Saturday 18 August 2018

Sunday 19th August 2018 - Sweet Expo & Sydney Vegan Markets @ EQ

The day has finally arrived to attend the Sweet Expo 2018 at its new venue The Hall of Industries @ EQ.

I haven't check the feedback yet on how it went on its first day and I hope the $21 I paid as an entry fee is worth it.

Will report back later. New crowd new venue.

Still no exhibitors list on website so obviously they haven't listened to feedback from last years show and no floor plan. Tickets are now $24 earlybird adult ticket with sales ending in about half an hour ie looks like when the show opens at 9 am this morning- after that it increases to $29 for a general admission adult ticket.

I think I may have jumped the gun in a previous blog of mine when I mentioned Cake Decorating Solutions was an exhibitor at this show. There is no mention of them on the Sweet Expo website when I looked this morning. Post Script : they were present along with The Red Spoon.

It is now 8.30 am and I really don't want to go but it is a really nice sunny day today so I will force myself to get up and go. There is no mention of what time the show opens or closes so I assume 9 am to about 4 pm.

Stay tuned......


Such a hike to get to EQ. First the the M40 bus to Bondi Junction interchange (which was running late) then a run to the bus stand opposite and straight onto the 355 bus with not a minute to spare to EQ. If I missed that bus it would have to be a 30 minute walk or taxi. The 355 does not run very often about every hour or so on weekends.

I finally arrived at EQ around 11.45 am and l left the Sweet Expo around 2.30 pm. By 2 pm quite a few products had sold out completely. So I could not get any of the items I wanted such as  double tipped black edible marker, flavoured pop corn, mini squeeze bottles etc.

Most of my time was watching the free demonstrations on how to decorate cookies with royal icing, how to ganache a cake or how to use an airbrush without much effort artisticaly. As well as taking photos of the expo.

I only spent $18 on rosemary, gingerbread and chocolate flavoured CRACKLE pop corn. I wanted to purchase 4 packs of flavoured popcorn for $20  but stuck with 3 packets for $6 a packet as there was no 4th flavour available. No cakes or biscuits purchased as most contained loads of dairy products. There was only 1 chocolate stand selling rather expensive bespoke chocolate bars for $16  a block. I love a Golden Gaytime but not for $26 a pop!

These were the only 3 flavours available on Sunday. All other flavours which included the salted caramel were completely sold out. I ate the entire packet of chocolate/caramel pop corn and my work collegues devoured the entire packets of rosemary/caramel and gingerbread/caramel pop corn!





Same old food trucks such as Pimp My Chimney , German Sausages and Stroop Bros. with long queues so I did not bother to queue up.






Interesting stands included the flavoured candle and bath bomb stand. Burn them but don't eat them - so realistic in smell and look.

see below near bottom of blog for photos

Apologies having trouble uploading photos again of the Sydney Vegan Markets try again later to upload.










Sydney Vegan Markets @ EQ everything from yummy food ( almost sold out by the time I arrived) to compost bins, vegan desserts, reusable straws, compost bins, reusable bags , organic produce to drink bottles could be found 






Although I got a re entry stamp into the expo I didn't return instead spent a little less than an hour at the Sydney Vegan Markets held once a month at EQ according to the signage. So many people and such a variety of food attracting long queues of people. Again although starving I could not be bothered queing up for what was left as the majority of hot vegan food was sold out. Plenty of drinks still available. I took some photos and walked around EQ to find the Off Piste Experience ( refer my previous blog on BBR Festival). Found it and there was the mother of all ski/snowboard simulators proudly on display in one of the windows. No one was on it though, everyone was trying out the baby ones.







 Off Piste Experience @ EQ


By 3.40 pm it was back on the 355 bus back to Bondi Junction. Following a quick detour to Gomez for a mini spicy chicken burrito - so hungry - before hopping on the M40 home bound. Plenty of time to finish my blog of today.

Sweet Expo 2018 @ EQ rating : 5/10. Not too crowded but the venue is too large for the expo. Running out of stock not good as well as long queues. Need a floor plan and proper exhibitors list. Entry fee of $14.50 would have justified going to the expo but not $21 or worse $29 at the door.

photos attached






The Venue Exterior of Hall of Industries










The Venue Interior of Hall of Industries lots of empty space







High Tea Anyone?












Airbrush demonstration



Chocolate ganache cake demonstration






Decorating cookies with royal icing







Adriano Zumbo & his stall




Baking products # 1 - silicon moulds

Apologies there are so many more photos I am trying to upload but blogger seems to always have a problem uploading photos and forget about including links or video to my blog it just can't do it. When I have a little more time I must find an alternative blogging platform - One that actually works!!!





Products for purchase silicon moulds chocolate for drip cakes cookie cutters in almost every shape available cake toppers fondant butter cream coloured gels pastes powders and various other cake decorating tools etc......

Some live entertainment








Floral arranging workshop perhaps ? - spot the fake from the real flowers @ the expo













Candles that smell and look so real they make you want to eat them but please don't  if you decide to purchase one  - anything from a stein of beer to a chocolate sundae candle is on offer







































No comments:

Post a Comment