Monday 11 September 2017

Monday 11th September 2017 - Fine Food Australia 2017 (Sydney) @ ICC

Lets talk about day 1 of this 4 day trade only event before I forget all about it.

Finally the day has come to attend this annual event which alternates between Sydney and Melbourne each year. It is Sydney's turn in 2017. Last year I went to the event in Melbourne and it was huge and if you recall I ran out of time and struggled to see everything.

This year I sort of had a plan but it was on at the new ICC at Darling Harbour spread over 2 entire floors starting with registration on the 4th floor and with the exhibition continuing on the 1st floor. Logical? Not really but I only arrived at 11 am and stayed until around 5 pm - the event didn't close until 6 pm but I still had time to return to level 4 again to take a final look around - although a few of the stands had run out of samples or packed up for the day already. I had 2 final cold mini pies - there were plenty of these left. They were ok but I did wonder who made them bakers or apprentices. (Will talk about the Great Australian Pie Competition later).

Throughout the day there were so many samples given out but not necessarily the ones I really wanted eg one of the decadent eclairs that were on display - you had to enter a competition and hand over your business card to get your hands on one - too many people so I left - just as well as I would have been sick if I ate one anyway being lactose intolerant! A continuous running tap of melted chocolate would have done  - similar to the one pictured below the eclairs at the same stand or a finished chocolate even made from the chocolate moulding machines also at the same stand.









After collecting a floor plan and collecting my visitor badge, I sat outside the exhibition halls on level 4 to plan my visit for the day. There were certain stands I wanted to visit but I also wanted to see as much baking related products and demonstrations as possible to pick up some new tricks and tips as well as products and trends.

I spent quite a lot of time up on level 4 as this was where all the cooking and baking was. I watched some of the baking skills in action and some of the cullinary skills in action. There was also a section dedicated to pie making and butchery skills.

Photos attached.

Let's start with interesting stands I visited







"Creating Sweet Memories" - they certainly did! Apparently a Queensland company which has been established for many years had this eye catching stand full of cakes complete with a table setting which just drew you in. I had to photograph it and give it an honorable mention on my blog. Unfortunately it was all look but don't touch.






"Luv Sum" I loved this stall because it was tiny and shows what an exhibitor can do with fitting out a very limited amount of space. I started taking photos of this stall when the person maning the stall suddenly yells out "That will be $50 per photo thanks" My response was "Do you want to be on my blog?" His response "For you $49.95" The protein snacks market is extremely competitive today - every man and his dog is making them along with cereal or museli bars. I hope he will be happy with his honable mention on my blog.





I can't remember the name of the above boutique cheese producer but their cheeses were actually "udderly delicous" as they stated. Based in Queensland their niche was unique cheese flavours such as lemon myrtle macadamia and mango macadamia. I had a wee taste and it was yummy says I who is lactose intolerant. This was another Queensland company but right next door to these "udderly delicous" boutique cheeses was "Gourmet Fudge Supplies" below another Queensland company.




I have to admit I don't like fudge at all but I did have a wee taste of these fudges and it was quite nice. Some vey unsual flavours too. Another honourable mention on my blog. Fudge and cheese go quite nicely together surprisingly you just have to pick the correct combination of sweet and savoury.

Onto some tableware and there was so much of it - crockery and cutlery everywhere cups and plates were displayed everywhere!

I promised I would mention on my blog "My Obsession" - every man and his dog was producing similar products everything was textured earthen rimmed organic or white . This company had a few unique pieces - such as shaped dishes such as those below.





Then there were the countless displays of cakes bread and pastries which were all look but don't touch below











A little disappointed that the bake skills was on later during the 4 day event. There was not much cake making or decorating to be seen on the Monday. There were chocolate art demonstrations run by Calabaut but I didnt stay to watch any of them. I spotted a few sugar art and chocolate art displays around but they were very few on the 1st day of the event.







Then there were the culinary competitions (including a Chinese culinary section) and Offical Great Australian Pie Competition. Amazing how you can turn a fidget spinner and some blu tac to rotate a plate for plating up! A skill picked up ! Must try it.













If I were to judge the Chinese culinary skills I wouldn't score these dishes very highly just look at the inconsistencies in the plating up!!!!!!

Other honable mentions to the company's displays 

QCC for their wall of plates


Trenton for their hanging pyramid of cups


Tompkin and their Eiffle Tower of pots and pans


So many products on offer to taste or samples given away.

I managed to get a pair of rather oversized oven gloves, a red dough scraper, a bar blade, some flavoured nuts to pair up with drinks and some curry and chili powders. I am sure I could have obtained a lot more samples that were offered to me however I politely said "no thanks" to a lot of them. The salads and wraps on offer to sample were amazing but I saw very little quality chocolate except for cake topping. There was a vegan Daiya NY cheese cake I got to sample from the Canadian stand and the below sample pack of Chinese sausage made in Canada which I gave to my work collegue who loves it. I won't touch h it myself.


So much stuff to look at - uniforms catering equipment bakeware, food and drinks and coffee and coffee acessories heaps of it!!!!

I think I could have returned for another day.


Rating : 7/10 Melbourne does it better because it is all on one level.











No comments:

Post a Comment