Sunday 28 January 2018

Saturday 27th January 2018 - Last Few Days In Rainy Vancouver

I make the most of my last few days in Vancouver where it is wet and even cold towards the evening with a nice clear patch during the afternoon.

8 am - skipped breakfast and headed straight to the YMCA to do one last Shallow Aquafit class. I was a little early therefore hit the hot tub before the class started at 9 am. Had a shower and change of clothes.

11 am back at the HI make breakfast - NZ lamb with 2 scrambled eggs a pear and banana and some hot tea. Cleaned up and sorted my stuff out. I only took up my backpack and carry on wheelie bag upon checking in yesterday - smart move as  I find that the lift is out of order yet again during my stay over the weekend and I depart Monday morning - can you imagine going down 4 flights of stairs with a very large ski bag and suitcase!

On to my next stop - Dining Out Vancouver Street Food City at the back of the Vancouver Art Gallery is a collection of food trucks parked with a few stand up undercover tables set up and a radio station tent.

Traditionally I have either a smoked salmon and slaw burger or breaded oyster poh boy with slaw each year from Kaboom but this year I broke with tradition and had a baked potato with turkey gravy cranberry sauce and stuffing from Taters instead - I suppose a healthier option to poutine with no cheese. I did sample both the turkey and seafood before purchasing and I love the seafood with cream sauce but was scared my lactose intolerance would get the better of me so I had the turkey stuffed potato.

I was still hungry after finishing this therefore tempted to have Tacofino' s fish tacos. Tacofino is a famous food truck in Vancouver having been around for many years - just as famous as Japdog (which I did not have this year) , yet I have never tried Tacofino. Did not end up getting fish tacos - maybe later before I depart.

Onto where to next - I was going to go to Metrotown as they don't  close until 9 pm on a Saturday night however decided to go to Park Royal West Van only to find the shops close at 7 pm.

I ran out of time - spent too much time at the new Loblaws supermarket and Bathworks. Wanted to spend more time at Simon's but they closed and I didn't  get to try on clothes. Do I really need them? No a haircut is more important but I can't  find any hair dressers around anywhere!

No time for Park Royal Village either.

Back to the HI on the # 257 express bus to downtown. Walk to connect to the #2 bus getting off at Davie Street.

So tired haven't  eaten or done my laundry. Still catching up on my blogs it is 1 am in the morning.

Photos attached




Turkey gravy stuffing and cranberry sauce in a baked potato from Taters food truck - it was a toss up between a creamy seafood toping or Christmas dinner topping. I sampled both but played it safe being lactose intolerant.

 
Tacofino - I had planned to return to buy some fish tacos on Sunday but it was pouring with rain so my plans were abandoned - next year if I return perhaps?

Kaboom Box - poh boys smoked salmon and breaded oysters with maple slaw menu unchanged for years.



I didn't  try this but it looked yummy - a lighter version of a churros but with less pastry, more filling and unfortunately coated in sugar.



Rating : 6/10 . Maybe I am a food snob but this event is nothing like the ones we have in Australia. Food is very basic compared to food truck food we have in Australia - much bigger events. Same menus every year unfortunately - you would not be caught dead with for example with a mac and cheese from an Australian food truck! 













No comments:

Post a Comment