Tuesday 23 January 2018

Tuesday 23rd January 2018 - Day 5 In Whistler Lost around Lost Lake

It is almost 10 am and it is snowing again and there is no visibility of the mountains from my apartment balcony. I can still hear the avalanche bombs going off.

Looks like a no ski day today unless it clears up.

TBC.....

Photo attached at 9.45 am of the view of the mountains from my apartment. Covered in a blanket of thick fog.



I decided not to ski today (the dryer fix it man came again this morning - a bra (not mine) was found lodged inside the dryer thermostat  that was removed and replaced - still unexplainable where a pair of sunglasses in it's cover came from whilst I was doing a load of washing! ) but instead book into a cross country skiing lesson at Lost Lake. I managed to get into a group lesson at 12 noon. Arriving just in time to join . It was a good sized group. The lesson included a trail pass rental and 75 minute beginner classic cross country ski lesson.

After the class we were free to explore the trails around Lost Lake. I can't believe I completed the whole Lost lake Loop! I stacked ut about 5 times along the way including right at the end of the loop! It took me sound 3 - 4 hours as I keep stopping to take loads of photos. I even witness a couple near Proposal Corner where the guy actually proposed to his girlfriend beside the Lost Lake! He was down on one knee and there was a ring followed by the hugs words and kisses.

Photos attached - some places are only accessible by snow shoes or cross country skis. It was snowing heavily but I didn't  feel cold or wet. It was a perfect cross country skiing and snow shoeing day.















Rating 8/10. Everyone should try snowshoeing or cross country skiing. A lot more comfortable then downhill skiing! Still haven't  mastered how to stop though - not used to having no edges on my skis. I have been asked several times "What is the distance of the Lost Lake Loop?" - who knows I thought it said 14 km on a sign - unsure if it was 14 km but it was certainly not 1.4 km! A pair of beginner cross country skiers I met on my way around Lost Lake advised me they had just completed the Lost Lake Loop and if there were any more trails - there were but for experts and intermediates only. I asked if you can get lost around the Lost Lake Loop and they advised me no and that they had just done it and it is only 2 km! I don't think so otherwise they would not have missed the trails on the other side of the Lost Lake Loop  where there were a few forks in the trail before turning a sharp right towards the bridge where they were which leads back to the ticket booth.













No comments:

Post a Comment