Saturday 18 February 2017

Friday 17th February 2017 - Just Landed Toronto Via Vancouver Airport

Finally back in Canada again after an intensive 3 weeks back at work in Sydney.



Trip # 2 I finally make it to the other side of Canada - yes that's right my first time to the Eastern Canada.

The plan journey between Sydney and Vancouver is always a smooth one - congrats to the retirement of the planes captain on his very last flight on this route!

Not without incident though - the guy sitting at the window seat in my row asks for a tea with extra milk and when he receives it spills it completely over himself - must be bad karma! His wet socks will be completely dry by the time he reaches Vancouver.

Call made out for medical assistance needed for ill passenger on board flight just about an hour or so before landing - plenty of doctors and nurses aboard fortunately to assist. They end up getting 2 doctors and a nurse. On landing at Vancouver airport medical assistance board the plane.

Then it is a mad dash to clear customs and head through the connecting flights gate through security clearance again - yes ditch that water you just purchased at the airport empty your pockets take off your shoes take out your laptops gels coats belts etc then repack them all and straight onto find the gate.

Flight AC 34 Sydney Vancouver Toronto gate C50 - it's the same plane so why do you have to clear customs- don't have to claim luggage any more though - if I had done this trip last year I would have had to then dragged it all the way through security again!

The lines for connecting flights and security clearance were huge and what a hell of a flight the Vancouver to Toronto is - overbooked and calls to volunteer carry on luggage to be checked in as the aircraft could not take all the carry on luggage.

My seat allocation was the same but unfortunately there was no room in the overhead lockers to take my carry on. Really there was more carry on on the plane then passengers!!!! I could see spare seats on the plane. Next time I will take the train from Vancouver to Toronto! I'd rather spend 4 days on a train then 4 hours on a plane!

After claiming my luggage - no sign of any oversized ski or snow boarding bags at this airport - I head to join the taxi queue.  What is the difference between a limo and a taxi? I head for the taxi queue. Bad choice - taxi had all windows up therefore no fresh air and the taxi driver kept coughing and spitting his phlegm into paper towels whilst driving - yuk! I'm definitely going to get sick now!

Overnighting at the HI Toronto - I packed  so much luggage!!!instead of orientating myself around the city of Toronto, I spend all my time repacking for my 1st  VIA train trip from Toronto Union Station to Ottawa tomorrow morning. No time to find the nearest supermarket . I spent quite a lot of time checking in at front desk - ensuring my 2 reservations were correct which weren't and that my Niagra Falls Day trip was booked. I had to keep apologising to other people waiting for service at the front desk as mistakes were corrected on my reservations. Such a small reception area.

Rating 6/10 - older style HI located in Toronto on Church Street bar restaurant in basement noise limited to ground floor and entrance to The Cavern. 4 share dorm rooms very small and ensuites even smaller ( capsule sized)  -  not recommended for people who can't stand confined spaces. Bunk beds very close together and very low head space on bottom bunks. No bathroom mat provided no free breakfast provided no free towels provided - byo everything.  No free tea or coffee either. Kitchen very small but very quite in rooms therefore can get a good nights sleep. No open windows or fresh air and heater noisey and turns on and off automatically in room. Tiled floors make rooms cold as they are not heated underneath. Location on Church Street 15 walk to Toronto Union Station.

(Photos attached my first night in Toronto - St James Church)










(Photos attached arrivals outside Toronto Airport from taxi stand)








1 comment:

  1. Well my flight was delayed at first and was cancelled a few hours later. It was such a nightmare and the worst part I had to wait a couple week to get compensated for flight claim.

    ReplyDelete