Wednesday 8 June 2016

Monday 6th June 2016 and Tuesday 7th June 2016 - Sydney take note - this is what an ice skating rink should look like, Return trip on the overnight circa 1980's XPT train Melbourne to Sydney and back to work for opening of new store

Overnight at Melbourne YHA and a shower before checking out, storing my luggage and breakfast , I then headed straight off to the O'brien Group Ice Skating Rink which is also the Winter Institute of Training at Docklands by tram to pick up my 2 pairs of sharpened figure skates and a skating session on the rink to test my skates out and work off my previous 2 days of gluttony.

There is no restriction on public ice skating sessions at this rink its $21 flat rate without skate hire all day - something which is unavailable at ice rinks in Sydney which is limited to 2 hour sessions costing around the same price without skate hire and with limited and outdated facilities onsite particularly at Macquarie where I skate back in Sydney - there has been talk of an upgrade to the rink for at least a decade still to be seen.

I skated on the Bradley Rink for about 2 - 3 hours in total alternating between my 2 pairs of newly sharpened ice skates. My newer pair of Jacksons were perfect but I was having a lot of trouble skating on my older pair of Jacksons which would not grip the ice therefore returned them to be re sharpened deeper on the spot at the on site pro shop. I then had to wait and test them out on the ice again. They were better but a little too deep now - I am hoping the blades will blunt over time. They will remain my backup ice skates . I will continue to skate on my newer pair of Jacksons.

I took a few photos of the rink and its' facilities ( refer my facebook - Sydney  - This is what a real ice skating rink should look like! )

After my skate session ( you know when it is time to leave the ice rink - hoards of school students invade the ice) I returned to Melbourne YHA to retrieve my luggage, have lunch, catch up on my blogging and try to start my online coding course which just started today. Didn't get far before having to leave for the overnight XPT train from Melbourne back to Sydney that night.

Departing Melbourne's Southern Cross Station around 8 pm on Monday night and arriving back in Sydney the following morning at around 7.30 am, it is potluck who you get to sit next to in Economy class. On my trip from Sydney to Melbourne I had an aisle seat because of my injured leg but the young lady I sat next to in Economy was getting off at Wagga therefore I asked if she would like to swap seats with me so she didn't have to climb over me in the middle of the night when she reach her destination and wake me from my sleep. I fell asleep and woke up to find she had gone. Some people are just lucky and have an empty seat next to them the entire trip. I  don't think I have ever had that privilege. Even after the young lady left I had someone else fill her seat for the rest of the trip to Melbourne.

I had an older gentleman sit next to me on my Melbourne to Sydney trip - all the way.
He turned out to be quite interesting to talk to but I was more concerned about the older gentleman sitting on the other side of me coughing splattering and snorting - yuk! and very annoying throughout the trip before he got off at his destination in the middle of the night. I hope I don't catch something - I have already had to put up with my roommate doing the same thing!

The older gentleman who was sitting next to me travelling all the way from Melbourne to Sydney will probably have a laugh at this blog I am writing as he was interested in reading it - I had to warn him though that some of my blog posts are quite sad in consideration of his own personal circumstances.

Yes -  I played the guess my age game with him. I can't believe that he thought I was still in my 20's - everyone guesses I'm 30 which is a more reasonable guess but they are all wrong! What a shock when they find out how old I really am! So old age jokes - totally unoffended by them!

What's with men always taking pieces of clothing off  in front of me in a public place? By the way taking a top off is fine, at least this time it wasn't a pair of trousers!

I hope the ginger candy I gave him helps him out - concerned about motion sickness on the train and upchucking - I apologise for not swaping my asisle seat with him. My injured right leg can only stand so much time in a cramped position. No upchucking incident during the entire trip therefore nothing to worry about - the garbage bag in the seat pocket in front of you is not just provided for rubbish!

It was nice to talk to someone else who was also comfortable talking to random strangers they meet and listening to stories they have to tell.

We talked about technology, blogging, youtubing, facebook, smartphones, the internet, where Ive been whilst in Melbourne, events and places I am planning to go to throughout the year, possible funding cut for this year's Le Nuit Blanche in Melbourne, relocating to Melbourne, Geelong, his camping trip at Coffs Harbour, Vegan food, my plans to write a book entitled "My CV" which is all about the scandals that occurred at the companies I had worked for, helping others out, what he was going to do in Sydney for 5 hours in transit and various other things and even something that was bothering me and spoiled my trip away when asked if I had any sleep during the night.

I don't know exactly why but I actually felt quite happy after my visit to Melbourne except for the disturbing text I received late on Sunday night from someone I had been trying to unfriend for sometime while I was trying to blog that night hence having to abandon my blogging that night. I suppose it has to do with me finally moving on with my life and keeping myself busy with attending events and travelling then blogging and/or youtubing everything, meeting new people and of course work and exercise as well as studying leaving no time to feel sad. I am really loving what I am doing although not making any money from it. It would be wrong of me to return to my career of 20 + years which was just not me.

You only have one life and I tell this to everyone and also say not to waste it. "Life is short play hard"

Arriving in Sydney I said my good bye. I took the older man seated next to me on the train's advice - when I arrived home I had a shower, a snack, brushed my teeth and had a few hours sleep before heading to work. Forget catching up on blogging and catching up on the coding course.

Arrived at work at 12.30 pm and helped out with the move to the new store including all of us leaving a "I was here " time capsule mark behind the counter wall signage. Finished by 5.30 pm as most of the hard work had been done - I feel a little bad about being in Melbourne whilst all my work collegues , manager and owner were slogging it out from the break of dawn to late into the night with the move. Store looked great and on time for tomorrow's opening. ( refer photo of new store and staff Wednesday opening day on my Facebook)












Oops sorry nobody can see my facebook.






























No comments:

Post a Comment