Friday 8 September 2017

Friday 8th - Saturday 9th September 2017 - Day Trip to Bowral

A day trip down to Bowral in the Southern Highlands is highly recommended particulary when the Bowral Markets are on once a month or when it's TULIP TIME!

I had planned to do this day trip on my own however  when one of my bus buddies asked me if she could "tag" along I said ok.

I usually travel alone and there are reasons for this. Being a blogger you have to be able to travel alone to give the best advice, information or opinon to others without bias or interference.  You need to be free to be able to experience events and visit places of interest to the max. If you have someone else "tagging" along it minimises your experience as you maybe restricted to what you see and do often in a limited time frame. On your own you are free to pick where you want to go and what you want to do or see at your own pace. By restricting your experience you are creating a biased opinion.

If you have been reading my old blog I actually travelled to Bowral twice both on day trips (although it has been a while) around this time of the year. Once was to visit the Bowral Markets and the other time was to visit Corbett Gardens just before the Tulip Festival opens to the public.

Photos attached.

Bowral Markets
I didn't spend as much time as I would have liked to at the Markets as I was travelling with someone else who wanted to just look at book stalls, shop for oils, sauces, chutneys etc,  eat and sample free products and have coffee. I wanted to have another look inside the school museum but it was a little difficult to do. I almost missed 2/3 of the markets because my bus buddy thought the section of the market we saw was it. There was a lot more to the markets hidden around the Bowral Public School grounds and I knew it. It was actually the school's 150 year anniversary and in the corner in a hall near the back of the markets was a significant display of the school's history with photos of all classes past and present. I wanted to have a look at this but knew my bus buddy would not be interested as she was not interested in paying a visit inside the school's museum as well.

I wondered off while she was looking at the book stall to try and purchase some things and take some photos of the market stalls and to see what else was interesting. I only managed to purchase a punnet of locally grown strawberries and a bunch of lemon thyme in her short absence before she came searching for me as I wandered around the corner of the markets - she thought I would not be able to find her - that's what you carry a mobile phone around for!!!! I would not have wandered far!

When I asked her to take a photo of me in the old dingy at the markets my bus buddy firstly couldn't see the image of me on my rather large screen, then she kept putting her finger over the camera lens and I had to yell at her over and over again that she had her finger over the camera lens then she dropped my phone but managed to catch it before it hit the ground - if she had dropped it and broken it I would probably have been really angry as my work is on my phone and ever since my Sony backup phone blewup and I had to return my Note 7, I have no backup phone.

My bus buddy carries a phone but would not even use it to make a booking. I had to do it for her which is very surprising as she is a travel agent - therefore no phone no direct train booking back to Sydney. My battery was almost flat by the end of the day!

I stopped for her to get a coffee and to have a quick snack but she took so long getting her coffee. When she returned I indirectly said to her - there was a queue was there? but was really asking what took her so long!
The coffee stall -  and there were several around was not far away from where we were sitting! I could go anywhere in her absence as I was minding her rather heavy overnight bag full of stuff  she had purchased which was heavier then my 30 L hiking backpack!!!!

We didn't stay much longer at the markets afterwards. A look around town was next, then a bite to eat (which I didn't really need but my bus buddy really did),  then off to Corbett Gardens - a quick last minute phone call to book the next direct train to Central instead of taking the next train to Campbelltown and changing onto a suburban train back to Central Station which takes an hour or so longer as originally intended and a stop off at Gumnut Patisserie before heading back to Sydney at 2.20 pm from Bowral Station. By this time my backpack was getting heavy and I was a little tired and felt my trip to Bowral was not as I had planned -  ie a little disappointment/incompleteness felt and a "I must return on my own again" feeling.

The school bell

If you get lost around the markets or need a meeting point this sign post is a good landmsrk to use.

One of many school buildings

Garden sculptures

Signage of buildings around the school

The flowers are starting to bloom around the school grounds

The archway another landmark

One of the many playground equipment

Honey and various food products for sale

Flowers for sale

The crowds at the market stalls

Horseshoe sculptures for sale



The school's museum

Corbett Gardens pre Tulip Festival
I took so many photos of Corbett Garden. The tulips were not really in bloom yet. A large patch of white tulips had bloomed but only the odd red and yellow tulips had bloomed amongst the thousands that were planted for the festival.  I don't believe they will be in full bloom in time for the opening day of the festival in a few days time.
I spent more time at Corbett Gardens then I did at the Markets which was not my original intention.

One of the main gates to Corbett Gardens

Lonely floppy red tulip

Lonely floppy yellow tulip


The very patchy patch of red tulips

Garden closure notice ore event setup

The only  garden patch of white tulips in full bloom


Cherry blossoms



Giant magnolia tree




Secondary Rotunda

Main Rotunda

The tulip embossed brickwork along the paths of the garden

The central tulip sculpture 

More colours


Fencing around one of the main tulip displays not quite in bloom yet

Information Centre for visitors

Foot bridge crossing the water feature

The water feature with no water in it yet

A sea of colours but not tulips!


Things I purchased


Gumnut Patisserie - my favourite stop in Bowral where I purchased a purple and green vanilla flavoured  tulip shaped meringue which did not survive the train trip back to Sydney along with a chocolate mouse cake above with gold leaf which also did not survive the train trip back to Sydney very well. Yum!

At Bowral Markets I purchased a large punnet of locally grown strawberries, a trio set of mini bottles of olive oils (plain and lime and chilli infused) and pomegranate balsamic vinegar as well as some creamed honey as well as 2 olive and rosemary sourdough dinner rolls and gluten free potato bread with tumeric. 


At the Senior citizens hall located in Corbett Gardens where the tulip festival is held , I purchased some Australian made Bowral Tulip socks only available in size 13 -3 and a set of 6 Australian made handkerchiefs all depicting Australian animals and flowers. Souvenirs but also for my collection of hand gifts - it is so rare to find genuine Australian made products today. For my bus buddy's birthday I purchased a Tulip Time teatowel which unfortunately was made in China but it is the thought that counts. I was going to get her a Tulip Time keyring also made in China but I thought it was a little tacky

Around Bowral


In one of the arcades there are professional office suites and this was a chalk mural on one of its walls


After the markets it was a look around the shops in Bowral. It was all about my bus buddy - most of the time she wanted to spend at book stores and also a purchase at Black Pepper a clothing store I think it was called for older ladies. She purchased a top after she purchased some books. All I wanted to do was get some more money out of an ATM (cashless after my shopping spree for food items at the markets)  and a visit to the kitchen and homewares store (if I was on my own I would have spent longer there and maybe purchased a few funky gadgets unavailable where I work). My bus buddy was always hungry so we stopped for lunch at a cafe in some arcade. I would have preferred take away from my favourite patisserie Gumnut Patisserie. I was't all that hungry as we had been tasting and eating throughout the markets. The table service was disgraceful, the cockery and cutlery dirty (especially my bus buddy's milk in a dirty white pourer) and her tea was cold and my chicken schnitzel toastie with slaw - well was too scared to even eat it and left about half of it scared I would get food poisoning! - danger zone between 4 and 60  degrees Celsius!!!!
Next stop a toliet stop and onto Corbett Gardens.

On the train back to Sydney earlier then expected. After my final stop at Gumnut Patisserie.  I booked the 2.20 pm direct train back to Sydney. Just as well as we would have had to change trains at Macarther or Campbelltown Stations. Note : No Opal cards accepted on prebooked services direct to Sydney approximate cost one way economy $23. Such a long day and such a heavy backpack with stuff purchased.

Home by 5 pm on the M40 bus.

Next adventure Monday 11th September onto Fine Foods Australia @ ICC Darling Harbour. Another exhausting day ahead!


Bowral Markets Rating 9/10. One of my favourite out of town markets to visit (on my own). Very relaxing atmosphere good range of products but expect crowds as they are only on once a month especially visitors from Sydney on a day trip to Bowral or the Southern Highlands which I must explore more of. Only open between 8 am and 1 pm as with most regional and suburban markets. Don't forget to visit the Bowral school's museum. Quaint little school house with lots of memorbilia.

Corbett Gardens  Rating 9/10 smaller garden but very pretty. Better in full bloom and with water in the water feature. Proves that it is not all about the size of a garden. Walking distance from centre of Bowral.

Gumnut Patisserie Rating : 8/10 always something yummy to eat from there. Be prepared for queues out the door and good luck in finding an outdoor table and seats to eat your goodies on! I usually do take away - a trip to Gumnut for bread pies or something sweet to have on my long journey back to Sydney on the train - don't rely on the buffet on the train for snacks it is closed very shortly after it departs Bowral for Sydney!

Train Services : Rating 7/10 Direct services down to Bowral ftom Sydney recomnended.(booked under NSW Trainlink) 3 services a day one starting at 6.57 am (yep early start!) another in the afternoon and I believe one more at night. It is a shared train service therefore bookings are required and seat allocation is essential and the train splits into 2 at Goulburn to service 2 regional train routes therefire ensure you get onto the correct carriage and seat! You cannot cross carriages unless until you arrive at Goulburn where the train stops and splits in the middle. Confusing which carriages are front and back of trains in both directions as trains are dual ended. Yes the trains have a "cafe"  to purchase snacks and drinks from and restrooms. Luggage racks available onboard train carriages however you can check in bulky or oversized/overpriced items at additional cost. Don't try to bring your full snowboarding or ski bag on board like one passenger did. It is a dangerous tripping hazzard. It states clearly in terms and condition  on your ticket they have to be checked in at additional cost. No smoking on board. Short haul less then 2 hours travel economy sale fare whenever possible but longer haul greater then 2 hours and overnight  first class sale fare or even sleeper if available highly recommended.
More frequent train services in between changing at Macarthur or Campbelltown run daily but is a cheaper option using an Opal card.








No comments:

Post a Comment