Sunday 31 December 2017

31st December 2017 - Happy New Year - Well Not Quite Where I am!

For most of the world it is now 2018 but for me there is another 11 hours or so at the time of writing this blog until I can ring in the new year. It is still 2017.

Feels a little strange coming from one of the first countries to ring in the new year to one of the last!

Onto my adventures for today.

Day 4 in Vancouver

Another beautiful day and I slept in again and did not have breakfast.

First stop after a shower is take the Canada line from Yaletown Station to Aberdeen to drop off my Christmas presents to my relatives place. Arrived and they are not home which is good so I leave them outside their door in a plastic bag. Hope no one takes them!

Straight back on the Canada line to Richmond to catch a bus to Steveston Fishing Village. - unsure which bus to catch. Some people are telling me on the other side of the road others on this side of the road at Richmond Station. I end up crossing the road several times missing so many buses to get me there. I finally ask a bus driver which is the quickest or most frequent way to get me to Steveston Village -  bus 410 on the opposite side of Richmond Station. Just missed one as I crossed the road but another came in 5 minutes. This time I asked the bus driver again as I boarded the bus. So confusing - Railway means Steveston Village however there is a railway Ave enroute as well - don't get off at the incorrect stop!

Arrive at Steveston Village and have no idea where I am but find my way to the Gulf of Georgia Cannery - not to see the cannery but to purchase the Salmon tin money boxes I collect. Just as well as the Cannery actually closed for the day at 2 pm and I arrive about 15 minutes before it actually closed.

After my visit to the Cannery I walked down to the fishermans Wharf where alk the boats dock to sell their caught products - whole fish octapus prawns even salmon roe and caviar.  Not today though- I will have to leave my purchase of prawns off the boat for another time - besides they were frozen today and the fisherman were trying hard toflog off the last few buckets of seafood.

Next was a walk along the boardwalk along the foreshore to the end before turning back and catching the nearest bus back to Richmond and taking the sky train back to Vancouver downtown. I took the 402 bus instead of the 410 bud. It stopped a little further from the sky train station at Richmond but not too far to walk to.

Along my walk I took so many photos of swans ducks and the marsh areas. The old 1880's boat sheds and shipworks were also interesting to visit. Many of the building had previoulsy not been open to the public until recently.

Photos to be attached.

View from inside the old boat shed where one of the resident swans likes to swim in and out of.

The marsh area outside the old boat shed - ducks reeds and boats in the background at sunset

This is why Steveston Village is called "Railway". The now disused railway lines are still visible along some of the main streets in Steveston Village with a permanently housed old locomotive train on display to the public within a park.


My favourite photos of the marsh area near the old boat shed at sunset.

The Chinese Bunk House located right at the end of the boardwalk 

Several of these little cottages from the fishing village along the board walk are now open to the public.



A few photos of the interior of one of these cottages in the fishing village along the board walk. 

The seagulls here are the size of chickens - well fed not from the locals dropping their food but from the fruits of the harbour they catch.

Back to the hostel for some dinner and a change of warmer clothes for tonights NYE fireworks at 9 pm and midnight. Going alone for the first time.
I don't think I will do the midnight movie this new years eve as there is nothing interesting worth seeing.

I have 3 new roomates who are all only staying for the night.

Past 8 pm now. I better make a move for the 9 pm fireworks. My phone is still only charged to 78% and it has taken hours.

9 pm kiddies fireworks are now over
Full video of unedited 5 minute fireworks display has already been uploaded onto Youtube.

Finally the midnight fireworks are over and it is now 2018 in Vancouver. The fireworks were 15 minutes long - I can't believe I sat in the cold for 3 hours just to watch the midnight fireworks. I did not want to lose my viewing spot from watching tge 9 pm fureworks so a couple sitting next to me from Japan did the same thing.  We did everything to keep ourselves warm such as using pieces of clothing as a temporary blanket to keep our legs warm - I used a spare scarf I had packed and spare set of mittens as toe warmers in my boots for extra warmth - neither worked still freezing cold - so cold my feet were numb!

Were the midnight 15 minute fireworks worth the wait? No - I started videoing the fireworks but in the middle it became a big mess of coloured smoke so stopped videoing for a while then continued to video the rest of the midnight fireworks after the fireworks became "coherent" again.

Photos of midnight fireworks attached. Also refer video uploaded onto You Tube. Apologies problem uploading You Tube video several failed upload attempts.









No comments:

Post a Comment