Thursday 10 August 2017

Thursday 10th August 2017 - Massive Lates @ The Powerhouse Museum


As part of the Sydney Science Festival running between the 8th and 20th August , the Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences (The Powerhouse Museum) at Ultimo, hosted Massive Lates - an after hours free entry adults only 18+ to the museum between 7 pm and 10 pm tonight.

Most of the museum was open for tonight's event on levels 1, 2 & 3. Happy hour included live music and drinks was on level 1.

Program summary below with photos attached and Youtube video uploaded






So much to see in 3 hours including the following :

1. Solve Sydney's Largest Interactive Mystery In The International Exhibition Of Sherlock Holmes on level 3  This was a ticketed activity which I did not go to however tickets were 20% off tonight only for sale at counter on level 3.

2. Stargaze On The Forecourt With Sydney Observatory Astronomers And Telescopes (Weather Permitting) . I really wanted to do this activity at the end of my visit on my way out but there was a very long queue and only 1 telescope operating by the time I exited the museum.


3. Test Your Bluffing Skills With A Game of Scientific Baulderdash. 3 games throughout the evening in the MAAS cafe on level 3.

4. Be The First To See The Brand New This Is A Voice Exhibition. On level 2 this was an interesting and inteteactive exhibition although I don't think the sound booth where you could record your voice was actually working very well. Loved the short video entilted "EMILY" though. Not enough time to try all interactive displays.






5. Speed Meet A Scientist Or Meet Some Of Australia's Favourite Animals With Taronga Zoomobile. I saw the Scientist but no animals on level 2.

6. Escape into Virtual Reality in The Lab on level 2. My favourite activities of the night. No time to join the queue to step into the interactive vitual reality world but I did play a lot with the interactive touch screens to create or change a number of images with sound and visuals displays on large screens.


















7. Experience ASMR, The Head Tingling Sensation Taking Over Youtube. Originally only 3 demonstrations held in groups inside the Kings Theatre on level 2. I had no idea what this was and there were always queues for all sessions held. These sessions ended up being held every 15 minutes. Total waste of time for me which was an opportunity lost in 30 minutes to see or do other activities or displays. I queued up and sat in one of the seats in the second row. It was the first non full house session of the night. A man stood at the microphone and just spoke and explained what ASMR was. I just didn't get it - a group hypnosis session? It was suppose to be a group relaxation session however I didn't feel relaxed nor did I experience the tingling sensation explained - close your eyes you are getting sleepy sink deeper into your seat relax concentrate on your breathing etc etc .....I didn't even feel sleepy. Please explain!? By the way only 5% of people experience this so called tingling sensation!





8. Comedians Talking Over Movies In Partnership With Golden Age Cinema Sherlock Holmes And The Secret Code on level 2 - I had a look at this online but did not look into it at the museum at the night.

9.  Drive A Mars Rover Across The Museum's Mars Yard on level 1 - I watched this but did not go to Mars.

Oops sorry I lost these photos I took.

10. Hear Kusum Normoyle Explore Volume To Celebrate The Arrival Of This Is A Voice on level 1 (also happy hours drinks)



Rating 8/10 - another first time event I attended as I can never get to the venue straight after work in time (massive lates are usually on from 6 pm - 9 pm), this event was an exception starting later. Lots of fun activities to participate in and some not so fun. Watching adults play with duplo and perodic table scrabble after a few drinks was interesting. Not enough time to for everything. Too much queuing for activities. Would have loved to have participated in science bolderdash if more time and with someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment