Sunday 15 January 2017

Sunday 15th January 2017 - Sydney Festival Part 3 - House of Mirrors & Meriton Festival Village Hyde Park North

After attending Scents of Sydney at Carriageworks I decided to visit The Sydney Festival's Meriton Festival Village at Hyde Park North and The House of Mirrors.

I visited the Festival Village first upon arrival at Hyde Park North - the free live evening entertainment had not commenced yet but the food and wine concessions, stalls and trucks were all in full swing and the public picnic live entertainment area was already quite full. Those that were lucky enough scored a free red square plastic picnic mat from one of the festival sponsors.

I walked around the festival village to the other end where there was a building called the Hall of Mirrors. I asked the security guard if that was where the maze was and he advises no that is at the other end outside of the Festival Village. I overheard another person at The House of Mirrors also make the same mistake.  No I did not want to see the circus!

I purchased a ticket to enter The House of Mirrors straight after I took some photos inside the Festival Village. The entry fee to the House of Mirrors was $10 - cash and card accepted at the venue ticket booth.

Like "The Beach" there was a line up but it did not take very long to get inside the entrance of  "The House of Mirrors" although recommended time inside is 30 minutes. I think people were concerned that they would not be able to find their way out via the exit - I was, myself a little afraid that I would not,  but I was reassured that there were staff inside of "The House of Mirrors" to assist and if you are still inside at 11 pm closing time someone would find you and get you out.  I went on my own and I was a little anxious about going because I am really bad with mazes and labyrinths. All the ones I've previously been to I had been to with others. I think it would have been a lot scarier if there were very few people or no one else inside "The House of Mirrors". Luckily there were too many people inside tonight to be scared or get lost.

It was a lot of fun but I managed to find the exit in about 15 minutes. Once in there I actually enjoyed it - all around me people were "lost" - there were mirrors everywhere. We were told not to touch the mirrors but if we bumped into them it was forgivable. Even when I told people the door in front of me was the exit, some were convinced that it wasn't and that it just led to an atrium.  Yes it did lead to an atrium which was a great spot for final photos particularly selfies but there was another secret door hidden amongst the panels of mirrors which did open up and lead to the real exit out of "The House of Mirrors".  It was really funny since I found the entrance in 15 minutes I decided to turn back and take some more photos - others had the same idea making the comment "$10 I'm going back in to get my money's worth!". Others weren't getting anywhere -  they ended up back at the entrance and not the exit - oops start again. Another person I overheard making a comment about how they thought they expected to see different types of mirrors that distort your figure making you fat or thin tall or short - disappointed nah! They were just happy the mirrors made them look normal and not fat and short! - I think they were also confusing the "House of Mirrors" with the "Hall of Mirrors" that was at the other end of the festival village as I was when I arrived earlier.

(Photos attached)





















Rating : 8/10  - What goes in must come out. Queue time not too bad. On during most of January 2017








No comments:

Post a Comment