Friday 24 February 2017

Thursday 23rd February 2017 - St Lawrence Markets and Ferry to Toronto Islands

After a very long day  yesterday travelling to Niagara Falls followed by the Art Gallery and then having to do a rather large stack of dirty laundry from my muddy Ottawa adventures finally getting to sleep with half of my washed laundry still wet at around 1.30 am, I treated myself to a sleep in and pancakes.

I could not work out why my pancakes kept sticking to the frypan - the pan was hot and there was plenty of oil in it so I settled for scrambled pieces of pancake with leftover berry jam a banana and some vanilla sugar.

To add to my disastrous breakfast - my CAN$5 bottle of non alcoholic grape juice I purchased from Niagara Wine Education Centre just would not open . I tried everything - asking a guy twice to help me open it and it just wouldn't, running the cap and bottle top under hot water which also had no effect and finally removing the entire cap's seal and plastic labelling entirely around the bottle before running the bottle top and cap under hot water again. Finally using a kitchen towel and using brute force, the bottle top finally unscrewed. It must have taken me an hour in total to open this single bottle of grape juice - no wonder it cost CAN$5!! Tasted very much like Grapetise from the local supermarket to me!

Next stop packing so I didnt have to do  it tomorrow and then off to find the nearest supermarket which happened to be very close on Front St to my first destination - St Lawerance Markets.

Had a quick look around thr markets but did not buy anything.  Then walked and found a rather large Loblaws and stopped off to have a look at the Joe Fresh store. Still wondering for the second time why Miranda Kerr is modelling for Joe Fresh a cheap line of clothing for women men and kids sold around Canada at chain store supermarkets as well as their own chain store boutiques.

Onto Wards Ferry Wharf.  The only ferry service operating during the Winter to the Toronto Islands which are car free islands  and where quite a few people live.

It was so hot today  I could have been back in Sydney - I had to stuff my puffer jacket into my back pack and tie my hoodie around my waist. I could have taken off another layer. Sunglasses were a must.

I took the 3.30 pm ferry from Wards Island Ferry terminal at Waterfront on the Toronto side and it was a quick ride to Wards Island - when I mean ferry it was more of a barge actually.  I always thought a ferry was a sea vessel that carried vehicles and passengers with passenger seating on board and a barge carried passengers and vehicles with no passenger seating on board. This was a walk on walk off type of sea vessel which carried vehicles as well but did have some covered passenger seating but most passengers preferred to stand as it was a fantastic photo opportunity with the view of Toronto city and CNN tower in the background.

A quick walk around the Island beach side and riverside. Saw some different coloured squirrels close up. Took some photos and headed back to Toronto on the 5 pm ferry. Straight back to Toronto HI. The Islands are a great city getaway so close yet it feels so far away. Next time I go I will have to get up earlier and spend an entire day exploring the islands.

End of day 3 in Toronto.

Last minute shop at Eaton Centre to UNI LQ. The store was tiny - the first one in Toronto to open whereas in Sydney there are many. Prices were the same as Sydney however add tax and it is actually more expensive then in Sydney.

Wanted to go to Chinatown in Toronto but no time and too far away to get there ie past the Art Gallery.

Packing and preparing to leave for Montréal tomorrow late morning on the VIA rail business class.

Oops forgot photos! Maybe later.


No comments:

Post a Comment