Friday 23 March 2018

Saturday 24th March 2018 - 21st Biennale of Sydney & Saturday Markets @ Carriageworks

I didn't head off to the Saturday Carriageworks Markets untill almost 11 am. I was planning to go earlier but thought that if I was going to see the 21st Biennale of Sydney @ Carriageworks I would not be purchasing many groceries as I would normally therefore would not need a lot of time to look around.

First stop, before hopping on the train from Chatswood Station direct to Redfern Station followed by a 15 minute walk to Carriageworks, was to get a hot snack from Woolworths then some cash out and recharge my Opal card for the week. All done.






Next as soon as I get to the Carriageworks Markets I purchase some woodears and a bag of achachas - it is a fruit in the Mangosteen family. Also another snack or bread - sweet or savoury? I choose sweet  - a rhubarb pear & pistachio  croissant from Shepherds Breads - Yum! One of my favourite Carriageworks Market treats.

Photos below




Ok onto what I came to Carriageworks for - the 21st Biennale of Sydney Superposition Equilibrium  & Engagement location # 2 Carriageworks.

As soon as I walk through the main doors of Carriageworks there is a rather large piece of artwork - not part of the Biennale I believe. See photos attached  below of this interactive art installation by Katharina Grosse where you can walk around it or peep inside it or walk inside it.















Artists :
1. Marco Fusinato
Is this interactive art installation art? A baseball bat chained to a wall where you are invited to hit the wall as hard as you like to cause it make an amplified booming sound? (one hit per person only the guides are watching!)




2. Chen Shaoxiong - another interactive art installation based on circular monochrome screen prints where visitors can take anonomous "shadow selfies" by posing behind these screen prints. Unfortunately you need someone else to take these shadow selfies from the other side of the screen prints therefore they are not really shadow selfies.









3. George Tjungurrayi
I wasn't at all interested in this art installation and it seemed neither was anyone else but later on I had a second look at it and so did many other visitors.
I stared at each piece and they became 3 dimensional - an optical illusion making the curves move? Reminds me of those staring postcards where if you stared at the patterns long enough you would see say shapes or animals in 3D for example - I think I still have a few post cards of them!



4. Michael Stevenson
I didnt get this art installation at all. Look quite a few photos but it was probably my least favourite art installation. What was with the slip on shoe covers we had to wear to enter the art installation?











5. Semiconductor
Refer upload of a video to YouTube and photos below. Another one of my favourite interactive art installations using multicoloured visual imagery and sounds. Each sequence of visuals synchronised to sounds played is over 5 minutes long.







6. Nguyen Trinh Thi
The below are just some photos from the video documentary that was playing in the theatrette at the back corner of the Carriageworks main art installation hall. The hall is quite dark and I missed this art installation and had to return to find where it was.


7. Sam Falls
From a distance his art does not seem as interesting as most of the other art installations but I had a closer look and was quite surprised to see flowers and leaves left as imprints on his artworks. If you ever collected leaves, flowers or other objects to be used for creating light sensitive photography ie where you arrange your leaves flowers or other objects collected onto light sensitive photo paper and when you expose the areas not covered up to light it turns dark leaving an outline of the leaves flowers and other objects white once they are removed off the light sensitive paper. This is what Sam Falls art installation reminds me of.





8. Laurent Grasso
Giant projection screen hidden behind all the other art installations. Fascinating to watch although the video is quite lengthy. I took some photos from the video towards the end of it. Infrared sensors, drones and other photographic tools have been used making for amazing aerial photography  of  isolated locations. I don't think I sat and watched all of it as I kept missing the beginning.






Too hot and tired to visit a 3rd Biennale location today or see another French Film Festival movie before it ends on Monday. Train home. 2 Biennale locations down 5 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment