Monday 15 January 2018

Sunday 14th January 2018 - Hiking Through Lynn Canyon, Lonsdale Quay & The New Polygon Gallery

Finally I am past the half way mark of my very long vacation.

Still no sign of my Christmas parcel but I have a suspicion of where it may be and has been delivered to. If I am correct the parcel  never left Australia and I will be taking legal action against Australia Post for incorrect delivery. I will have to wait until I return to Australia to confirm however cannot advise Australia Post to check  and confirm the location in Australia of it as I know from previous incidents they will locate the parcel as soon as they can and forward it to my original overseas address by surface mail instead of attempting to get it to me by express post ( which is of no use to me now anyway as I will be leaving my current destination soon). De ja vu - the Christmas parcel that arrives after 2 years at my overseas address when I am no longer there! TBC.....

Back to my overseas adventures.

You have probably noticed from reading my blogs that there hasn't  been that many sunny days in Vancouver and it is wet a lot of the time.

Today was one rare cloudy but dry day and every man and his dog (literally) was hiking through Lyn Canyon Park.

Usually I hike downwards towards Twin Falls. This time I hiked upwards towards the 30 ft pool and beyond to part of the Rice Lake circuit. I wanted to do the entire circuit but my French exroom mate was not prepared and all the water stations were turned off for the winter.

I could hear Chinese relaxation music or was it pan pipe music in the distant which set the mood with the fog settling over the trees and lakes.

Photos attached













Rating: 9/10 I love Lynn Canyon Park. Lots of steeps and stairs and of course the very narrow suspension bridge crossing with magnificent views of the raging water falls and water pools not to mention several other bridge crossings along the falls. Today in particular was an anglers and photographers paradise. An alternative tourist destination to Capillano Suspension Bridge because Lynn Canyon Park is free entry. Take the # 228 or # 229 and walk 10 minutes to entrance of Lynn Canyon Park or transfer at Lynn Valley Centre (near library) onto bus # 227 which takes you a little closer to the park's entrance. My stuffed possum loved it as well although he fell out of my backpack on my way back only to be picked up by a Canadian couple and given back to me and it missed falling into a muddy patch as well! I recommend you go on a sunny day and spend a minimum of a few hours there.  Stick to trails and don't cliff jump. Water & snacks recommended during Winter as all water refill stations turned off and cafe is closed. No garbage bins along trails and limited toliet stops. Wear appropriate shoes and clothing as weather changes in the "forest" Stop off at Ecology Centre first upon arrival -  donation for map.

Next stop a hot meal at Lonsdale Quay Markets of falafels and yoghart sauce. And a purchase of some salt water taffy after a free sample of one (watermelon) - a cross between a toffee chewy soft caramel and boiled lollies in countless flavours so I purchased 2 of each flavour ( there were 19 of them available at the time of my purchase). They are called salt water taffy because salt was a valuable commodity back in the old days and a grain of salt was placed in each taffy which is no longer done (what a shame vanilla caramel and chocolate would have tasted better with a touch if salt in them).

Then heaps of photos around Lonsdale Quay and up on the viewing tower.

And lastly a visit to the new Polygon Gallery by donation for the first 4 years. More photos from its awsome viewing deck.

End of another day.










No comments:

Post a Comment