Friday 27 July 2018

Friday 27th July 2018 - Not So Royal Lemon & Elderflower Cake

I don't get it - what was so special about this lemon and elderflower cake the Royals served at their wedding recently?

One of the staff members at JJ's cafe at St Ives Shopping Village found the recipe online and decided to make and sell it. Everyone that ate at the cafe was talking about it so my manager and I wanted to try it.

Fridays are traditionally our coffee and cake or biscuit day and today we had planned to purchase  a piece to try. My manager wanted it for breakfast but I originally bailed and decided I didn't want to try it anymore preferring my dark chocolate non diary and egg free mousse made from avocados vanilla cocoao powder coconut cream maple syrup and melted 70 % dark chocolate with a ripple of rasberry vinegar syrup I had made and bought with me to eat at work.

Later I changed my mind and purchased not 1 but 2 pieces - the first piece to share with my manager, one of my work collegues and myself and the other piece for my other work collegue as a birthday present to her.

Rating 3/10. Extremely disappointed! If I wanted a fake butter cake with a coconut texture filled and topped with mock cream made from solite and titanium dioxide garnished with a purple flower of some sort I would have asked for it. Tasteless - not even a hint of elderflower or lemon in the cake - in fact not even a vanilla cake. The mock cream was so white it didn't even look like cardamom cream. The cake left a strange after feeling and taste in my mouth possibly from the use of a substitute oil instead of butter which one of my work collegues pointed out as a possible cause.  Sorry JJ' s Cafe your food always looks so great when people are eating it but this cake was an epic fail. Why are you selling it for $6.50 a slice with no staff discount even given - never again will I eat your desserts. My other work collegue even pointed out " hey that cake you purchased looks like the picture of the cake on the cake platter box" - nothing like it! The cake on the box looked much more appetizing and probably wasn't even made by a professional chef!

My manager could not taste the lemon or elderflower in the cake either and agreed it was basically a vanilla cake.

I ended up giving the left over cut up pieces of this cake to Kate who works at Woolworths. Did not ask her what she thought of it though - far too busy.

photos below

Post Scrpt : Someone else received a piece of this cake and rated it a 5/10

Onto something more appetizing courtesy of The Delihub also at St Ives Shopping Village. An example of their catering service  for tonight's Art Society gathering using the long Somerset boards from the company I work for . Simply beautiful!

photos below

Imagine sampling a ploughman's lunch from one of these long boards - cold cut meats, sliced cheeses, dried fruits and vegetables, crackers, dips etc..... 

Yes these are the actual size of the 2 very long boards showcasing what looks like every product the deli has to offer! The boards are so long they take up the entire glass counter display tops!




No comments:

Post a Comment