Monday 20 February 2017

Monday 20th February 2017 & Tuesday 21st February 2017 - Rideau Falls and Seeking Out The Location of The Prime Minister's House and Economy VIA train Ottawa to Toronto

Final full day in Ottawa and again no plans for today although I wanted to see where Justin Treadeau and his family live whilst in Ottawa. Well actually my Dutch roomies and I wanted to stalk him as a joke. They think he is good looking but I still don't. We looked up his calender the night before but today was a "personal" day for him - I thought he would have been around with his kids enjoying  family day Winterlude activities at Jacques Cartier Park - nope no sign of him or his family.

Again after a late breakfast I take a random walk since I loved my walks pass the Byward Markets I went to yesterday again but this time with a purpose - a sweet treat for the train trip back to Toronto tomorrow and a souvenir - I collect pins of my travels for Binkley my stuffed bear.

Success an Ottawa pin depicting Parliament Hill Rideau Canal and some other icon. Then onto a French patisserie which sold "Obama Cookies" - yep the official 2009 cookie sold to Obama on his visit to Ottawa. For CAN$6.95 you can buy the tin to hold your Obama cookie - Obama cookie not included that was another CAN$3.95. Did I buy one - no I bought an almond and chocolate croissant and a gingerbread Canada cookie instead - not keen on the maple leaf shaped icing covered vanilla Obama cookie. I prefer my cookies dark not white.

Next stop Sussex Promenade past the Art Gallery the Mint and to find Rideau Falls then maybe onto to stalk Prime Minister Tredeau's place of residency! Hey after all Ottawa is Canada's capital!

It took me a while to find Rideau Falls and when I thought I had found it there were actually 2 falls - a smaller one followed by the larger one. Walking over the small fall's bridge you are sprayed by a fine mist of water from the falls below but the view of the fall is limited. Walk further along and the second larger fall has a much more magnificent view. The sound of crashing water indescribable. A preview of what to expect at Niagara Falls . The bridges the frozen lake and the water flowing into melting mounds of snow below. Only photos can describe what is seen. Est tres magnifique - in poor French.

After spending quite a few hours st Rideau Falls I walked further along the main street
and a photo echibition was on at the small exhibition centre with a look out platform towards Rideau Falls therefore stopped to have a quick look at the exhibition. It was some sort of Canada US relations celebration exhibition.

On past the French Embassy and right next door Prime Minister Tredeau's residence whilst in Ottawa - "the lodge" - that is not what it is called by the way. There were hidden cameras and a security guard but very low key.

No absolutely sign of him.

I continued walking passed a few round abouts and into a forest area - looked on my map and had gone far enough time to turn back and head back to downtown Ottawa.

One more time over the Alexandra Bridge and into "Francais land" .

End of my final day in Ottawa.

Back to the Barefoot Hostel to pack for tomorrow's VIA rail Economy class trip from Ottawa back to Toronto.

Completely enjoyed my time there although I would have liked to have skated on better conditions and more on the Rideau Canal.

Rating : 9/10 because Ottawa bis avery quiet beautiful clean and efficient city. Must visit again.

Photos attached











































No comments:

Post a Comment