Saturday 24 June 2017

Sunday 25th June 2017 - The Good Food and Wine Show Sydney @ ICC Darling Harbour

I arrived at the ICC Darling Harbour a little bit too early. The final day of The Good Food and Wine Show opened at 10 am and closed at 5 pm. I arrived at around 9.00 am and the Citibank counter was not even ready for wine glass collection.



I went back to collect my glass and drink voucher and join the Citibank priority queue. There was a problem joining the queue as the person behind the counter had given me the wine glass and drink voucher but had not stamped my hand or scanned my entry ticket barcode. At the Melbourne Good Food and Wine Show I was second in the queue, but in Sydney I was about 15th or so in the queue.

I had done a lot of preparation for the stands I needed to get to first in order not to miss out on products but it is difficult when you decide to bring someone with you and therefore missed out on some products being sold out before you reach the stand.

No Tuckers chocolate crackers this time round I missed out because we started from the Wine side of the show instead of the food side which was not what I had planned to do.  Because someone spwnt too long at Recycled Records,  I also thought I was going to miss out on the steak sandwich or suckling pig at the Everdure by Heston stand as I was at the very end of the line but made it before they did a head count to close off the line (I made the decision to run and join the what seemed like never ending queue) . I made it for the steak sandwich but not suckling pig they had been roasting on a spit all morning (queued up a little too early for that). It was a really good steak sandwich. This was actually my second tasting at the Everdure by Heston stand, first thing this morning after the Colgate Food Wonderland tastings ( consisting of a smooth spiced pumpkin soup with a cream foam followed by a mockrail complete with salt rim followed by a what looked like colourless, flavourless and raw ?? undercooked teriyaki chicken skewer complete with knife juggling act concluding with a nitro ice cream with squeezy pipette of caramel sauce and tiny speares of popping candy) and Vinomofo winescream tastings (non lactose white chardonnay or purple shiraz icecream),  was the grilled prawn salad served in a paper cone I tasted.




The Colgate Food Wonderland


Vinomofo including a giant swing and Winecream softserve which I could have eaten all day especially when advised that it was lactose free although not alcohol free! Yumo but turning me into a Wino!


Recycled Records - made into coasters.


Demonstration of the 54 degree celcius steak.


The yummy steak sandwich  from Everdure by Heston we had!


The grilled pineapples on a spit over coals again! These were to be served near the end of the day as the dessert course with salted caramel ice cream.


Areas set up for paid wine tasting sessions

Naked Bee - wine made from honey

Sauces, Condiments, Chutneys, Dukkah and Oils a plenty were at the show

The mustard truck selling hotdogs present at every show but no longer selling their $100 hot dogs! How times have changed financially.

The person I took found the back of this food truck (Greek Donuts) a good place to sit and rest on instead of sitting on the floor like the rest of the people who attended the show.


Towards 3 pm I was feeling quite sick - too much lactose mixed with undercooked chicken, colgate toothpaste and alcohol poisoning perhaps. Decided to stay and let my runny stomach settle before heading home at 4.45 pm (the traditional 15 minutes before closing time to pick up any last minute freebees and bargains). Sat quietly at the back on the floor of the celebrity chef theatre at 3.30 pm as a late entry when all seats were filled up and watched Luke Nguyen's XO sauce crab and scallops made from scratch. I had intended to either attend the prebooked Barrilla pasta class or this before attending the show today. I didn't feel well enough to attend the pasta class even if we go to keep the apron for free. 

My plus 1 had decided to head home earlier anyway - no stamina! I think I would have gone full bore right to the end at 5 pm if I wasn't feeling so sick. Got my free mushrooms as planned at the end just as I do each show as they were going to be thrown out anyway. 





























XO sauce with crab

XO sauce with Scallops


The Citibank Dining Program - if you are a Citibank card holder you get a free wine glass with a voucher to get a free glass of McWilliams wine at the above "Eat" seating area as well as priority entry into the show and priority entry to front row seating to the celebrity chef theatre cooking shows.

One of my favourite places to visit but unfortunately about 90% of the cheeses had sold out before the end of the day so I only managed to purchase 1 single block of smoked cheese from Mr and Mrs Cheese (previous contestants of MKR). I didn't even taste it at the show but when I got home and sample it - it was damn good cheese!!!!

The Oz Harvest Truck is ever present over the entire 3 days of each of The Good Food and Wines Shows to collect cash and food donations from show attendees and exhibitors.






Nonnas Bakery - staff at the end of the show having some fun dancing to some tradtional accordion music. A fun thing to watch.


Disappointments this show - no sable grapes, no modi apples and very little quality chocolate (must be saving it up for the 2 day chocolate festival later in the year - can't wait!) but did manage to get some free packets of prunes, a free sample pack of Lurpak butter, a mini jar of chutney, some free sample sachet packets of nutella, some free mushrooms, some free sample packets of vegemite bagel chips,  a full sized tube of Colgate sensitive teeth toothpaste, another Good Food and Wine wine glass with a free glass of wine voucher (both given to my plus 1) as well as sampling of heaps of food and drink throughout the show!

A chocolate brownie for Kate and the apple shaped apple slicer for my plus 1 who was eyeing it but didn't actually buy it.

All the food stuffs I purchased and received goes well with the free bamboo spatula I got yesterday from the Blue Mountains Winter Magic Festival!

Rating 7/10 - Melbourne did it better then Sydney this year even with its first year back at Darling Harbour. Complaints about lack of toliets. Good Food and Wine Show Sydney - Its a wrap for 2017!



No comments:

Post a Comment