Wednesday 12 October 2016

Thursday 13th October 2016 - Total Recall - Samsung Note 7

I am sure a lot of people out there will be able to relate to this.

A week before the first Samsung Note 7 recall I purchased one and it took quite a few hours after purchasing it and prebooking an appointment to see technical support to transfer all my data over from my Note 3 to my new Note 7 - yes all 3 + years of it! After synching did not work, Smart Switch was used and just as well it worked as my diary is my life.

It then took over 2 weeks after the first recall was announced before I got a replacement Note 7 phone. I was very angry as on the day I handed back my original Note 7 back to the Samsung store in the city I was advised would get one by next Thursday. I was sick with the flu that week but still made the effort to get to the store to pick it up. When I arrived there was only 1 rep processing the replacement phones so I waited about half an hour only to find out that Samsung was only replacing 250 phones that night and looked on the list to see where in the queue I was to get a replacement phone and was told probably Saturday and they will call me. Saturday passed and by Tuesday still no call therefore I rang Samsung to find out the status of my replacement phone only to find out that the Sansung number I called had no affiliation directly to the Samsung store in the city and that if I wanted a replacement phone I would have to get my old Note 7 from the Samsung store and return it to them for a replacement. Such poor customer service and waste of time I hung up on them. I had already been put on hold for a very long time being put through to the Samsung exploding washing machine department and not the Samsung Note 7 department.

I made my way into the city again to the Samsung store and advised them that I have waited over 2 weeks now for a replacement Note 7 and still do not have one so I got one eventually on the spot there that day - they had plenty of them. Now I had to do the Smart Switch all over again and again it took ages. I made Samsung staff do this for me to ensure it worked correctly - remember my diary is my life! After it was completed I went and did a random check and  it looked like some appointments in the calender did not sync over correctly so the date and time had to be reset. Ok time to test out the replacement Note 7 phone (indicated with a "S"sticker on the box to ensure it was a new Note 7 and note an original one - someone asked what the "S" stood for - Super Samsung was the response)

First thing I did was recharge it to full. No problems there. That was it. It sat in my bag for the rest of the time until.....

Quite a few weeks later I still have not used my Note 7 or recharged it again but I did take a few photos to test out its camera on the night I saw my pen pal 9th Oct 2016. Still no exploding phone experience yet!

Just as well I am still using my dying Note 3 and have not gone to Telstra to get a new conversion sim card for my Note 7 which is a Nano instead of a Micro which would mean my Note 3 would be disabled and if I had to revert, go back to Telstra for a new conversion sim card.

I took my new Samsung Note 7 to a wedding reception last night to show my cousin and when I pulled it out, everyone yelled out that exploding phone's been recalled again! Total recall of phone just happened that morning apparently it was in the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper. Should I hold on to it? Should I get a replacement Galaxy 7? Should I get a refund in full? Production has stopped completely after this second recall.

The whole point of buying a Samsung Note was the stylus -  the intelligent s pen. No other "phablet" has one. Therefore I have no choice except to get a refund and continue to use my dyng Note 3.
I love my Note 3 and believe it was the best Note produced in the Samsung Note series. I did not buy Note 4 or 5 because they were both flawed in one particular feature - internal and external memory limitation - ie no sd card external memory expansion card reader.

It's a pity about the Note 7 as it is a brillant phone but my only complaint (apart from the exploding battery) is the stupid "edge" feature of the phone - leave the flat screen alone!!! Fantastic camera but when I looked at all my photos taken on the Note 7 screen all our heads are distorted due to the "edge" on the screen - not a good look!

If Samsung had produced a Note 6 - what ever happened to the Note 6? - there wasn't one! Maybe Samsung would not have had the exploding battery problem.

People were encouraging me to either convert to the new iphone 7 which is still in its early days therefore no problems have appeared yet or look at other new release phones such as google phone - the Pixel phone. I tend note to buy the series 1 of any new release phone usually series 3 or 4. Prototypes or Alpha new release phone tend to be very buggy. I am considered an early adopter of technology but not that early.

I am not convinced about any alternative phone yet.

Any suggestions comments feedback appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment