Monday 20 February 2017

Sunday 19th February 2017 - Gatineau Quebec Winterlude @ Jacques Cartier Park

Day 2 in Ottawa and I had not eaten therefore the very first thing I did after waking up and showering was finding out where the closest supermarket was. There was luckily a Tim Hortons just a few doors down and a Metro supermarket a few minutes walk away - I was starving realising the only thing I had to eat and drink was the CAN$7 turkey sandwich (not a bad sandwich by the way) purchased on the VIA train yesterday and 2 packs of tuna and biscuits some cold tea and a melted caramello koala. I was dying for some fruit at least.

The METRO SUPERMARKET had slices of non lactose cheese and turkey so I bought a 6 pack of bagels and some slaw and  tomato to have with it. I got a punnet if raspberries 3 bananas which were a little green and a granny smith apple and a coffee crisp chocolate bar as I wanted to try this Canada only sweet treat.

Back to the hostel and I premake all bagels for my entire stay. I pack my daily lunches into snap lock bags ready to take with me on my walking adventures around Ottawa.

Today and tomorrow were unplanned so I started off walking but followed the crowds Again I had no idea where I was going but ended up walking around the famous BYWARD MARKETS then onto PARLIAMENT HILL then over one of several bridges that connect Ottawa Ontario and Gatineau Quebec over the giant frozen lake.
Walking across the ALEXANDRA BRIDGE by following the crowds I ended up at venue # 3 of WINTERLUDE  JACQUES CARTIER PARK SNOWFLAKE KINGDOM .Wow is all I can say when I arrived - suddenly every street name sign shops etc was in French and more and more people were speaking French.

Some of the Winterlude activities at Jacques Cartier Park included zipline intro to skiing tabogganing dogsled rides the ice maze puppet shows the lounge on skis several different slides a tube park  giant snow sculptures instead of ice sculptures and of course Beavertails Poutine Maple Taffy and maybe a few non alcoholic drink stands selling coffee and other hot and cold beverages . Dressed inappropriately for the day's activities - it was very wet and slippery and I forgot my cleets and ski gear I only participated in one activity - the snow maze which wasn't  a - mazing at all!

There was lots of snow around for sure!

I headed back the same way I came but decided to stop off and have a look at the new CF Rideau Centre - it is quite big and I did get lost but I looked for the ZARA store - it was my landmark - if I find ZARA I can find my way out and back to the hostel.

Did not buy anything as shopping will be at the end of my trip - I am saving it all for MontrĂ©al.  I did manage to find  a Face Store (and found out the story behind what hapoened to the Fruits and Passion stores)

No Microsoft store there but there was an Apple store. Fido Rogers Virgin Bell etc all there.

Back to the hostel to catch up on sleep and photos - I think the jetlag has finally got to me but I was still up until midnight.

(Photos attached - apologies for double ups formatting is very difficult on blogspot)






















 






















































































No comments:

Post a Comment