Thursday 1 March 2018

Thursday 1st March 2018 - Christmas Bettle Infestation and I'm Not Brenda!(Once Again)

The beginning of a new month and the first day of Autumn (or Fall) in the Southern Hemisphere. The weather is not too hot and not too cold although a little too humid still.

We have an infestation if Christmas bettles where I work and have no idea where they are coming from - we suspect from the air conditioning vents above. Poor little bettles Christmas is well and truely over and  they are a little late showing up this year however because they have very short lives we tried not to kill them but release them back into the wild.

Back to my blog. A very funny incident happened today at work and I'm unsure whether to laugh or cry.

I was serving a lady on the "gadget wall" side of the store and tried to finish assisting her with her product inquiry as soon as I could as I noticed a gentleman who is a regular customer of ours, standing near the gadget wall holding a 20 or 23 cm round cake tin he had picked out himself from the "baking wall" on the opposite side of the store, looking as if he was waiting to speak specically to me when I was free about an inquiry. I recognised the gentleman as a regular customer although I did not know his name. I did wonder why he had not approach one of my other work collegues for assistance and thought may be he had a baking inquiry since he was holding a cake tin and I am known for my baking knowledge.

So this gentleman was actually after a blow torch and butane gas to apparently "torch his balls" (on top of his specialty cake covered in marzipan that is and not in reference to the Mardi Gras which is on this Saturday night).

I proceed to explain and show him the 2 types of blow torches we had in stock at the moment and explain in detail how each of them operated eg one handed or two handed operation etc and recommended the preferred blow torch to purchase as well as explaining the refill butane gas can with nozzles to him.

He then suddenly  asked me the strangest question "Was I still going to yoga classes?"
Yoga classes? Then it clicked - an estimated 30 minutes , 1 round cake tin , a blow torch and can of butane gas later that he thought I was Brenda my work collegue. So instead of telling that I was not Brenda straight away I asked if he was still going to yoga classes. I knew exactly why he asked me this question as I was next to Brenda when they were discussing this months ago. I had to tell him that I wasn't Brenda at this point and after he said to me that he thought we were sisters - I added as a joke "Do I look like Brenda?" - it is not the first time of mistaken identity - I did not mention the "All Asians look same cliche" . I then proceeded to explain that although we are both Asian,  speak the same language,  both went to a private girls school in the Eastern suburbs next door to each other and her distant relative is my mutual friend that we are unrelated and come from different countries but we are both considered Australian Chinese.

We went on to have a further chat and joke before I put through his purchase thanked him and asked what his name was. Phil  - I certainly won't  forget name again.










No comments:

Post a Comment