Tuesday 5 December 2017

Monday 4th December 2017 - Aussie Food Icons

Today was not another do nothing day but a catch up day - after checking my mail box for my pencil tree necklace I had made up for me from my trip to the makers market at Bacchus Marsh a few weeks ago -  to grocery shopping and other errands, I headed for the city.

Whilst in the city the first sections of the completed light rail tracks along George Street were now opened up to pedestrians and shopkeepers again. I took this opportunity to take a few photos of what the future light rail tracks along George Street in front of the QBV would look like when completed. Photos attached


Then I was hungry and was thinking of what I could purchase as a quick snack.
I decided to go to Woolworths Town Hall on the lower ground floor to grab a snack from the hot food section -  fried chicken drumettes or wings no - battered fish cocktails no - potato wedges no -  hot chips no - pies no - deep fried dim sims no - chiko roll - yes why not, I haven't had one of these since probably junior or high school. Were they the same? At $2.50 it was cheaper then a small serving of hot chips or wedges. However we used to hear all sorts of rumors of what was actually in a chiko roll - snot,  offal etc etc. Sound yuk for an Australian food icon? It is up there with the Australian meat pie and you probably don't want to hear what is maybe in those - if it was green (and I don't mean vegetable greens such as peas) don't eat it.

Back to the Chiko roll - basically it is a mutation of the Chinese spring or egg roll. The pastry is chewy and deep fried - battery and doughy. A chiko roll doesn't actually contain chicken but meat of some sort cabbage and other mushy vegetables such as carrots with some spices.

Photo attached - so what do you think? An Australian icon must try.










No comments:

Post a Comment