Friday 24 February 2017

Friday 24th February 2017 - VIA Toronto Union Station to Montreal Central Station

Another 5 hours on the train but this time I am travelling from Toronto Union Station to Montreal Central Station (Gare Centrale) business class with all my luggage I simply cannot travel economy ie 1 large bag upto 23 kg or 2 smaller bags and 1 personal item all of which are unchecked. Business class allows for 2 x 23 kg bags. I had 3 bags which came over with me all the way from Sydney and I couldn't exactly dump 2 of them.

The first incident is a power outage somewhere outside of Toronto - all trains in and out of Toronto are at a stand still as all signals were out. Total confusion at the station. Nobody knew how long the trains were delayed for - it could be half an hour or  1 day.

This is why I like to arrive early at airports and train stations. Travelling business class has its advantages - checked luggage . I check my large black suit case in to start - asked if I was getting off at Dorval or Montreal Central - not Dorval I am going all the way to downtown Montreal Gare Centrale. Had to make this clear as there was a passenger who arrived to collect his bags at Montreal Central only to find they had left the train at Dorval Station and because it was close to closing time ie 6.30 pm there was nothing he could do about it tonight. He was given a slip to asked to come back the next day or ring customer relations. Luckily my suitcase made it safely to Montreal Gare Centrale to collect at the baggage stand.

Another perk travelling business class is access to the business class lounge although with all the construction going on at Toronto Union Station it is a little inconvenient to get from to the departing platform. I purchased a VIA rail pin as a souvenier and collected a French magazine with Michael Buble on the cover to read. I was told that an announcement would be made when the train was ready to board but there was no announcement so a few other business class passengers travelling on train 064 to Montreal and I  started to head to platform 19 which was quite a walk away. We stopped off to find out more information about the delay but no one
could tell us anything and they gave us a customer relations slip with a contact number on it and advised me to go back to the business lounge and wait for further announcements.

I decided not to return as the others had not, instead headed towards platform 19. By the time I arrive there there was a very long queue of economy passengers waiting patiently to board the train.

The train was only delayed about 30 minutes maybe an hour at the most. As business class passengers we had priority boarding which is just as well as carriage 1 was a very long walk along the only partially covered platform after taking the escalator to the platform where the train was awaiting.

After passing each carriage of the train each with its own train/passenger attendant (similar to flight attendants) , it is time to climb up a set of steps onto carriage 1 on the train with your unchecked suitcases. So glad I didn't have to take my main suitcase which I had checked in on board - I was wondering how I was going to get that on board the train - all 23 kg of it! Still wondering why (after my first 2 train trips from Toronto to Ottawa) trains are not parallel and level to platforms. How do you get prams and wheelchairs or even walkers onto these trains? You would not want to have an injury preventing you from climbing up onto the train carriages - they are all the same regardless of whether you are travelling business, first or economy class.

Once on the train safely, I place my 2 small carry on bags onto the luggage racks located near the entrance to each carriage.
I then find and take my seat which was a Window one instead of an asile one in Business class. Next I look for the power point which is located under each Business class seat instead of a double power point located next to the window for each Economy class seat - a little incovenient if you have an asile seat in Economy.

I had plenty of room in my business class seat to stretch out as there was nobody sitting next to me for the entire 5 hour journey between Toronto and Montreal. This was great as I needed sleep and time to catch up on my blogs. I had my French magazine I took from the VIA Business class lounge with Michael Buble on the cover to read as well.

A meal service announcement is made so I inquired whether my special meal request was processed. Unfortunately it was not given the possible reason  due to the delayed service. Not really a valid excuse as I made my special meal request with my online booking weeks even months ago. I asked which meal selection was the most non lactose and was advised probably the salmon therefore I selected this meal when it was offered. Luckily this would have been my first choice of a meal if special meal requests were not offerred. This was the only cold meal option available but turned out to be very tasty. I selected the olive bread to accompany my meal and an orange juice instead of white or red wine. My orange juice was forgotten about until I reminded the attendant about it after I finished my meal. The smores biscuit which I believe was vegan was amazing and went well with a cup of tea. Then there was the little rasberry chocolate bar offered after the meal - a very nice touch. Must travel business class more often! (but not with seats next to emergency exits which also require additional safety responsibilities - which I volunteered with when I was in an Economy class aisle, seat between Toronto and Ottawa).

As the train travelled along the scenic 5 hour trip from Toronto to Montreal it became colder and the sight of more and more snow passed by. The cows in the paddocks didn't seem to mind the cold - well upto a certain point then there were no livestock or animals in sight.

Arrived at Gare Centrale Montreal an hour or so only behind schedule late afternoon/early evening, I was surprised at the platform upon arrival - although the station was deep below ground level, the narrow platform was level to all the train's business and economy class carriage entrances/exits! Then it was up the escalators or lift (yes a lift!) again to the main concourse of Gare Centrale - now to find the baggage counter (just in time as it was closing at 6.30 pm) to claim my suitcase. Got it!

I had no idea where I was so I just found the exit and taxi stand and waited for the next taxi. The attendant was so nice but unfortunately the taxi driver was so rude! He wasn't keen to take me to the hostel which was about 15 minutes away ie around the corner - hello! it is freezing cold new arrival to Montreal - loads of luggage - a bit of respect would have been nice - I gave the taxi driver a tip but should have given him nothing!

Arrived at the hostel on Rue Mckay  and checked in - no lift - room on 2nd floor - after settling in (well not quite)  I give my friend a call and we organise to meet at 7 pm and walk around the city " to get me orientated" . I wasn't keen as it was cold and I was tired after travelling the whole day but agreed to meet her at 7 pm. "No rest for the wicked" as they say.

She gave me a copy of the official tourist guide book and En Lumiere program book. Nuit Blanche had not been released yet in hard copy but I can pick one up later.

My friend walked me around the city and we stopped to look at a few of the Iluminart artworks which just started last night on 23rd Feb 17.

Back to the hostel around 9 or 9.30 pm although this is considered early in Montreal. My friend may not have been ready for bed yet but I was. I needed to plan for tomorrow and sleep.

End of night 1 in Montreal. So far so good.

My Business Class Meal Selection - Salmon with olive Bread




Inside the VIA Business Class Lounge at Toronto Union Station


















No comments:

Post a Comment