Monday 15 January 2018

Monday 15th January 2018 - Bowen Island Horseshoe Bay & Park Royal Village

So I woke up late today - I just feel so tired.

Today I took the # 250a bus from downtown to Park Royal then got onto the #257 from Park Royal to Horseshoe Bay. There was a bot if confusion as to the bus schedule to Horseshoe Bay - this was due to the changes in the ferry schedule. There was no bus schedule for bus  #250 and the schedule for the Horseshoe Bay Express bus # 257 was incorrect and the schedules online were very difficult to read. One bus every hour on a weekday - seemed ridiculous! Outrage.

The bus driver on the # 250a bus advised used that there should be a 257 in about 15 minutes - now that is more reasonable.

The express bus to Horseshoe Bay was really an express bus once it hit the highway it was flying along and instead of the 70 or so minutes I thought it would take,I was at Horseshoe Bay Ferry Terminal in about half an hour. Time to purchase a ticket for the next ferry sailing to Snug Cove Bowen Island which was not until 2.20 pm. Plenty of time but it is a long walk to the "A" waiting area up the stairs and along a long overhead walkway.

Once you reach the waiting area you have to wait until an anouncement is made for all vehicles to drive onto the ferry first then all foot passengers are asked to go downstairs (yes more stairs - those with lots of luggage struggle as I did not see a lift) and wait to board. Return tickets are collected before boarding the ferry. Because all the vehicles have boarded and parked very closely together on the ferry, it makes it very difficult for foot passengers to pass between then to get to the upper decks vua sets of narrow staircases.

Once on board there are 2 levels on the ferry - normal seating and a small cafeteria on the upper deck. Both have good views and access to an outdoor deck area to take photos. It can get quite windy and rough outside though so I prefer to stay inside the ferry.

On board are toliets and the ride from Horseshoe Bay to Snug Cove is only about 20 minutes.

Once the ferry was approaching Snug Cove an announcement is made for foot passengers to go downstairs and prepare to disembark.

I took a video of how the bridge is lowered to allow foot passengers to disembark first before vehicles.

So here I am on Bowen Island. The island has many hiking trails which I decided not to go on as I only planbed to spend an hour or so on the island before returning on the 4 pm ferry back to Horseshoe Bay.

The library and bakery I wanted to visit were both not open as it is a Monday - lazy islanders. However the general store and other shops were open. Looked as if the medical centre pharmacy liquor store abd a few other shops were open but the rather large post office did not seem to be open. They actually have a public bus on the island although I don't think it runs very often. The yellow school buses definitely were.

Many students residing on Bowen Island go to school in Vancouver and vica versa.

The island has most things residents need however I did not see a Rogers Telus Bell or Fido on the island.

Photos attached

I purchase some snacks for my ferry trip back from the general store.













4 pm time to board the ferry but not before I took a final photo of my stuffed possum wedged in the gates of the ferry terminal.

Arriving at Horseshie Bay I did not get on the first bus back to Vancouver but instead stayed to take a heap more photos before boarding the # 257 express bus back to Park Royal where I did some shopping and had a meal at Wholefoods in Park Royal Village as there won't be on in Whistler! Love Wholefoods.

Decided to catch a bus back to Vancouver.
End of another day of my vacation and another place to tick off my bucket list.

It is forecast to continually rain until I fly back to Sydney in less than 2 weeks time therefore tomorrow is final possible YMCA gym day and other cheap Tuesday activities indoors before heading off to Whistler.








No comments:

Post a Comment