Thursday 26 January 2017

Thursday 26th January 2017 - Australia Day In Whistler

After 3 days of skiing I needed a break therefore booked myself in to do a snow shoeing tour at the very last minute with Canadian Wilderness Adventures away from Whistler Village out at Callaghan Valley.

Callaghan Valley is one of the old 2010 Winter Olympic sites. It is a 25 minute shuttle bus ride to get there. Once out there you have a choice of doing the prebooked snow shoeing tour or dog sled tour.

I love snow shoeing.  The quietness of the wildness away from any snow boarders or skiers. There was only 4 of us on this "Medicine Trail" snowshoeing tour. A good chance to test out my new snow shoes although shoe shoes and poles are provided. I should have taken my poles as the snow was very icey in some of the snowshoeing trails we went on. Be warned this is not an absolute beginner tour as there are some icey steep narrow uphill trails.

Along the way our guide explained to us about wildlife that may be out there, we snowshoed over 2 snow covered frozen lakes and saw amazing views of a partially frozen creek fed by freezing glacial waters where in the summer although unsuitable for swimming in due to the waters freezing temperatures, is a popular creek for kyaking and although too far inland for salmon has a trout habitat.

We didn't have much time for photos but when we had a fungi tea and granola bar break beside our first frozen lake stop, I took the opportunity to take s few photos of my stuffed possum with an Australia flag drapped around it outside an old trappers cabin. These log cabins were once used by trappers and are the size of a capsule hotel or dog house - tiny just enough for an adult to curl up in to seek shelter from the harsh weather and are extremely basic.

We also learnt about edible forest tucker mainly fungus growing symbiotically on fir trees and also about a poisonous tree.

It was a very strenuous workout leaving me hot and sweaty.

Rating 9/10 - my first time doing a snowshoeing tour with this Canadian adventure company. Worth doing beautiful scenery no tour ever the same.

We arrived back in Whistler Village around 3 pm in time for arpre ski - The Longhorn was in full swing with Australia Day celebrations complete with dancing on tabletops beer flags dress ups balls and a live DJ - the non Australian cameras were snapping!

Have fun at Australia Day celebrations tonight  - me? not me, I am packing and going to see a foreign movie tonight - My Love,Don't Cross That River a film from South Korea. Run on a monthly basis by the film movement at Whistler library usually on a Thursday night starting at 7 pm, many of the foreign films are award winning ones. The library receives them on s subscription basis and have no idea in advance what film they will receive. If you miss the films preview it is on loan from Whistler library the next morning.
Rating 9/10 - I look forward to attending this whenever I am in whistler.  Free to attend and free pop corn provided just check schedule online.

Photos below











No comments:

Post a Comment