Saturday 30 December 2017

30th December 2017 - Granville Island Day 3 in Vancouver

Why am I still so jetlagged?

I had a good night sleep although I was up until 11 pm on night 2 in Vancouver.

After 2 days of cold and heavy rain - the sun came out and my head kept telling me throughout my sleep to head to Granville Island today so I did.

Map of Granville Island

I had a bit of a sleep in after saving some breakfast. Woke up and the sun was blarring outside. Get up I told myself then gad a shower and packed my back pack. I purchased  return ferry departing from the False Creek Ferry Wharf located at the bottom of Thurlow Street near the Aquatic Centre. I purchased my tickets for the ferry from the HI's front desk which is cheaper then purchasing them on board for CAN$5 cash. It is a really quick ferry ride to the wharf on Granville Island.

First stop after alighting the ferry was to find food as I had skipped breakfast between 8 am and 9.45 am daily to go back to sleep.

I visited the public markets on the island before taking a walk around it. I visited many of the original landmarks on the island I visited in the first few years I visited Vancouver.

Photos attached


The old Granville Island railway station which is no longer in use. Last open to transport passengers to Granville Island was during the Vancouver Winter Olympics year - 2010. 

Public transit to get to Granville Island #50 bus














The views of the harbour around Granville Island are amazing on a beautiful Winter's day via a board walk either by bike or on foot. If you are lucky you may even catch a glimpse of the resident seal family who like to pop up when it's feeding time - fisherman and boat owners would throw salmon off cuts or other pieces of seafood and the seals would appear to be hand fed by them.


Under the bridge is the main traffic and pedestrian entrance to Granville Island. The island was a traffic jam of cars and people today!


Kids have their own dedicated buildings on Granville island complete with an kndoor adventure playground, mjniture washrooms ,  a stroller friendly lift and heaps of shops stocking kids' toys, clothes, shoes etc. - this building not to be mistaken for another colourful building for the adults named "The Crystal Ark" nearby on Granville Island


Besides the Island being home to the Emily Carr University - a university dedicated to the Arts, Granville Island is also home to a wide variety of fine arts and performing arts studios, theatres and workshops. The above Waterfront Threatre which which had a current performance of The Lion The Witch & The Wardrobe performing was just one of many.
















Back to the hostel to unload my purchases and cook dinner. What's for dinner - a nice hot thai turkey and vegetable soup with all the vegetables I purchased yesterday and today. Smells so good was a comnent from one of the guys making a pasta in the kitchen. Tasted even better with a buttered toasted bagel I kept from breakfast this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment