Tuesday 31 January 2017

Saturday 28th January 2017 - Robert Lee YMCA & Shopping @ Metrotown

Yesterday I tried to renew my membership for the YMCA which I take out every year for a month or so but this year was unable to again due to the new Federal banking legislations which prohibits a visitor or non resident of Canada from holding any Canadian bank accounts. I needed one to pay for my annual membership - you cannot pay with a foreign bank account - now you can see the frustration I am facing on my annual visits to Canada. Next I will find I won't be able to access my own property in Canada! I am already paying for an Eta just to visit Canada - "DEAR PRIME MINISTER TRUDEAU WHAT PART OF BEING PART OF THE COMMONWEALTH DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND? I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU REQUIRE AN ETA TO VISIT COUNTRIES SUCH AS THE US BUT SURELY COUNTRIES OF THE COMMONWEALTH SHOULD BE FREE TO TRADE AND TRAVEL BETWEEN WITHOUT RESTRICTIONS - ISN'T THAT HOW COUNTRIES OR MEMBERS OF THE EU OPERATE?"

In the end the Robert Lee YMCA were kind enough to give me a guest pass vaid for February 17. Memberships could see I annually use the YMCA during my visits.
I will just have to take out a visitors membership when I arrive in Toronto - just one more thing to think about when I arrive - it will be my first visit to the Eastern Canada and at the moment I am more worried about airport connections to Toronto via Vancouver and finding my way around then anything else!

I ended up doing a shallow acqua fit class at the YMCA from 9 am - 9.45 am. I went full bore in this class. After eating that breaded oyster poh boy with maple slaw I really needed a workout. No time for breakfast provided by the HI Downtown Vancouver - I just grabbed a bagel muffin and some juice and put it in the fridge for later on as breakfast is only between 8 am and 9.45 am.

The rest of my day was packing laundry and organising stuff in general as well as a quick trip to Metrotown by sky train to shop for last minute gifts for people and some lunch/dinner.

No time for  visiting relatives this year or Chinese New Year Celebrations which start on 28th January ( my monkey year has finally ended and it is now the year of the rooster for those of you who are unfamiliar with the Lunar calender).

First things I do when I reach Metrotown by skytrain is stare at the rather large construction site surround the station and its connection to the main entrance of Metrotown via an overpass which has been completely blocked off and replaced with a very steep and long set of temporary metal stairs. Leading to the main bus interchange below and lower mall's main entrance - is now the only way into the mall via the sky train. Warning during construction and upgrade of Metrotown skytrain station there are absolutely no elevators or escalators - the only way to get to Metrotown if you are unable to use the stairs is to alight at the skytrain station before Metrotown ie  Patterson and use their elevator or escalator and board their shuttle bus from street level to Metrotown. A majority of the skytrain system is built very high above ground level although sections of it are actually underground below street level via long tunnels eg Oakridge and Vancouver City Centre on The Canada line and Granville  and Burrard on the Expo/Millenium lines. Many of the stations conncting via underground or overhead pass directly across from major shopping malls.

Metrotown Skytrain and bus interchange reminds me of Chatswood or Bondi Junction interchanges except on a larger scale - which are considered major suburban hubs.

(Photos attached)








The second and third things I do are seek out Purdys Chocolates for the little red envelopes containing chocolates coin for Chinese New Year which I purchase every year - not one left at any Purdys Chocolate shops and I sought out quite a few on my adventures. Next stop T & T  my favourite supermarket for all types of Asian groceries - food glorious food . You will find almost everything here cooked or fresh Chinese Japanese Korean Indian Taiwanese Indonesian etc . The cakes the pastries the breads the buns the steamed and fried dumplings bbq chicken duck even turkey fish pork the prepared meals etc deap fried steamed poached roasted hot cold the bubble tea the milk teas even coffees the fruit the vegetables frozen and fresh and the list is endless then there are general items cosmetics toiletries homeware and cookware pharmaceuticals candies savoury snacks chocolate cookies and biscuits bottled drinks and water teas dairy products - I even found Yakault made under licence here last year! My favourite is the freshly baked half loaf thickly sliced 60 % wholewheat bread - so I start off with putting a loaf of this in my basket. This will be great with vegemite with its slightly sweet taste which I usually prepare as one of my extra snacks for the long plane trip home. Next a rather large Chinese New Year traditional rice cake - because it is made locally in Richmond and there are a variety of flavours I could not decide so had to come back to it and finally opted for the walnut flavour one - this was not a plane snack for me it was a gift for my dad. Then onto my annual food indulgence BBQ duck pre cut up into pieces on the bone - this will be for my dinner and for breakfast as well along with other vegetables or fruit. Finally feeling a bit hungry I also treated mysrlf to some steamed seafood dumplings - I am binging as I am actually allergic to shellfish and these dumplings usually consist mainly of shrimp.

(Photos attached )













































After T & T it was general shopping - I bought myself a pair of YAKTRAKS to replace the pair of cleets I lost in Tasmania at Dove Lake . They were YAKTRAKS ACTIVE and instead if pullover and spikes they had a strap and coils as well so are less likely to fall off. Very important purchase as I will need them on my second upcoming trip to icy snowy wet and cold Eastern Canada.

Final shop around Metotown and downtown Vancouver for gifts for my niece nephew and work collegues. Settled on Old Navy blue floral leggings and a lace cream long sleeved top and a pink charity t shirt for my niece.

I also picked up some cream for my alkergies at The Great Canadian Superstore - noticing in the rather large clothing department posters of Miranda Kerr modelling for the budget clothing brand Joe Fresh - There was this really hideous dark paisley dress  which in the fashion world had absolutely "no hanger appeal" and it wasn't even on sale. Only Miranda Kerr on posters could make this hideous dress wearable!

I did see a few Joe Fresh dresses that I did like but did not buy any - maybe on my next trip.

Back to the hostel to catch up on my Future Learn courses on smart cities and becoming a digital citizen - I am still so behind despite countless nights up late in Whistler reading and posting.

Dinner and sleep - last day in Vancouver before flying home tomorrow night.






No comments:

Post a Comment