Tuesday 1 November 2016

Tuesday 1st November 2016 - Melbourne Cup Day - "the race that stops the nation"

The annual Melbourne Cup Day (the 1st Tuesday of November) - a day at the races down in Melbourne at Femington - "the race that stops the nation" and a public holiday if you live in Melbourne.
A day full of fashions on the field and lots of drinking eating and smooching.
A day leading up to the all important Emerites Race at 3 pm.

I never attend the actual race but I do put my bet in either at the nearest TAB or office sweep if I am working on that day (not usually).

I always bet on a place or win never anything else. Some years I win a few dollars ( literally a "capital gain" eg $2) sometimes I just break even but most of the time I make a "capital loss". This year I tjought the horse #4 Bondi Neach would have a chance of winning but it didnt rven place in the top 4. I was going to bet $5 either way but decided against it. Instead I bet on 20 out of 24 horses - I read up on the 4 horses that had almost no chance in the top 20. I then put $.50 either way ie win or place on the remaining 20 horses ie I spent $20 in total. My return a loss of course - $12.25. It could have been worse. Probability was not my strong point in maths but I do know about risk minimisation theory.

So who won the race? Google it  horse # 17 13 & 6. I am really bad at spelling horse names.



No comments:

Post a Comment