Friday 11 October 2019

Saturday 12th October 2019 - Paddys Market Flemington

Today I had planned to catch the 7 am Murrays Coach Express Service from Sydney Central to Jolimont Centre Canberra arriving at 10.30 am however that service was fully booked out with no seats available. I did not quite make it for the next hourly service at 8 am but decided to try and possibly get on at the very last minute on the 9 am service. I arrived at Central at 8.50 am and walked into the Murrays Coach office to inquire if there were any seats left. There were 5 or less seats left at 8 am this morning for the 9 am service however there was only 1 seat left by the time I arrived. It would get me to Canberra by 12.30 pm however according to Google maps it is still a 22 min walk to Floriade at Commonwealth Park from Jolimont Centre. I therefore decided not to go this year to Floriade which ends tomorrow. I was disappointed that I could not make it to Nightfest at Floriade this year so will have to make an extra effort next year to attend. I could still go tomorrow morning for the day but I also want to spend time at The Questacon to see the Robotics exhibition in addition to seeing Floriade so it would be better if I could have overnighted in Canberra rather then rush to see it. Questacon can be done on another day but too bad for missing Floriade this year.

I plan to go to Elizabeth Farm tomorrow for the annual Spring Festival. I could skip it and do 2 days in Canberra instead but it would not be a tax deduction and my visit to Elizabeth Farm is because it is related to cooking and kitchen/homewares with talks workshops such as how a table is set and folding napkins and cooking demonstrations.

TBA about what I decide to do tomorrow.

Today there was trackwork again this time on the inner west line. It did not affect where I went today - another first time visit to Paddys Market Flemington or Sydney Markets Flemington or is it just known as Flemington Markets? Whatever it is called I spent a few hours at least out there and spent about $50 worth of fresh fruit amd vegetables. For my $50 I purchased some Jackfruit, a Yambin, a large bunch of dill, multiple bunches of garlic chives, a large bunch of corriander, a bunch of shallots, a bunch of celery ( looks more like Chinese celery but I was told it was not), fresh almonds, okra, 2 yellow kiwi fruits, broad beans, 3 onions, 2 green mangos, 2 bunches of  bananas, a plantain, a large bunch of purple kale, 2 punnets of strawberries and 2 punnets of large blueberries I think that is all.

My favourite fruits and vegetables are probably the fresh jackfruit, the yambin, garlic chives, large blueberries, yellow kiwifruit and the broad beans.

There were some vegetables which I could not identify so I took photos of  them in the event someone reading my blog out there maybe able to identify for me.

Fresh almonds ( I bought I tried not the tastiest thing to nibble on) & broad beans

Fresh yellow dates


Walnuts & Pecans - yes they are different types of nuts!


Sapphire grapes - my favourite type of grapes which I like more then Black Beauties but not these ones they are from the USA

What type of pears are these? Red Barlett or Red Anjou?



So many varieties of potatos!

White beans?

Dragon fruit - but are they red or white on the inside?

Broad beans my favourite type of bean!

Okra and baby taro


Green onions, beetroot, kale & korabi( have I spelt it correctly?)

I am unsure what this green vegetable is next to the green onion but I'm sure it is good for you!


Purple kale in the background

Australian green mangos and yes they were sweet!

Donut peaches

Another one of my favourite fruits - Jackfruit not to be confused with Durian! Jackfruit has less spiky skin and a very distinctive sweet smell.

Bitter melons I won't touch these! They are exactly as described!

Monkey bananas? They call them Little gem bananas.

Different types of mini taro

OK another one of my favourite root vegetables - Australian grown they are called Yambins although I could not find anything on them when I Googled them - maybe I have misspelt it? They are like nashi fruit/pears or water chestnuts in texture but not flavour. 

Plantain - starchy not like a banana at all

Milk fruit - new to me unless it is called something else.

Indian plum - have seen these but never tasted one - reminds me of the NZ yams except larger in size.



Pumkins for Halloween and watermelons

I really need help with this one! Not a clue what thos vegetable is

Chokos - yuk the one vegetable I will not touch!

Whast type of bean is this again - they are not snow peas by the way. 

I don't think these are Sumo mandarins as tgey don't have the extra bump at the top

Durian not to be confused with Jackfruit - this fruit is described as " Tastes like Heaven Smells like Hell!" Hint their skin is much more spiky then a Jackfruit's skin

Bulk fruit & Veg for purchase at the markets


It is quite a hike to get out to Flemington Markets and I had no idea where the nearest station to the markets was or how to get there by public transport. I assumed Flemington Station was the closest station however there is a free mini shuttle bus that only operates an hourly service between 9 am and 2 pm in a loop in one direction only between Sydney Markets Plaza and stops at Alburn Lidcombe  Flemington Homebush and 2 stops in Strathfield back to Sydney Market Plaza. This is great and very popular amongst the non English speaking community living around that area going to the markets however returning back to Strathfield from the markets is a nightmare as the shuttle is full not just of passengers but every passenger has at least 1 full shopping trolley bag full of purchased they load onto the shuttle bus filling every inch of spare space available on the shuttle bus! I was wondering how anyone was going to get off at each of the shuttle stops along the shuttle bus route. Most passengers got off at Auburn then Lidcombe. Passengers boarded the shuttle bus at Flemington Homebush and Strathfield rather then alighting.






Waiting for the free shuttle bus outside the Market Plaza to go home - note all the overfilled shopping trolleys and stacked up cartons full of fruit and vegetables to be loaded onto the mini bus!

This is what some market stalls look like if you arrive too late!

The markets has a good seafood section right at the back end of the markets and a small poultry stall. Plenty of fresh eggs available throughout the markets though.






Note the times on the above 2 photographs taken. An indication of how busy the markets became - markets are open between 6 am and 2 pm on a Saturday.


Because it was my first time catching the shuttle after taking the train out to the markets I just used trip planner and alighted not at Flemington but at Strathfield giving me time to find when the shuttle bus stopped and enough time to find where the shuttle bus stop was located. I rang Sydney Markets to ensure the shuttle bus was still operating to Strathfield today as the bus stops outside Handmade Noodles was taken up by train replacement buses. The bus stopped just across from it - there was a bunch of other non English speaking people also heading with their empty trolleys to the Markets so I was not waiting for the shuttle bus alone - it is obvious they do this pilgrimage every weekend! The train arrived at Strathfield station at around 9.15 am and the shuttle bus arrived outside of Handmade Noodles on the Southside of Strathfield Station scheduled around 9.40 am. I was at the markets by 10 am. The markets close at 2 pm on Saturdays but open around 8 am. The earlier you arrive the better the quality of produce available.

I left around noon but it took forever to reach Strathfield Station due to the amount of time to load and unload shopping trolleys, traffic and the shuttle bus only travelling in one direction where Strathfield is the very last stop before the markets. Finally arrived at Strathfield Station by 2.30 pm and I was lucky to get a direct train back to Chatswood. Straight home from Chatswood by bus.

Rating 8/10 - Great morning out - Tip there are always long queues for the 3 ATMs just opposite the Market Plaza area therefore I recommend withdrawing cash before you get to Flemington Markets.




No comments:

Post a Comment