Wednesday 16 May 2018

Wednesday 16th May 2018 - It Really Is A Small World Where I Work

This photo has nothing to do with this post but these were the cupcakes that I made with some of the original bake and serve cupcake papers from my current place of employment. I gave some to the fashion designer from LJW and she made some cupcakes too and bought them into work for morning tea. Hers were made from scratch mine was from packet mix (I don't  usually use instant cake mix)  - it was a test to see if a grease line would appear using both home made or packet  cake mix. So thre is a tiny connection between my story and the above photo.

When I was originally based in the Eastern suburbs and worked at the Bondi store, I met every man and his dog from my past there - from old classmates in high school from the private girls school I attended, to past employers now retired, to past college friends from my Applied Science days at SIT @ the Ultimo campus. I grew up in the Eastern suburbs and even worked there for a great portion of my life - it sounds like I am making myself sound so old.

When I relocated to the Northern suburbs I did not know anyone and did not expect to bump into anyone from my past but I did.

I think I previously wrote about my work collegue who also grew up in the Eastern suburbs and went to the private girls school next door to mine and finding out one of her distant relatives was a friend of mine and attended the same private girls school as my sister and I.

Then there was Miguel or was it Manuel? Whatever his name was he was in the area on a job and he was the one who remember who I was and from where - apparently he never forgets a face although he may not be able to put a name to a face. I know who he was - CYL Dragon Boat rowing team - gee that was about 20 + years ago! Now I am making myself sound old! I was good to see him. Still had the big guns! Looking good for his age.

Today a lady carrying her baby walked in and asked about our knife sharpening service - I was standing at the counter and she recognised me straight away. I recognised her as well. I actually thought the baby she was carrying was her first child a son but it was actually her second child - a daughter. She was a fashion designer for a company I worked for (known as LJW) - yes one of the many scandalous companies I previously worked for, which was run by a high profile celebrity couple who lived a glitzy lifestyle, that ran into financial troubles, ended up on the back gossip pages of the Sydney Morning Herald (newspaper), putting their company into administration and owing a large sum of money to unsecured and secured creditors including the ATO then fleeing the country (Australia) to start a new life and "rise like a Phoenix" business in Bali. True story. Now this fashion designer no longer works in fashion but does bespoke illustrating with the occasional fashion joint venture with Myer although I mentioned to her that she should be designing childrens wearing like another German fashion designer I used to work with who has been quite successful designing and selling high end children's tutu dresses and accessories.

Small world indeed! Such a busy day at work - so much prep to do for the company's annual stocktake next Monday - I managed to get out of it yet again this year! (although I almost got dragged into it today by the manager!)


No comments:

Post a Comment