Saturday 14 January 2017

Sunday 15th January 2017 - Sydney Festival Part 2 - Scent of Sydney @ Carriageworks by Cat Jones

Well what can I say, we have 5 senses and just using 2 of them hearing and smell is an interesting experience.

Inside Bay 19 at Carriageworks a dark room with overhead lights with a set of 5 tables each arranged with seating and headphones around them. Each table is catergorised into the following :

Competition - Icons of a Lost Economy and The Agility of Being Whole
I think I left the best until last. "Icons of the lost economy" , anything that smells as what was described as "chocolatey" must be appealling. Probably my favourite scent cone but the other scent cone "The agility of being whole" which to me smells of mould or soil was pretty disgusting and a contrast.

Extravagance - Praxis and Celebration
Mardi Gras and NYE Fireworks was all I could pick up from the scent cones at this table.

Democracy - Regurgitation and Everyday Braveries
If you have ever heard anyone say "the sweet smell of democracy" then you will like the scent cones on this table. To me it just smells a little like incense.

Resistance - Shades of Mettle and Zaatar Wah Zait
One of the scent cones wasn't too bad - who wouldn't like the smell of " thyme oil oregano majoram caraway sumac olive oil sesame bread and discovery within a freshly washed jumper"? - well maybe not the jumper which could smell of wool wash ie eucalyptus, moth balls or lavender or just a smelly sock .

Landscape - Dharawal and Storms of the Weightlessness
No comment - smell for yourself.

On each table there are 2 scent cones. You put the headphones on at each table and listen to each of the commentaries while picking up each of the 2 scent cones to smell.

(Photos attached)






Walking out into the large foyer area of Carriagewotks I can still smell some of the scents - it is on my hands my left hand smells different to my right hand from picking up diffrrent scent cones. Too bad it isn't the chocolate scent lingering!

Part of Sydney Festival on during most of January 2017.

Rating : 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment