Sunday 10 May 2020

Monday 11th Friday 15th May 2020 - Still Unemployment After 8 Weeks & The Power Of Social Media

Another big thank you to all my readers out there especially from the USA as I know you are all having a tougher time then Australia dealing with the current COVID - 19 situation. Although I still haven't heard anything from my previous employer and I have been applying for jobs but still unemployed and on welfare payments after 7 full weeks now, I remain optimistic and am greatful for what I have and that I am better off then a lot of people in Australia and around the world.

I wish I didn't have to rely on welfare payments as there are people that need it more then I do. I have been feeling helpless since becoming unemployed although I have not shown it writing my blogs and wish that I could do more to help people especially in need but I can't and I think there would be others that feel the same way. As humans we can tolerate social distancing to an extent however not social isolation for prolonged periods of time. For those who have lost close friends and their closest family and have been living alone like me will know how it feels to be socially isolated - my employment was my only form of physical social contact to the community - it was one of the things in my life that was important to me.

It's been about 7 years ago now that I lost my payroll job due to a company restructure and then lost my mum in the same year followed by my grandfather a few years later that was the most difficult time of my life I had to go through. Yesterday was Mother's Day as mentioned in my previous blog which made it even more difficult for me but after her death I continued to live life the best I could instead of spiraling into depression.

I transitioned into my previous job in retail ( the one I was made redundant from due to COVID - 19 ) and never went back to my previous profession and I loved it. It paid to keep my casual second job and it saved me thanks to the LSL owing to me whilst waiting for my first welfare payment to come through.

I kept running in the annual Blackmores Running Festival in memory of my mum ( hopefully by September this year the event will be able to go ahead) as this was when she passed away whilst I was away running the race and I continued to travelled to places of interest and attend as many events as I can. I think this is what she would have wanted as my mum was a bit of an adventurous person and at one point I even sneaked her onto some of the seniors' day trips I was assisting on! I miss you mum so much and wherever you are I hope you have reunited with grandpa.

Life goes on and that is why I am remaining optimistic about the current COVID- 19 situation. Today in Australia is an important Government announcement - d-day to announce what further restrictions will be lifted and when in what stages. Some non essential retailers have already reopened to the public and I have seen quite a few preparing to reopen by cleaning their stores. The problem is will they be rehiring or just employing what staff they have or still employing skeleton staff?

I know I have to continue to look for employment but what if I still can't find employment by 22nd of May? I will have to fulfil my mutual obligations to Centrelink and I am unsure how I even do this. It was complicated enough just to apply for welfare  (JobSeeker) and more complicated with employers JobKeeper if the company was eligible put into place much later. I have not even approached my previous employer about JobKeeper as that came after JobSeeker. You may be entitled to both but you have to report both and the calculation of reporting both payments gets quite complicated so I am a little glad I haven't or am not getting JobKeeper payments ( where you have to return to work) as well ? that - what happens if you rehire someone but there is actually no work does the employer have to create work for thst person? Getting paid to go to work and do nothing and being paid from the government via your employer to do so - is that better then getting paid from the government and staying home and doing nothing? I am unsure - you risk contracting the virus if you go to work and boredom of there is genuinely nothing to do  but if you stay at home you are less likely to contract the virus or spread it if you have it however you will still be bored. The difference is if get the option to go to work you get paid more from the government even if  your hours are usually less or are less then what the government is paying. It is not as easy to explain the difference between the 2 government subsidies as you think. There was quite a humorous Tiktok video  someone uploaded that compared the 2. It actually summarises the JobSeeker and JobKeeper government subsidies  quite well.

The thing that keep me busy through unemployment is social media -  my daily blog, my Youtube channel and online study. It may not keep me physically connected to the community but at least I can keep in contact with any friends or acquaintances around the world via Facebook for example.

Power of Social Media is working and it was also the very first course I completed online.

After checking the analytics of my blog today I now have over 24 000 readers and from many countries of the world I have not even heard of! I also noted that my readership really hit the bottom of the trough during COVID-19 but recently it seems to be slowly increased in an upward direction again. My aim was to reach 25 000 readers before the next anniversary of my blog this year in Oct/Nov. It is taking a little longer then I would have liked it to. Will I reach my goal?

Finally ventured out again in the afternoon today to return my faulty air bed to Kmart. I decided not to get a replacement of the same product. I wanted to get 2 gym mats instead but none were available neither were the inflatable camping mats. How can all 3 products sell out completely across all stores? There was a whole palette of inflatable camping mats just a week or so ago. What are people doing with them? We can't exactly travel anywhere not even camping until restrictions on regional travel have officially been lifted - you don't want to cope a fine.

Unable to get what I wanted from Kmart I spent some at the supermarket to top up my groceries ie toliet paper ( I seem to be using more toliet paper now then when there was a shortage! I hope the supermarkets bring back the individual rolls of paper wraped single ply toliet paper soon - I think I am allergic to the bleached embossed fancy 3 ply stuff which is all that is available at the moment), tissues, antibacterial wipes ( yes they are available again!!!, a large bottle of disinfectant ( although there was no berry fragrance available) , a large bottle of laundry detergent ( not the brand I wanted but), basil ( fresh was unavailable so I purchased a packet of semi dried), a bag of carrots, a bag of mixed greens ( a change from the rocket snd spinach mix I usually buy), a bunch of brocolini, chicken wings ( last packet of free range on the fridge shelf available), raw cashews, a medium size can of salmon ( to replace the tin I ate), packet of plain flour ( yes another packet - I originally had the self raising flour in my trolley but changed it to plain flour because most recipes I make use all purpose flour and baking powder or bi carb  not self raising flour - this time I purchased the packet of flour which gives 10c per packet towards rural assistance) and a few other things.  I ended up put a few items back as they were not on  my shopping list.

With my heavy bag of groceries I walked back upto Westfield Shopping Centre to Target and grabbed the air mattress I had been thinking about whether or not buy previously. The Bestway queen air matress I have slept on before many years ago when I was living at home but temporaily in a rental house before moving to the Northern suburbs from the Eastern suburba for the first time was the queen air matress I had been looking at to purchase as an alternative to the faulty Kmart one returned ( for the 3rd time). It was comfy but deflated by the time I moved to our new house. After that I slept on a light foam mattress on top of a Eurobed which cost double the price of the Bestway bed and always has security tags around the boxes eventhough they are not the most expensive airbeds available at Target. It was a quick decision - sleep on the tiled floor tonight or buy the Bestway bed. I buy the Bestway queen air bed which was almost double the price of the Kmart air bed. I took it not to the self service check out but to customer srvice as I wanted to know the warranty on the airbed - it did not say but was advised 12 months at least which was the same as the kmart air bed I had returned after it completely deflated after sleeping on it just for 1 night! I thought it was only sagging after a few hours of inflating it and laying on it but by the time I woke up the next morning my whole body was on the floor not just my bum! After asking the customer service person at Target about the warranty I asked if I could pay for it there and to tape the receipt to the box. When I told him what happened to my Kmart air matress I had returned he advised me how this is quite a good airbed and recently had a revamp to make it more durable - hopefully it will last longer then 3 months this time. He also mentioned how the double the price Eurobed looked comfy after recommending it and I advised him how I've tried that before and it deflated. I said that I've tried all the airbeds except the most expensive one.

Because my bags were so heavy now I decided to take the bus to the station as it was a short but slightly uphill walk.

I was going to pick up a few other essentials from the Woolworths Metro but decided to head straight home instead - they can wait for another day as I could not fit anymore groceries into my bags and I still had to get home to inflate my air matress and set it up with sheets pillows and a comforter.

I test it out by laying on it and it still feels like it is sagging where my bum is. This sir mattress is meant to take a maximum of 295 kg whereas the Kmart air mattress only has a weight capacity of 250 kg which is the same as the Eurobed. There is no way I weigh more 100 kg being a maxium of a Australian size 10. Even with my 6 poly filled willows, my light weight comforter and a poly filled matress topper, the weight would not exceed 100 kg. So I will have to see what happens after my first night's sleep on it.

Watching Masterchef I fell asleep towards the end yet again and also missed Have You Been Paying Attention afterwards. So I don't know which Masterchef team went into the elimination round.

It is around 1 am in the morning and I woke up so am now catching up on my bogging again.

Tuesday 12th May 2020 
Week 8 of Unemployment Continues.
I slept in again today, had breakfast, did a bit of blogging, watch YouTube, checked Facebook the caught up with last night's episode of Masterchef  - so much advertising so I fast forwarded to the end segment of last night's episode - brown team won the twist service challenge over the grey team.

Most of today was looking for employment both paid and unpaid online whilst watching the SBS Food Channel at the same time and registering for yet another IT related course online through Future Learn.

In between I  made my apple cake which I mentioned in one of my previous blogs I wanted to make. Again with whatever left over I could find. This time I didn't follow a recipe. All I did was whisk 3 eggs really well together, added some dark molasses and some pure icing sugar, chopped up granny Smith apples, self raising flour, sodium bi carb, lots of ground and paste cinnamon, ground cloves,  vanilla paste, olive oil, pinch of salt before stirring to form a smooth batter. I then transferred it to a parchment lined dish into the oven.

I had no idea how it would turn out and I was really impatient so cut a piece off straight out of the oven after pouring over it a butterscotch syrup. The result is a dark cake ( due to the molasses) which was still really hot and not very nice to taste. I decided to rest the remainder of the cake to let it cool completely before tasting it again - much better looking and tasting more like an apple cake. Nice with some butter,cream, custard or even with my rosewater date paste from a previous recipe. 

Tasted better then it looked after I let it cool down completely. 


Apologies I am having trouble uploading a photo again

Wednesday 13th May 2020
I just can't get out of bed. Breakfast of leftovers followed by dusting the ceiling fan which I usually do once a month ( it's a little bit late being done this month). Catch up on YouTube, checked Facebook and emails. I just received my first unsucessful response from a a ski store The Ark Ski that I enquired about employment at.

This is now getting a little depressing. No word from any other companies yet and I have written off 2 job applications already as its been 2 months and no word from one them. I think they were both agencies which I really hate - Big Merchandising was one of them from 2 months ago and Catering company looks like another one - postscript I was right by Thursday 14th May 2020 I got a response via email that my application was unlikely to go further.

Started getting responses from the volunteer organisation  I have to wait for a response from each of them before  I forward cover letters and resumes to each organisation I applied to. These are volunteer positions why is it so difficult to volunteer? After they receive your cover letter and resume you then have to fill out forms that are usually pages long and have criminal record checks etc before you even get an interview - if you get one , you usually then have to pay for a uniform and insurance before you start. I usually stop after forwarding my cover letter and resume most of the time. I have done so many different volunteering  jobs  in the past and none of them have need me to jump through so many hoops or pass through so much red tape. I hope at least one of the volunteering jobs I have applied for will allow me to start soon without all the hoops and red tape. I have already blsck listed a few voulteering organisations because of the red tape and fees involved just to volunteer.

Applied for a few more jobs and even looked at Airtasker to see if there were any odd jobs I  could possibly do - None.

Watching Masterchef again tonight. I feel asleep again.

Thursday 14th May 2020
It not a very nice day today but I didn't sleep in today.

I caught up on last night's episode of Masterchef online.

Changed the bin liners, cleaned and cleaned out the fridge, had breakfast of left overs again with the very dense block of bread I made yesterday which I toasted and ate with some cream cheese. Not bad but really dense. I am running out of food again and only have 1 piece of salmon left.

I checked my Facebook - no new messages or posts today. Watched some YouTube  and caught up with my blog. I also uploaded another flashback video from 2018 onto YouTube whilst watching the SBS Food Channel.

I am currently recharging my phones and still need to sort my dirty laundry out and empty my bins. I can't believe I finally got up onto my ottoman and dusted the ceiling fan yesterday so don't have to do it today.

I still need to vacuum a little more and scrub the bathroom floor in some areas. And my filing is a little out of control so needs to be done.

I may not go out as planned today because it is quite a yukky day. It is a late night shopping day.

I completed week 1 of the IT related course I was working on late last night but am unsure if it was what I wanted to study therefore may not continue it.  Too much theory and no examples or hands on exercises . Not s free short course either.

I was trying to find a suitable photo and video editor online which was free. I used to use Viva Video however it is no longer a free app so I came acrosd a photo editor that already had on my phone called Snapseed and played with it for the first time. It is rather goid if you know what you are doing ( which I didn't) and quite easy to use.

I found a very rare file of Cradle Mountain photos I had taken back in 2016 and thought I had really lost these precious photos. Precious because it was snowing down in Cradle Mountain that year I went and there were photos of womats roaming freely in the snow. I selected 2 random photos from this series of photos one of Dove Lake's shoreline close up and one of the the boat shed on Dove Lake in the distance. I then totally destroyed and amalgated the 2 photos using Snapseed and the following was the result. I used 25 of the photo editing tools available on the Snapseed photo editing app. Yes it is meant to be blurry and look like there is a distinct line across the photo making it look as if it has been cut into 2 uneven sections  horizontally. If anyone saw my "Welcome To My Winter Wonderland" photo which was also edited but a little differently then you will be familiar with the below photos I have taken.



The original 2 photos looked like this :




I applied for yet more jobs as it edges closer to my 8 full weeks of unemployment and mutual obligation requirement. I still have not worked out what that means. Do I have to go to my local centrelink office or just report my job search online? It is all too complicated. I don't really want to have to attend my local Centrelink office as it was the most germ riddled place I had attended - you must wear a mask everyone is coughing sneezing and sniffling everywhere especially the officers thst serve you or have an interview with. I have not been in contact with anyone for 8 weeks now  and always wore a mask as soon as I left my apartment with hand sanitiser so should not have contracted the virus and if I had contracted it it would have been right at the beginning of the pandemic and well and truely out of my system by now.

Watching Masterchef yet again I fell asleep even when the guest judge was a pregnant Katy Perry. I don't know if I want to watch a catch up episode online tomorrow.

Friday 15th May 2020
I slept in just a little meaning 7 am and the first things I did was checked my emails and updated my blog as well as complete my fortnightly reporting ( mutual obligation does not start now until 22nd May) online to Centrelink in order to continue receiving welfare payments - no changes to report zero income still unemployed after 8 weeks and continuing to look almost daily for paid and unpaid employment. I lodged a follow up complaint to Centrelink as they are still not deducting tax from my fortnightly payments as requested right from the beginning which means I will end up with a huge tax bill  at the end of this financial year in June yet again!!! Why should Centrelink advertise that payments are taxable like any other income if they won't follow your instructions to deduct the amount of tax you had requested in writing!!!!! Complaint noted again in my diary as submitted. Have not received any responses from my previous complaints submitted to them.

Next breakfast a little bit of food tv
( avoiding the news again). No catchup on Masterchef episode from last night's episode. Someone posted an editing boo boo where the name of one of the dishes on Masterchef was spelt incorrectly - I had already said on Facebook previously that the editing of this year's Masterchef was really bad! It is really really bad! So many editing mistakes, I think people watching are equally as interested in the editing mistakes as much as the contestants, what they have cooked and the judges critique(s)!

Today is a slightly nicer day. No I was wrong -  same as yesterday - miserable like yesterday - overcast dark and looks as if it's going to rain again.

And it has bern announced that the Australian ski season is likely to go ahead on 1st July - a little late as our season is quite short usually starting in June over Queens birthday long weekend ending in September early October long weekend. I actualky emailed an enquiry to Murrays coachlines to book a day trip to Thredbo as soon as opening is confirmed. I want to be one of the first people to go to the snow. I would prefer to go to Lake mountain but interstate travel may not be approved by the government before then - and i also enquired about a job with murrays - I am trying to plan ahead.

I decided to venture outside first to put my rubbish into the dumpster then to do  hopefully a quick shop as I am down to my last piece of salmon - my trusty mask is on! The day had just become worse it is now lightly raining constantly - it could be worse such as a downpour , let's hope it stays a constant light misty rain and it's COLD!

First stop Woolworths - I have a problem and try to get out of the supermarket as quick as I can but an old Chinese woman pushes in front of me at the checkout registers. By now my eyrs are watering and I am having a bit of a wet coughing fit and my nose is running meaning an allergy to something in the supermarket. It could be just the wet weather but it seemed to subside as soon as I left and head to Coles the other supermarket in the Westfield building. I didn't find everything I needed on my list but managed to get some chicken salmon fruit and tissues at least. I will try and do another shop later next week possibly.

I walk back to the bus stop via the train station. On my way I saw the homeless lady who has made Chatswood Concourse her home. I am unsure how long she has been homeless around Chatswoid and I am unsure if she was the same eccentric homeless lady that used to bus hop around Sydney with her heavy suitcases all full of books. Probably not as this lady is not aggressive although she was shouting mumblings today as I passed her. I often see people buying her a meal and I have wanted to offer her foid in the past when I saw her but unfortunately I did not have any free hands as I was carrying bags and trolleys full of groceries. Today I was not carrying as many groceries so found an outdoor seat nearby to place my bags on and grabbed one of my bananas out of my grocery bag before walking over to her to ask her if she would like it. After accepting it she thanked me. I know she likes to eat fruit as I used to see her sitting inside Woolworths Metro with all her bags eating fruit and reading the newspapers scattered around. Gone are the days when the Woolworths Metro had a cafe with tables and chairs free wifi and power points to charge your electronic devices. It was always a popular spot to grab a bite to eat from their cafe or hot and cold grab bars after work while you charge your electronic devices, students to grab a bite to eat whilst doing their homework,  a convienent place to chill out and read a newspaper or repack your groceries properly into your reusuable shopping bags before heading home. This space is now occupied by self check out registers . Woolworth sure didn't have to worry about closing down a cafe and barricading off any seating areas during the Corona virus - they no longer had any.


















No comments:

Post a Comment