and Gift Emporium Myer on level 6

View from the new Myer technology department Mezzanine above level 6















The Myer Christmas windows on Bourke Street Mall 

Friday 18th November 2016
Stop # 3
6 pm Night Noodle Markets. Rating 7/10 great atmosphere but sometimes food can be a little disappointing - hit and miss depending on what you select to eat and from which stall - expect long queues each year this event is on during Good Food Month especially at the Melbourne event.

Have Citibank card get dining out progran priviledges such as VIP seating area @ night noodle markets




Saturday 19th November 2016
7.15 am Very early train from Southern Cross Station to Bacchus Marsh for the annual Bacchus Marsh Strawberries & Cherries Weekend.

Arriving at Bacchus Marsh Train Station at 8.08 am approximately, the shuttle bus service had not commenced yet therefore I took the 8.15 am first public transit bus from the station into town. Due to a detour the bus stopped behind the carpatk of the main shopping village centre behind Main Street.I walked through the shopping centre onto Main Street which was closed off to traffic and was filled with market stalls (including a Girl Guides stall selling chocolate Girl Guides Cookies which I have never had before therefore purchased a packet to bring back to Sydney with me) and down The Avenue of Honour to my first stop to pick my own cherries. I was very disappointed this year with the event - it wasn't as busy as last year's event and the cherries weren't as good as last years. I did not strawberry pick because the hydroponic outdoor strawberry picking  property I wanted to go to this year was not open on the Saturday and was only open from 10 am to 3 pm on the Sunday for the Strawberries and Cherries weekend therefore I may be back after the City2Sea on Sunday - have to see how I feel after the race. Also disappointing was Darley Bakery did not have a stand on Saturday at Jeff Jones like they had last year but they will have one on the Sunday due to the fair they are having in Darley the bakery was open on Saturday ( very difficult to get to bakery in Darley without your own transport - public transit bus does not go that far out of Darley and the shuttle does not go anywhere in that direction. )
It took ages for the complimentary shuttle bus to arrive going back to the town centre from Jeff Jones and when it did, it was pretty full. I was quite hot by now. I am collecting stamps and having a rest at the community centre at the moment which houses the library, historical society and information centre as well as community room with activities on for the kids and toliet facilities! These toilet facilities seem to be lacking at all the "pick your own" properties.Only stop #1 Naturipe Fruits has toilet facilities but I am not planning a trip there this year as I have been there twice in the previous year .

After recharging my phone and taking a break I continue onto see the markets. These markets that stretched along Main Street on both sides and into some side streets and spreading out into parklands and even several community halls - they must have been 2 km long. The markets had everything including a few tents set up with just seats as "REST AREAS" along the way.

I purchased a bunch of corriander from stop # 1 Nuturipe which had a stall set up at the markets and they had a platter of large whole strawberries offered as tastings - because I did not pick any strawberries today I grabbed one to try. It was delicous from bite #1 only to lose the rest of it as I was purchasing my bunch of corriander so grabbed another 2 large strawberries after my purchase.

I then went to the local Coles supermarket to get some staples and some water as I had finished my Contego full of water and it was really hot. The only cold icy drinks on offer at the market stalls were home made lemonade or slushies which are all full of sugar.

I caught the complementary shuttle bus around 4 pm back to Bacchus Marsh Station. The next train does not depart back to Southern Cross Station until 4.52 pm therefore a long wait and hence my catch up on my blogging. Rating 8/10 - great day trip for tourists and great family day out.

The Town's Heritage Buildings



The Avenue of Honours & You Pick Orchards







My bucket of 1.49 kg of cherries I picked since 9 am  opening time - a labour intensive activity - I was there for hours and that is all I managed to pick!It does help to be taller too.


































The Markets & The Community





The Makers Market

I made a donation to the local RSL and managed to get a very specially knitted/crochetted red and black poppy - the ones that were sent to the UK and used as part of the Chelsea Flower show which I gave to my manager.






























The Railway Station






Back at the hostel around 6 pm - dinner shower and an earlier night sleep - another early start and big day partly unplanned tomorrow!

Sunday 20th November 2016
Stop # 1
7 am City to Sea starting @ 7.45 am to St Kilda. 2500 people entered the 5 km City2Sea portion of the race which started in the Arts Precint of Melbourne not far from the NGV. Continuing along St Kilda Rd towards St Kilda Beach where it finished. On my way along St Kilda Rd I witnessed a tram take out a small blue car. it happened in very slow motion and it did not seem a high impact car write off type of accident and it looked like the car was driving away after the impact however a runner who knew about nursing commented on how the passengers in the car were not ok because it was an impact on the drivers side of the car.  Luckily there were ambulances parked along St Kilda Rd  as first aid to injured or sick runners. The closest ambulance located a few hundred meters ahead of where the accident occurred. Runners who witnessed the crash quickly notified the nearest ambulance and a stretcher and team were already on their way to the scene. It is the first time I have seen a tram take out a car. Questions of how it happened - was it a hook turn from the left lane that caused it or just a car trying to get out of the way of a tram?

Yhe race continued and I managed to finish the race by 8.45 am in a time of 47 minutes approximately. Probably not my best time but I think  but OK. My legs still hurt so I did the customary dip my legs in the sea water after the race which became a trend after the very first City2Sea that I completed. Instant cryotherapy as the water was quite cold compared to the heat and at least my shins felt better but my legs are still sore as I blog. (Photos below.)
After the race I went back to the hostel and had a shower followed by making myself brunch - a large bowl of pasta with made from scratch turkey bolongnaise sauce seeded bread cheese and my hand picked cherries from yesterday. Yummy. Now I need a sleep and it is 2.30 pm. Decided not to go back for day 2 of the Strawberries and cherries weekend - missed the 10.30 am train next one not until 12.15 pm and by the time I got to Bacchus Marsh all the hydroponic strawberries would have been picked and most gates to pick your own cherries and strawberries closed for the weekend. May just have a nap. It has been a very busy few days.


City2Sea start line near the NGV in Melbourne's Arts Precinct


The City2Sea finish line St Kilda Beach
















Sunday 20th November 2016
Stop # 2 
8 pm after brunch and a long nap it was time to explore the city night life. I walked with my roommate to the Arts Centre to see Kylie On Stage - well not her but her costumes she wore throughout her concerts which were on display there in a free exhibition. Photos attached. Rating 9/10 - worth popping in and seeing - an express exhibition especially if you are lacking time and only have a few hours to spend around the city of Melbourne.









Monday 21st November 2016
No plans today - maybe a day indoors at the NGV - it is going to be mid to late 30s degrees C today therefore a day indoors in a cool environment would be good - can't go ice skating as I forgot to pack my skates , looking for some chocolate to take back with me but not a good idea as it will have all melted before departing Melbourne maybe a visit to Cacao or ACMI before taking Skybus to terminal 1 at Melbourne Airport and flying back to Sydney with Qantas.

Monday 21st November 2016
Stop # 1
I can't believe all the lockers on the ground floor of Melbourne YHA were taken so I had to get a temporary swipe card and drag my suitcase up the lift all the way up to the second set of lockers located on the 5th floor outdoor roof top. When I got up there I put a $10 note in the machine and it allocated me a locker that did not open then would not close. I had asked the receptionist down on the ground floor before going up the lift if there were any problems with the lockers on the roof top and she said no. Well there was and I just lost $4 and had to drag my suitcase back down the lift and I told the receptionist what happened and said I would use the Southern Cross Station lockers instead and was given a refund. As soon as I left I had to again go back because I had forgotten my stuff in the fridge. I was intending to go back and eat my pasta I made last night and keep my veg in the fridge for as long as possible but decided I could not be bothered - free food for someone . It does not end there, when I reached Southern Cross Station every available large locker was taken and my suitcase could not fit into a medium one so I had to cloak it with everyone else at the luggage hall. I paid $10 cash for my suitcase and a small bag containing my snacks for the plane. There was no fixed price for cloaking so I just negotiated and said that is all the cash I had - I was asked for $16 but in the end $10 was ok. I advised that I would be back by 4 pm to pick up.

Monday 21st November 2016
Stop # 2 & Stop # 3 & 4 Rating 8/10 all 3 exhibitions
11 am and I still had not reached the NGV. I stopped off at the ACMI to take a look at a free exhibition Screenworks currently on there and reserved a free ticket to see the virtual reality viewing of Collisions for the 3 pm session - this allowed me time to visit the NGV outdoor architecture exhibition and sit in the NGV members lounge to relax from the heat, recharge my phone, have a tea coffee or water and catch up on a bit of blogging.

Timing worked out well. After spending some time at the NGV, I had enough time to walk back to the ACMI for the 3 pm session of Collisions located in gallery 2 next door to the Screenworks exhibition. (refer uploaded youtube video of Screenworks")













































































On the skybus on the way to Melbourne Airport Terminal 1, the bus is full and I sat on the top deck of the bus with my suitcase stored at the very rear of the bottom deck luggage section. Whilst upstairs I heard ah oh luggage thump - hope it was not my suitcase that fell - very heavy. At the airport I had so much trouble with my luggage drop. It took 3 machines and 3 attempts with the assistance of a Qantas officer to get my suitcase moving forward on the bag drop belt. Onto security check I could see my carry on back pack stopping as it moved through the xray scanner.  Departure gate for Qantas flight back to Sydney - gate 4 the death gate!!!!I hope I land back in Sydney safely.

Now back in Sydney - baggage claim didnt take long now the long train and bus ride home. There are not many buses at this time of the night from Chatswood. I dont expect to get home before 10.30 pm tonight. luckily I dont have to start work until mid day tomorrow!

Arrived home at 10.50 pm Monday night.




No comments:

Post a Comment