Sunday 21 January 2018

Sunday 22nd January 2018 - Day 3 in Whistler

Another do nothing day. Was suppose to go snow shoeing around Lost Lake today but the British girl decided she didn't want to go because conditions were really wet.

The lines to both gondolas stretched all the way through the village to The Crystal Lodge. Conditions on the mountains were so bad today that refunds were being offered to ticket holders and avalanche bombing was still being performed on the mountains until around 9 am when both gondolas on the mountains should have been open and in full operation to the public. Rumours only a handful of lower mountain lifts were open today for the morning. Overnight there was metres of snowfalls and highwinds and poor visability covered the majority of both mountains.

By midday conditions cleared up, it stopped snowing and raining. Unfortunately I was back at the apartment going for a swim and in the hot tub after a walk to Lost Lake. I didn't even get to go into the snow shoeing trails as planned. By 3 pm it started to snow again and as the mountain closed visibility was poor again.

Not a great day for the start of Pride Ski Week. Not what I had planned for my only Sunday in Whistler either.

Photos attached.

Soaking wet, my possum enjoyed my little hike through the snow covered trails more then I did!

View of the mountains with poor visibility.

One of the bridges crossing Fitzsimmons?towards Blackcomb 



The lines to both gondolas stretching all the
way through the village as far as the Crystal Lodge in the morning around 9.30 am - upload onto the gondolas was upto a 2 hour wait due to avalanche hazards. This is what the annual Australia Day celebrations are like outside the Longhorn except full of Australian flags! (I am leaving Whistler on 26th Jan 18 avoiding this)


There is a weekly Whistler Welcome night on Sundays starting at 6.30 pm in the village with the Fire &  Ice Show at the base of Whistler & Blackcomb Mountains. Snowboarders and Skiers perform aerials and acrobatics through rings of fire. The show concludes with a brief fireworks display which I completely forgot about but caught in time from my apartment balcony it is clearly visible. I grabbed my smart phone and took some photos - no time to use the zoom function - just grabbed and clicked - in a few short minutes it was over.








No comments:

Post a Comment