Saturday 30 March 2019

Saturday 30th March 2019 - My first Night In Greenwich

Today is moving day - finally after 28 days "living" at YHA railway Square in a 4 share female carriage dorm I am moving to my new rental studio where I will live for the next year at least.

It was a fun experience living in the city and I will miss having roommates to talk to and the social atmosphere there.

I won't miss the shared bathroom facilities and the filthy people who kept leaving their milk and yoghart in the fridge which kept leaking all over my bags of food and having to clean up every day nor will I miss not having anywhere in the kitchen to store my food and squeezing my bags of cold food in the very bottom shelve of any refrigerator.

I wil miss the daily free continental breakfast supplied of vegemite a variety of breads orange juice  a variety of cereals and jams and a hot beverage ( which I never had time for). I will miss having instant hot water from an urn where I can fill my thermos water bottle I take to work.

I will miss waking up to the sounds of the trains commencing their journeys from 3 am each morning - the station announcements, the tooting of horns, the blowing of whistles, the chugging and clanking of trains to all destinations around Australia ( especially the twice daily departure and arrival of the Melbourne 1980s XPT  which normally departs from the platform right next to the YHA)  and all the sounds associated with Central Railway Station's daily operations.

Now I wake to the 24/7 traffic of cars buses bikes taxis trucks and other vehicles along Pacific Highway - the constant swishing sounds as they drive past in both directions as well as the constant warmth of the sun and if I lift my blind up the shadows of trees and leaves swaying in front of the property.

My first night on Saturday was a very strange feeling - suddenly I am alone in a strange unfamiliar place - in summary I have not finished unpacking yet - the tv doesn't work - no signal (the remote is still missing) and there is no one around that you know - "Lonely I'm so lonely...." yes that song sums it up. It's just my phone and me - luckily there is technology and I am able to Facebook message my friends.

I remember when I signed the lease and got the keys a week earlier then I planned to allow me time to gradually move my stuff into the studio - although I made a trip every night after work with a few of my things, the first night I moved ( Tuesday afternoon after work @ Balmain 26th March 2019) my inflatable queen mattress sheets pillow cases a doona and a square fold up storage ottamon. These were the basics I retrieved from my storage. I blew up my mattress and just laid on it staring at the ceiling fan and light not wanting to get up but tempted to sleep there overnight. No must get up as my roomates will be concerned if I don't return and report me as missing to reception at the YHA.




Back to the YHA it was.

Now that I have spent my first night at the studio - I went shopping quickly on my way back from the YHA the previous night and purchased a pillow and matress topper - It is Sunday and I just don't want to get up out of my comfortable queen bed!!!. It was suppose to be 12 degrees this morning - did not feel it. I should go to my storage to get a heap of essentials for the studio but have to persuade myself to have my first shower after my first breakfast in my studio - the shower door is stuck.

Sunday 31st March - night 2 in the studio - better as I took the bus to my storage again and retrieved my tv and a vaccum cleaner as well as my favourite stuffed possum and other essentials such as rolls of  loo paper soap  and tissues!!!

I watched MKR on channel 7 and it will be an early night again. For dinner it was cheese crackers and a banana.

Tomorrow I hope to go back to my storage to pick up or purchase a kettle if I can't access it from my storage a bench top oven microwave or portable induction stove and maybe a pot to boil some water. I will give my studio a vacuum as well as it is getting very dirty from the stuff I am bringing inside with me unfortunately as the studio has fully tiled floors. Not feeling as lonely now.

The more personal items I bring back to the studio with me the less lonely I feel









No comments:

Post a Comment